MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

midget35
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/20/07
Send PM

So what the fuck's going on?
#398435 - 05/06/24 06:11 PM

I worked out today that I've put around £2,000.00 into dumping ROMS for the MAME project over the last decade, through regular contributions each month.

I receive no direct information on my contributions (yet alone the results of my contribution, i.e. actual board purchases) unless I google my name + MAME and find it in random changelogs.

This is unacceptable as I both lose trust in where money is going for months at a time, and find I can't recommend other enthusiasts contribute - simply because it is money thrown to a vacuuum. But this is just a fraction of my concern.

It is necessary for visibility to exist when people contribute to this project. It is necessary for this project to exist. It is VITAL that the leader of this project reaches out to its investors, even if indirectly, via a Patreon or blog update. Said leader is also required to account for broader lack of progress. Viz.:

I am pretty pissed off with what Haze has had to say about [you know who]. I don't generally side with people - but Haze and I have both had Pull Requests turned down / ignored that are dubious. Haze has made improvements to 'perceived accuracy' that do not contradict our founding accuracy principle. I put it to you all that replacing inaccurate facets of a game with better facsimiles of real tech is fine, so long as it is well documented in the source code. What happens when one does this? It makes people actually PLAY the game via MAME, and find other bugs that take us all forwards.

MAME is a fucking church, but not an artefact. We adhere to accuracy as our primary driver, and to the architecture of our source code (perhaps even if that means salacious bootleg compatibility). So long as we don't change course from the primary goal, everything is fair game.

This family needs leadership. We are at bereft in that department. The 'MAME 2003 Plus' basterdisation of this project is likely the most well used version of this software in the World. Even if we meet them 10% of the way - the founding principles of MAME loses exactly NOTHING!

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

Re: So what the fuck's going on? new [Re: midget35]
#398437 - 05/06/24 08:15 PM

I've been in many forums when mame devs have been frustrated about there code not being accepted, who's checking that persons code it seems like there's no consistency & no transparency.

It wouldn't take 5mins to make a list of what donations are used for each month as someone is spending the donation money.

A big change is really needed or the project just simply limps on & more devs just do less & less because they aren't appreciated & any new devs are talked down to like they're not worthy.

This is my opinion of what i see on other forums & what has been happening over the past few years.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#398438 - 05/06/24 10:04 PM

> I worked out today that I've put around £2,000.00 into dumping ROMS for the MAME
> project over the last decade, through regular contributions each month.

> I receive no direct information on my contributions (yet alone the results of my contribution, i.e. actual board
> purchases) unless I google my name + MAME and find it in random changelogs.

I also worked out today i've contributed more or the less the same either via direct PCB purchases donating towards
PCB purchases and some chips which were then used as a test run with regards to dumping some Toaplan sound MCU's
i was credited for the PCBs but not for my hand in reading out those Toaplan MCU's but it's no big deal really.

Furthering arcade preservation and giving something back was my main aim.

Arcade Addict

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: So what the fuck's going on? new [Re: agard]
#398440 - 05/07/24 05:44 AM

It seems to me that here there is a mix of different complaints towards very different people, intertwined as if there was a monolithic MAMEdev person responsible for these assumed bad behaviors

> I've been in many forums when mame devs have been frustrated about there code not
> being accepted, who's checking that persons code it seems like there's no consistency
> & no transparency.
>

There are guidelines about coding styles and conventions on the mamedev.org website, and if you read the comments to new pull requests you will easily see patterns (adopt the coding style of the existing source, order included files, etc.)

So there is both consistency and transparency, and typically cool things happens and new contributors keep coming to MAME, despite what Haze says very vocally. See the whole Dribbling netlist emulation discussion on these same boards

> It wouldn't take 5mins to make a list of what donations are used for each month as
> someone is spending the donation money.
>

Donations I guess were towards The Dumping Union, which is a completely separate entity compared to the development team. To my knowledge Smitdogg keeps a complete track of who donated towards what, and credits do reflect such list.

If you think this is not enough to keep you informed about how your donations is used, you shall write a post about TDU management or a PM to Smitdogg, and ask for more regular feedbacks.

Nothing of this is due to MAMEdevs, and I see no connection to the earlier point, especially in this period where most cool developments are not about arcades, but more on obscure Japanese kid computers, MIDI keyboards / synth, and office computers (while awaiting for Kale's progress on PC emulation, which could at last provide several nice arcade side effects)

> A big change is really needed or the project just simply limps on & more devs just do
> less & less because they aren't appreciated & any new devs are talked down to like
> they're not worthy.
>

This does not seem the case, if you check the commits log. There are a lot of new people joining to contribute towards obscure systems.
More often is real life and real job stealing time for emu-related work, and the fact that remaining emulation tasks are complex and you need both time and motivation to tackle them.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

What's going on is that you're retarded *nt* new [Re: midget35]
#398441 - 05/07/24 07:46 AM

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#398446 - 05/08/24 01:35 AM

Everything there sounds like a lack of communication and impatience. Like when dumping groups accuse MAME developers of hoarding code and updated hash dumps. Or when MAME developers accuse dumping groups for supposedly hoarding items and making them unaffordable. In both cases everyone wants things done as quickly as possible without thinking these are hobby projects and they will be done out there eventually, not when you demand credit for it.

Making donations doesn't make them your subordinates. IMHO if you want to donate that's fine, just don't expect a monthly report because this is not a job or a Wall Street investment.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

That was a reasoned and well-thought-out post that has totally converted me to your way of thinking [NT] new [Re: midget35]
#398470 - 05/13/24 03:27 PM

HTH, HAND, FOAD.

Edited by casm (05/13/24 03:27 PM)

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

answer: entitlement (nt) new [Re: midget35]
#398494 - 05/19/24 12:51 AM

i learned everything i know from KC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 653