MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Fundraiser: Alone Shettle Crew
#398233 - 03/30/24 05:26 AM

We picked up a super rare game from 1984 called Alone Shettle Crew. If you want to help us cover the cost you can paypal me. If we get more donations than the cost then the money will go toward a future game.

paypal.me/smitdogg

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU Fundraiser: Alone Shettle Crew new [Re: Smitdogg]
#398246 - 03/31/24 07:40 PM

> We picked up a super rare game from 1984 called Alone Shettle Crew.

Almost reminds me of the similar fate with Planet Probe where only one person, Bisboch, distinctly remembered the game and was asking on several different forums if anyone else recalled Planet Probe. I bet someone may have recalled playing this game, but probably wasn’t following emulation and may have already forgot the game name of this unheard of game, but probably actually played game way back then.

I recall a long ago lunch time discussion where younger male coworkers were talking about some specific coinop games they played. This was long before Digital Eclipse had been in the commercial market. One of the older coworkers swore that he had seen a French language version of Midway Gorf while he and spouse were vacationing in France. The coworkers and I scoffed at the older coworker, but he was correct.

If he were still around, he would say: “See. I told you youngsters that you kids were wrong.” He would probably have a good laugh as well. The coworker was about 65 years of age at the time back around 1987 iirc.

Dan@Flyer Fever
Early video game flyer collector
Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: Altamont, NY
Send PM

#398249 - 04/01/24 01:25 PM

Awesome to learn about an undiscovered video game from the Eighties. The maze layout reminds me of Make Trax because of the wide border radius on the corners.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

if waited until April 1, Alone Shettle Crew new [Re: Smitdogg]
#398250 - 04/01/24 07:44 PM

…could have been a supposed guessed if April Fools or not stunt.

Then users would be suspicious on this as well. *kidding*

Apr 1, 2024

Patrick Mackinlay

New working systems
--
IBM 5100 [Christian Corti, Tom Stepleton]

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/85a3c394d20e82da9e1dd6f40d2be6ac2ac3cece

On another site from 2023, iirc, someone may have been claiming the Namco System 10 being figured out and Gamshara would soon be playable was a hoax iirc. I didn’t get a chance to see if that thread actually did happen because the thread was already removed before I visited the forum.

Gridle’s April Fools stunt from 2002 on old MAME.net will always be the tops imo.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: DU Fundraiser: Alone Shettle Crew new [Re: Dan@Flyer Fever]
#398251 - 04/01/24 07:49 PM

> Awesome to learn about an undiscovered video game from the Eighties.

If you ever find a flyer for this just like the Planet Probe flyer find, you should get an MVP trophy award with your name on it.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#398262 - 04/03/24 12:38 AM

Nice to see this turn up although strange name for a game right enough

Arcade Addict

Osso1
Reged: 10/17/04
Send PM

Re: DU Fundraiser: Alone Shettle Crew new [Re: gamez fan]
#398266 - 04/03/24 12:05 PM

Digimatic was an Italian distributor. Could be New Digimatic connected?

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Alone Shettle Crew *edited* new [Re: Osso1]
#398283 - 04/08/24 10:00 PM

> Digimatic was an Italian distributor. Could be New Digimatic connected?

Fortunately all resolved.

https://www.tilt.it/deb/index-en.html

https://www.tilt.it/deb/digimatic-en.html

Expect a future update regarding the game on the site.

Edited by gregf (04/10/24 04:02 PM)

cacis
Lurker
Reged: 04/17/04
Send PM

Re: Alone Shettle Crew *edit* new [Re: gregf]
#398287 - 04/10/24 09:07 AM Attachment: 434402149_7102635453180435_5497357577518605310_n.jpg 186 KB (0 downloads)

Thanks to Federico "Wiz" Croci of Tilt, the mistery is solved. See those two images from a 1983 italian renters magazine
New Digimatic is a Rome company. Some Federico quotes in our conversation:

Quote:

- It seems they assembled PCB under French license in Europe
- they had a branch in USA, and they assembled games probably here in Italy and they sold mainly in the USA. Game are originals, in the "Hole Land" flyer you can see Tecfri licence indication; I saw also Tecfri PCB assembled by french in past
- those PCB were sold also in Italy at those fairs like Enada, but the main market was the american
- New Digimatic (which still exists today) is an electronics company, build parts for third companies (videogames, distributors, elevators, etc...)
- other indications in my opinion may be found on US magazines like Play Meter and Replay

the software of this game in his opinion may be also by Tecfri

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by cacis (04/10/24 12:48 PM)

cacis
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Alone Shettle Crew *edit* new [Re: cacis]
#398288 - 04/10/24 09:12 AM Attachment: 434802996_7282688565130760_339462789506434169_n.jpg 306 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Alone Shettle Crew - thanks for the details new [Re: cacis]
#398290 - 04/10/24 04:14 PM

> Thanks to Federico "Wiz" Croci of Tilt, the mistery is solved. See those two images from a 1983 italian renters magazine. New Digimatic is a Rome company.

Osso1 guess was correct. Great to see this be resolved and probably make its way onto MASH MameInfo and Arcade-History eventually.

As for Hole Land, I am guessing that if a New Digimatic version of Hole Land is not yet supported in MAME, probably that might need to be added to the want list. I am guessing a version with that company name on title screen actually does exist.

Again, thanks for all those details.

cacis
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Alone Shettle Crew - thanks for the details new [Re: gregf]
#398292 - 04/10/24 05:59 PM

> As for Hole Land, I am guessing that if a New Digimatic version of Hole Land is not
> yet supported in MAME, probably that might need to be added to the want list. I am
> guessing a version with that company name on title screen actually does exist.

According Federico's mind, simply Tecfri licensed to New Digimatic "Hole Land" boards building for those country you see in image (Italy, Switzerland, Greece and Portugal). While it is high likely the game was distribuited by the Spanish Tecfri in the others european countries. As renter at the time he never saw the game, maybe a rom swap with their logo could have been done, maybe not.

And about the game "Alone" he's asking (also me), if that strange "Shettle" word is basically a misspelling of "Shuttle". It is surely, but it's strange no one in USA didn't or asked to New Digimatic to fix the word before the game distribution.
Maybe it's a sample test-board? Maybe boards with correct name exist? Who knows....

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Alone Shettle Crew supported in MAME *edit* new [Re: Smitdogg]
#398317 - 04/17/24 10:11 PM

> We picked up a super rare game from 1984 called Alone Shettle Crew.

on Apr 17, 2024

New systems marked not working
--
Alone Shettle Crew [f205v, Brian Troha, rtw, Scott Jackman, Sean Sutton, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/be3f632ddf36dfb0c2c86c037347ffa7b1f92706

With this game being supported and working, and also some informative details being provided, the game will become a bit more known by users. A flyer find in the future would be a bonus.

At first, I was guessing that the New Digimatic company had outsourced some business in Asia market to manufacture the game in Asia region, but maybe still too expensive for that method. The most cost effective solution would be to do an outright purchase of surplus pcbs and import into Italy. When surplus pcbs arrive, hire a temporary crew of temporary staff to modify the pcbs to meet European hardware specific standards and then release the final product in hopes the product is a marketable success.

I now believe that was how it was done back then for that particular game. As before, my thanks to those involved along the way of getting this game to being preserved and playable.

Edited by gregf (06/01/24 05:56 PM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Alone Shettle Crew - thanks for the details new [Re: cacis]
#398318 - 04/17/24 10:23 PM

> According to Federico's mind, simply Tecfri licensed to New Digimatic "Hole Land" boards building for those country you see in image (Italy, Switzerland, Greece and Portugal). While it is high likely the game was distribuited by the Spanish Tecfri in the others european countries. As renter at the time he never saw the game, maybe a rom swap with their logo could have been done, maybe not.

Stiletto might have wanted to ask about this also since researching to look for answers was his specialty.

> And about the game "Alone" he's asking (also me), if that strange "Shettle" word is basically a misspelling of "Shuttle". It is surely, but it's strange no one in USA didn't or asked to New Digimatic to fix the word before the game distribution. Maybe it's a sample test-board? Maybe boards with correct name exist? Who knows..

I believe a typo error with “Shuttle” also. I never seen nor heard of this game even though it was supposedly marketed in N. America markets as you mentioned. Thanks with current info that you provided.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
3 registered and 657 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 967