MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

hunkpap
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/07/22
Send PM

WTF is all the sudden furore with the movement of UI keys in MAME?
#397995 - 02/18/24 03:27 AM

Is this something crazy due to screwed up control in thayers or something?

Seems to be causing many differences of opinion whatever it is...

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: WTF is all the sudden furore with the movement of UI keys in MAME? new [Re: hunkpap]
#397996 - 02/18/24 05:54 AM

> Is this something crazy due to screwed up control in thayers or something?
>
> Seems to be causing many differences of opinion whatever it is...

I'm not sure where or why it started, but part of it is the realisation that using P for pause is a carryover from the days when MAME was arcade-only. I personally use the aptly-named Pause/Break key for Pause, just like many DOS games do.

A few of the devs have been trying out various new layouts for the UI keys, and afaik it's still in progress. Last time I looked Pause is now on F5, but it might have moved again. I'm waiting for it to be settled before I learn what they've done. Hopefully someone will update/add documentation so people won't have to do experiments.

hunkpap
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/07/22
Send PM

Re: WTF is all the sudden furore with the movement of UI keys in MAME? new [Re: Robbbert]
#398000 - 02/18/24 06:12 PM

> > Is this something crazy due to screwed up control in thayers or something?
> >
> > Seems to be causing many differences of opinion whatever it is...
>
> I'm not sure where or why it started, but part of it is the realisation that using P
> for pause is a carryover from the days when MAME was arcade-only. I personally use
> the aptly-named Pause/Break key for Pause, just like many DOS games do.
>
> A few of the devs have been trying out various new layouts for the UI keys, and afaik
> it's still in progress. Last time I looked Pause is now on F5, but it might have
> moved again. I'm waiting for it to be settled before I learn what they've done.
> Hopefully someone will update/add documentation so people won't have to do
> experiments.

Thanks for your thoughts. Muscle memory is not gonna take kindly to these changes - lol

For some reason the reference to the letter "P" also made me hunt out this old British comedy sketch I remember seeing many years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nb1uWVFSRU&t=63s - Classic

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: WTF is all the sudden furore with the movement of UI keys in MAME? new [Re: Robbbert]
#398003 - 02/19/24 07:11 AM

> I'm not sure where or why it started, but part of it is the realisation that using P
> for pause is a carryover from the days when MAME was arcade-only. I personally use
> the aptly-named Pause/Break key for Pause, just like many DOS games do.
>
> A few of the devs have been trying out various new layouts for the UI keys, and afaik
> it's still in progress. Last time I looked Pause is now on F5, but it might have
> moved again. I'm waiting for it to be settled before I learn what they've done.
> experiments.

There is also the realization SCROLL LOCK key doesn't exist on Mac or most laptop keyboards. I remap the Toggle UI Controls to SHIFT + PRINT SCREEN on PC but again, PRINT SCREEN doesn't exist on MAC. Then we have the accidental exit by pressing the ESC key (or the unavailable option because no one finds SCROLL LOCK if you start up with default options). We also have the part most old personal computers have keys don't exist anymore and are unmapped because MAME so far doesn't have an on screen keyboard option. That would be a pain too because of the regional layouts.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: WTF is all the sudden furore with the movement of UI keys in MAME? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#398035 - 02/25/24 03:44 AM

> There is also the realization SCROLL LOCK key doesn't exist on Mac or most laptop
> keyboards.

I have a SCROLL LOCK so that isn't an issue. What is problematic is the "UI Paste" key is in Windows by default mapped to LeftShift+Scroll Lock, and it simply doesn't work, and never has.

So, for a few years my default is RightShift + PgDn, an attempt to use an unusual but one-handed combination. At least it works.

Unfortunately there's not enough keys for all the special inputs that people want.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: WTF is all the sudden furore with the movement of UI keys in MAME? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#398055 - 02/28/24 06:57 PM

> There is also the realization SCROLL LOCK key doesn't exist on Mac or most laptop
> keyboards.

Right, on the Mac the UI mode defaults to forward delete (the delete key in the cluster above the arrows on a full-size keyboard, which is always Fn-Delete on MacBooks).

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: WTF is all the sudden furore with the movement of UI keys in MAME? new [Re: hunkpap]
#398056 - 02/28/24 06:58 PM

> Is this something crazy due to screwed up control in thayers or something?
>
> Seems to be causing many differences of opinion whatever it is...

Nope. The devs have been collectively unhappy with the default keys (particularly P for pause, which makes developing computer drivers absolute hell) for a while, and hap broke the ice so a lot of things changed that had been a long time coming.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#398058 - 02/29/24 02:09 AM

> experiments.

That won't help, since people will not even try to look if there's documentation before saying there's none.

https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/defaultkeys.html

Sometimes I wonder why we bother.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#398059 - 02/29/24 02:10 AM

> Thanks for your thoughts. Muscle memory is not gonna take kindly to these changes -
> lol

It's still fully configurable, so you can easily change it back, or only change what matters to you, whichever.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: WTF is all the sudden furore with the movement of UI keys in MAME? new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#398061 - 02/29/24 08:09 AM

Thanks.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: WTF is all the sudden furore with the movement of UI keys in MAME? new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#398062 - 02/29/24 09:32 AM

> https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/defaultkeys.html
>
> Sometimes I wonder why we bother.

For the silent majority, that still appreciates everything... thank you.

So F5 is pause... among a few other changes... I feel like I'll be okay. 😉

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 484