Pages: 1

Mr Ric
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/25/05
Send PM

MAME Classic 9.9.4
#396988 - 09/02/23 08:24 PM

In this version:

Added : Ability to audit all machine software instead of just the selected machine's software... per request.
Added : Ability to manually edit the string passed to the command-line for MESS systems. Useful when MAME Classic can't properly determine the string.
Changed : Again, modified the way MAME Classic determines if a machine is available to hopefully show all that will run without any files (software excluded).
Changed : Software lists are now saved to a file for quicker loading. These files refresh when a different version of MAME is detected or when you right-click a machine and select Refresh Software.
Fixed : Adding a favorite from the MESS Machine list would error. Introduced in 9.9.3.
Fixed : Changing a BIOS or Category filter and a ROMs path in Options would not update the ROMs path.
Fixed : MAME Classic would not find MESS software .chd files. Thanks to Patrick for reporting this and the extensive testing of the fix.

https://mameclassic.mameworld.info

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: MAME Classic 9.9.4 new [Re: Mr Ric]
#397014 - 09/07/23 03:31 AM

Wondering if there are any plans for adding .7z support?

Thx for all your work!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Mr Ric
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME Classic 9.9.4 new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#397016 - 09/07/23 07:18 PM

> Wondering if there are any plans for adding .7z support?
>
> Thx for all your work!

You're welcome and thanks for the comment. I'll look into this. Is it the ROM and Sample sets that you would like to 7-zip?

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#397024 - 09/08/23 04:03 AM

Yes. This set is all .7z and the frontend will not open them. Says they're unavailable when you try to scan or play them.

At 1st it was driving me crazy trying to figure out what option was not correct until it finally dawned on me. I extracted 1 & zipped it up and bam! it worked just fine...

MAME's been using .7z for so long it just hadn't registered to me at first that that might be an issue. I just can't believe that no one else hasn't had this issue before me!
Not a big deal, I just have my full back-up archive all in .7z so I don't really use any FE on it, but my cab and other MAMEs are all in zip anyway so it works fine on those.

Just an observation/incident I happened upon...Maybe something for a version down the road.

Thanks again!

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#397025 - 09/08/23 02:09 PM

To be fair, the easiest way to grab or update sets... all comes as zip files. Most people wouldn't want to bother converting thousands of files to .7z, and if they did, they wouldn't be able to share back, because the file hashes and names would not match.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Mr Ric
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME Classic 9.9.4 new [Re: URherenow]
#397026 - 09/08/23 03:10 PM

> To be fair, the easiest way to grab or update sets... all comes as zip files. Most
> people wouldn't want to bother converting thousands of files to .7z, and if they did,
> they wouldn't be able to share back, because the file hashes and names would not
> match.

Interesting. I wonder how many users have their sets in 7-zip format.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#397027 - 09/08/23 04:25 PM

> > To be fair, the easiest way to grab or update sets... all comes as zip files. Most
> > people wouldn't want to bother converting thousands of files to .7z, and if they
> did,
> > they wouldn't be able to share back, because the file hashes and names would not
> > match.
>
> Interesting. I wonder how many users have their sets in 7-zip format.

-- MAME has supported 7z format since 0.146
-- The "most popular" site for some people, files are currently in ZIP format
-- Quick Google search found more than a few places that offer files in .7z format, including a very big site

i.e. ... individual users aren't converting their files from ZIP to 7z... there are simply sites that are actively maintaining the alternate archive format... not as big... but it's out there.

And... thanks for keeping this FE going... been what... 24 years now?

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Mr Ric
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME Classic 9.9.4 new [Re: Mr. Do]
#397029 - 09/08/23 08:11 PM

> > > To be fair, the easiest way to grab or update sets... all comes as zip files.
> Most
> > > people wouldn't want to bother converting thousands of files to .7z, and if they
> > did,
> > > they wouldn't be able to share back, because the file hashes and names would not
> > > match.
> >
> > Interesting. I wonder how many users have their sets in 7-zip format.
>
>
> -- MAME has supported 7z format since 0.146
> -- The "most popular" site for some people, files are currently in ZIP format
> -- Quick Google search found more than a few places that offer files in .7z format,
> including a very big site
>
>
> i.e. ... individual users aren't converting their files from ZIP to 7z... there are
> simply sites that are actively maintaining the alternate archive format... not as
> big... but it's out there.
>
> And... thanks for keeping this FE going... been what... 24 years now?

Yea, 24 years. It's been a long time. And thank you for the artwork site! I'll try to implement the .7z support soon.

Edited by Mr Ric (09/08/23 09:04 PM)

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: MAME Classic 9.9.4 new [Re: Mr. Do]
#397032 - 09/09/23 03:49 AM

Actually, when I go rom gathering for the new version files they are usually in regular .zip format.

For this backup archive though, I have ClrMAMEPro set to automatically rezip them all into .7z whenever I update.
I converted en masse when MAME added the .7z ability all those years ago.(It was a much smaller set back then!) And then when I update my other ones from the main archive, they read the .7z and just make them into .zips there.
Just the way I set it up way back then and left it alone since. Still works, why change it? EZPZ that way...

Mr Ric
MAME Fan
Send PM

#397038 - 09/09/23 08:33 PM

> Actually, when I go rom gathering for the new version files they are usually in
> regular .zip format.
>
> For this backup archive though, I have ClrMAMEPro set to automatically rezip them all
> into .7z whenever I update.
> I converted en masse when MAME added the .7z ability all those years ago.(It was a
> much smaller set back then!) And then when I update my other ones from the main
> archive, they read the .7z and just make them into .zips there.
> Just the way I set it up way back then and left it alone since. Still works, why
> change it? EZPZ that way...

I added the 7-zip support for ROMs, Software and Samples. It will be available in the next release.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#397040 - 09/10/23 01:44 AM

Thanks again!

Mr Ric
MAME Fan
Send PM

#397044 - 09/10/23 04:16 PM

> Thanks again!

You're welcome!

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#397058 - 09/11/23 12:44 PM

Nice! To include Switching between the two? I travel half the year, so I keep my whole collection on a portable 4TB. It's starting to get full :P

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 287 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 424