MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Is it possible to achieve a high score in Pac-Man......
#396700 - 07/17/23 11:40 PM

......using a controller/gamepad(ie DualShock 4, DualSense, Xbox controller, Switch JoyCon, etc)? Just asking, because I've been on somewhat of a Pac-man(original unmolested version) kick lately and have been enjoying it in MAME. But I don't have access to a 4-way joystick unfortunately, so I make do with my Sony DS4 gamepad. The problem is, and I don't know if it's just me...but I'm having trouble controlling the little yellow turd with this D-pad.

Often times, he'll go in a different direction than where I intended him to go, and I can't help but wonder, if this is attributed to my D-pad(the analog stick is no better), my reaction at my old age, or if it's something going on in MAME not being suited to 4-way games being controlled with these types of gamepads?

What are your thoughts on this topic? Are any of you capable of getting a decent score in Pac-man/Ms Pac-man with your gamepad? if so, what's your secret?

By the way I'm playing on my 77" OLED TV via HDMI, and DS4 is connected via hard wired connection.

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

Re: Problem playing Pac-Man with controller/gamepad(ie DualShock 4, DualSense, Xbox controller, Switch JoyCon, etc.) new [Re: Outrun2006]
#396702 - 07/18/23 12:27 PM

> ......using a controller/gamepad(ie DualShock 4, DualSense, Xbox controller, Switch
> JoyCon, etc)? Just asking, because I've been on somewhat of a Pac-man(original
> unmolested version) kick lately and have been enjoying it in MAME. But I don't have
> access to a 4-way joystick unfortunately, so I make do with my Sony DS4 gamepad. The
> problem is, and I don't know if it's just me...but I'm having trouble controlling the
> little yellow turd with this D-pad.
>
> Often times, he'll go in a different direction than where I intended him to go, and I
> can't help but wonder, if this is attributed to my D-pad(the analog stick is no
> better), my reaction at my old age, or if it's something going on in MAME not being
> suited to 4-way games being controlled with these types of gamepads?
>
> What are your thoughts on this topic? Are any of you capable of getting a decent
> score in Pac-man/Ms Pac-man with your gamepad? if so, what's your secret?
>
> By the way I'm playing on my 77" OLED TV via HDMI, and DS4 is connected via hard
> wired connection.

If your question is about having problems with playing pac-man with a gamepad, then you should name the topic as such. The question isn't really about high-scores, now is it ?

Having said that, I can imagine that *if* pac-man used a 4-way joystick, then you *could* run into issues with controllers that offer more possibilities/diagonals/etc.

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/25/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Is it possible to achieve a high score in Pac-Man...... new [Re: Outrun2006]
#396750 - 07/28/23 12:40 PM Attachment: Both bits.JPG 290 KB (0 downloads)

You will never *ever* get good scores with an 8-way joystick/pad for games like Pac-Man. The same goes for even better (IMHO) maze games like Eyes. These games are built around 4-way sticks. If you hit a diagonal in error, it is arbitrary as to which direction you will go in. From my experience, usually the wrong one.

So what makes an arcade joystick a 4-way one? It is the 'restrictor' plate at the base of the stick that physically stops you selecting anything other then U/D/L/R. See photos.

You need a proper 4-way stick and I picked one off Ebay. If you get get a unit that has a 'real' stick in it, you should be change the restrictor plate. Check before you buy and hope this helps.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

God, I miss those dark, musty arcades ....

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is it possible to achieve a high score in Pac-Man...... new [Re: JonBoyRetro]
#396751 - 07/28/23 12:52 PM

> You will never *ever* get good scores with an 8-way joystick/pad for games like
> Pac-Man. The same goes for even better (IMHO) maze games like Eyes. These games are
> built around 4-way sticks. If you hit a diagonal in error, it is arbitrary as to
> which direction you will go in. From my experience, usually the wrong one.
>
> So what makes an arcade joystick a 4-way one? It is the 'restrictor' plate at the
> base of the stick that physically stops you selecting anything other then U/D/L/R.
> See photos.
>
> You need a proper 4-way stick and I picked one off Ebay. If you get get a unit that
> has a 'real' stick in it, you should be change the restrictor plate. Check before you
> buy and hope this helps.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the reply my friend. Much appreciated. Sounds like I'm gonna need a stick after all lol. What I might do, is ask my friend who used to run MASSYSTEMS to swap out the SuzoHapp stick that's already in there, and put in a proper 4 way stick. I would love to obtain an actual *ORIGINAL* stick that's used off the real arcade pac-man cab. Are those sold seperately anyway?

Also, out of curiosity, would you mind telling me the name of the controller posted in that picture? Is that the one you bought off ebay? And just to confirm, is that stick a 4-way or 8-way? I honestly can't tell even by the picture.

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/25/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Is it possible to achieve a high score in Pac-Man...... new [Re: Outrun2006]
#396752 - 07/28/23 02:13 PM

Hello, yes, you will need a proper stick! The stick I bought was custom made by arcade-84 on UK Ebay. He sold a handful of these. I don't believe he makes them anymore. You can certainly buy proper arcade sticks and there are various brands such as Seimitsu and Sanwa. You can research the differences. You may need to purchase a restrictor separately. Have a look on Ebay but note that there are plenty of fakes! Not sure it makes a huge difference.

Note my photo shows it in 4-way mode. I don't use this stick mainly due to lack of buttons and I actually use Logic3 Tri Format arcade stick. Not fashionable but it works well.

A good YT channel is JoystickNY who does a lot of great content on sticks.

You may be interested in the 8BitDo joystick where you can swap out the supplied joystick and pop in a Sanwa. Thus, you can restrict it to 4-way. There appears to be a restrictor already there but I can't access the internals to confirm if 4-way or not. The joystick works well in stock form so it's a case of the 4-way bit.

Not sure I'd go for an original Pac-Man stick even if you could get one. Up to you, chap.

try this:

How to mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlHbMlXZcc

General 8bitdo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pg21tXOA6M&t=1239s

Overview of restrictor plates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLLFzy38WuY

God, I miss those dark, musty arcades ....

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is it possible to achieve a high score in Pac-Man...... new [Re: JonBoyRetro]
#396756 - 07/28/23 09:22 PM

> Hello, yes, you will need a proper stick! The stick I bought was custom made by
> arcade-84 on UK Ebay. He sold a handful of these. I don't believe he makes them
> anymore. You can certainly buy proper arcade sticks and there are various brands such
> as Seimitsu and Sanwa. You can research the differences. You may need to purchase a
> restrictor separately. Have a look on Ebay but note that there are plenty of fakes!
> Not sure it makes a huge difference.
>
> Note my photo shows it in 4-way mode. I don't use this stick mainly due to lack of
> buttons and I actually use Logic3 Tri Format arcade stick. Not fashionable but it
> works well.
>
> A good YT channel is JoystickNY who does a lot of great content on sticks.
>
> You may be interested in the 8BitDo joystick where you can swap out the supplied
> joystick and pop in a Sanwa. Thus, you can restrict it to 4-way. There appears to be
> a restrictor already there but I can't access the internals to confirm if 4-way or
> not. The joystick works well in stock form so it's a case of the 4-way bit.
>
> Not sure I'd go for an original Pac-Man stick even if you could get one. Up to you,
> chap.
>
> try this:
>
> How to mod:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlHbMlXZcc
>
> General 8bitdo:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pg21tXOA6M&t=1239s
>
>
> Overview of restrictor plates:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLLFzy38WuY

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Awesome, cheers mate!

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#396780 - 08/01/23 03:48 PM

> > Hello, yes, you will need a proper stick! The stick I bought was custom made by
> > arcade-84 on UK Ebay. He sold a handful of these. I don't believe he makes them
> > anymore. You can certainly buy proper arcade sticks and there are various brands
> such
> > as Seimitsu and Sanwa. You can research the differences. You may need to purchase a
> > restrictor separately. Have a look on Ebay but note that there are plenty of fakes!
> > Not sure it makes a huge difference.
> >
> > Note my photo shows it in 4-way mode. I don't use this stick mainly due to lack of
> > buttons and I actually use Logic3 Tri Format arcade stick. Not fashionable but it
> > works well.
> >
> > A good YT channel is JoystickNY who does a lot of great content on sticks.
> >
> > You may be interested in the 8BitDo joystick where you can swap out the supplied
> > joystick and pop in a Sanwa. Thus, you can restrict it to 4-way. There appears to
> be
> > a restrictor already there but I can't access the internals to confirm if 4-way or
> > not. The joystick works well in stock form so it's a case of the 4-way bit.
> >
> > Not sure I'd go for an original Pac-Man stick even if you could get one. Up to you,
> > chap.
> >
> > try this:
> >
> > How to mod:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlHbMlXZcc
> >
> > General 8bitdo:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pg21tXOA6M&t=1239s
> >
> >
> > Overview of restrictor plates:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLLFzy38WuY
>
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> Awesome, cheers mate!

You'll also find this helpful:

https://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands.html

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#396827 - 08/12/23 02:53 AM

It is a little on the expensive side, but if you are using the stick on a Windows machine, Trust me when I tell you.... Get the Ultimate 360 stick from Ultimark. I have been on the fence on this one for many years, and I finally bought a pair, and then was mad at myself for all the wasted years I did not have one!! If memory serves the mounting screws are the exact same size as Happ, so it would be a direct replacement. It does 2-way vertical (Defender, Stargate), 2 way Horizontal (Galaga, Space Invaders) 4-way (Pac-Man, Donkey Kong) , 8-way (Robotron, Berzerk), DIAGONAL for (Q*Bert, Q*Berts Cubes, Congo Bongo and others, and true analog (Food Fight, Red Barron, and the Thruster on Lunar Lander). This thing ROCKS!!! So easy to switch between them with software!! This is literally the PERFECT joystick. Also of note, it is silent, just like Pac-Man machines. No clicky noises from micro switch sticks.

If you like Q*Bert and/or Congo Bongo this is a MUST!!! I used UDLR with a 4 way for years,then after getting the Ultimate 360 my scores were a LOT higher, playing it the way it was meant to be played.

If you JUST want to play Pac-Man and other 4-way games Check out the Pac-Pro stick from Randy at Groovy Game Gear.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is it possible to achieve a high score in Pac-Man...... new [Re: sirscotty]
#396829 - 08/12/23 08:44 AM

Thanks for the heads up. You're referring to this one, right?

https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-controls/joysticks/ultrastik-360-oval-top-clone/

That looks hot! I've heard of Ultimarc before but never new the details of their sticks. They look amazing.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#396844 - 08/14/23 05:16 PM

Correct, that is the one. Ball is replaceable. so you can use a bigger ball like the huge one on TARG and Spectar (Think of a ball on a slot machine handle) or a smaller one like Nintendo uses. I absolutely LOVE these sticks.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 311 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 429