Frontend Tech + >> HBMAME / ARCADE64 / MESSUI
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Cleaning up HBMAME
#396405 - 06/13/23 01:57 PM

There's 2 things I want to say here.

1. Since there's no dat files in existence that target HBMAME (even after all these years), the History tab in HBMAMEUI will be removed, hopefully in the next release.

2. There's lots of useless-looking old hacks for King of Fighters (various), Metal Slug (various), Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Captain Commando, The Punisher, Street Fighter II, Warriors of Fate/Sangokushi II/Tenchi wo Kurai II, Knights of Valor (various), and Oriental Legend (various). Nobody knows what the differences are, nobody knows how to activate any special moves or modes, and nobody even knows why they are included. So next year, these hacks will be removed, unless there's something you guys want to keep. I'll keep things which are obviously different, and also keep language translations. But you'll need to point out what else you want.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Cleaning up HBMAME new [Re: Robbbert]
#396409 - 06/13/23 08:38 PM

> There's 2 things I want to say here.
>
> 1. Since there's no dat files in existence that target HBMAME (even after all these
> years), the History tab in HBMAMEUI will be removed, hopefully in the next release.
>
> 2. There's lots of useless-looking old hacks for King of Fighters (various), Metal
> Slug (various), Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Captain Commando, The Punisher, Street
> Fighter II, Warriors of Fate/Sangokushi II/Tenchi wo Kurai II, Knights of Valor
> (various), and Oriental Legend (various). Nobody knows what the differences are,
> nobody knows how to activate any special moves or modes, and nobody even knows why
> they are included. So next year, these hacks will be removed, unless there's
> something you guys want to keep. I'll keep things which are obviously different, and
> also keep language translations. But you'll need to point out what else you want.

Honestly, I'd leave them there.

At least right now somebody can download HBMAME, use -romident, and they will show up as recognized.

It avoids that whole 'what the fuck is this, is it something new?' 20 years from now if somebody finds the files.

The whole project is an odds-and-ends thing (and I really think you should just adopt the old name of MisfitMAME again, as you support less homebrew than official MAME)

McHale
Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: BFE Illinois
Send PM

#396411 - 06/14/23 12:48 AM

I would echo what Haze says but I would like to add that I definitely use the History tab and is my default view. I plug in the MAME history file because typically the parent ROM is actually covered by the history tab. I find it useful because it usually gives controller information as well as the interesting history.

I vote to keep the history tab. If you haven't tried it, plug in MAME's history file and see how useful it is.

As far as the crazy amount of fighter hacks... I'd say leave them as well specifically for the reason Haze brings up.

REGARDLESS of what you decide, thanks for everything...

-Mc

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/06
Send PM

#396412 - 06/14/23 01:30 AM

I like what you are thinking, but I respect those that want all that extra junk in there. I never play all those odds and ends fighter games, etc. and usually just skip past all that.

I do however echo what McHale says about the History tab. I don't use the History tab as a default, or even that specific tab at all really, but I do display the History on all the tabs by default, so I hope elimination of that doesn't remove the functionality on the other tabs. Yes, maybe there isn't HBMAME specific stuff in them, but all the parents used within carry that information and I always look at that, plus the stuff that comes along with having the mameinfo.dat file present.

Edit: And by the way - thanks for keeping this going all these years.

Edited by cyberdman (06/14/23 01:32 AM)

cyberdman

McHale
Send PM

#396415 - 06/14/23 06:51 AM

>1. Since there's no dat files in existence that target HBMAME (even after all these
> years), the History tab in HBMAMEUI will be removed, hopefully in the next release.

If people would help fill in the details, I'll volunteer to create and maintain a specific history.dat for HBMAME. The parent info would remain for the parent and each hack would detail information on who made the hack, what the hack entails, when the hack was added to HBMAME, etc. I think the only issue would be (as you stated) who knows that information? I've been collecting ROM hacks since the earliest days of MAME but at this point don't recall where I got them or who created them.

For the known people that created the hacks, I could begin by reaching out to them and getting their feedback.

-Mc

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Cleaning up HBMAME new [Re: McHale]
#396419 - 06/14/23 12:12 PM

> If people would help fill in the details, I'll volunteer to create and maintain a
> specific history.dat for HBMAME.

Let's see if that happens then.

In the meantime I've upgraded the history display to the same as what will be in the next release of Arcade and MameUI. The main thing is that history.xml is supported, while history.dat is consigned to the dustbin.

Also, specifically for HBMAMEUI, support of messinfo.dat, sysinfo.dat, story.dat and marp.dat has been removed, because they are not maintained or don't apply.

McHale
Send PM

#396424 - 06/14/23 05:24 PM

> Let's see if that happens then.

I have reached out to Alexis (maintainer of history.xml) for permission to use existing information from history.xml which I will then supplement with ROM specific information, while removing the things that don't apply.

-Mc

Rotwang
Life is too short to be little...
Reged: 03/21/17
Send PM

#396497 - 06/21/23 03:47 AM

Please don't remove all the fighting game hacks. Half the appeal of HBMAME for me is picking one at random and seeing what's different. I don't see what the use is in destroying information when anyone who really cares can just choose to not download them.

McHale
Send PM

Re: Cleaning up HBMAME new [Re: Rotwang]
#396500 - 06/21/23 05:10 AM

> Please don't remove all the fighting game hacks. Half the appeal of HBMAME for me is
> picking one at random and seeing what's different.

So um... if you're playing all those hacks to see what's different, would you mind jotting the differences down? It would rally be a big help!

Rotwang
Send PM

#396501 - 06/21/23 06:52 AM

> > Please don't remove all the fighting game hacks. Half the appeal of HBMAME for me
> is
> > picking one at random and seeing what's different.
>
> So um... if you're playing all those hacks to see what's different, would you mind
> jotting the differences down? It would rally be a big help!

instead of spending my limited free time cataloguing thousands of hacks and trying to justify why they have merit, wouldn't it be easier to just not delete them in the first place?

Edited by Rotwang (06/21/23 06:57 AM)

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

#396508 - 06/21/23 03:01 PM

He didn't ask you to catalog every hack, he asked you to note the difference between the games that you actually play. You are already playing these games, why not take an extra moment and note the differences and help the developers and actually help support your request to keep them? The developers would be doing you a favor by keeping them, so why not give just a little bit of effort in return?

McHale
Send PM

#396509 - 06/21/23 03:33 PM

> instead of spending my limited free time cataloguing thousands of hacks and trying to
> justify why they have merit, wouldn't it be easier to just not delete them in the
> first place?

I'm working on an HBMAMEUI specific history.xml file and since you SPECIFICALLY said you play random fighter games so you can see what the differences were I thought it wouldn't be all that much trouble to write down a few words on what you find if you find them.

You know... be PART of the community as opposed to just watching the community and taking advantage.

Rotwang
Send PM

#396513 - 06/21/23 05:55 PM

if i'm given some assurance that all these hacks won't all get removed by next year anyway, i will.

i might not have contributed any code to mame, but I was one half of the team that did that 3 player final fight hack and that ported the tournament battle mode to ssf2x, I've authored or helped author several arcade rom hacking tools directly facilitating things like that sf2 mix hack, and ive reverse engineered all the differences in sfii rainbow edition and documented the previously unknown dip switch settings in that bootleg which are now in mame. among other things. don't accuse me of being some feckless leech

McHale
Send PM

#396515 - 06/21/23 07:59 PM

> if i'm given some assurance that all these hacks won't all get removed by next year
> anyway, i will.
>
> i might not have contributed any code to mame, but I was one half of the team that
> did that 3 player final fight hack and that ported the tournament battle mode to
> ssf2x, I've authored or helped author several arcade rom hacking tools directly
> facilitating things like that sf2 mix hack, and ive reverse engineered all the
> differences in sfii rainbow edition and documented the previously unknown dip switch
> settings in that bootleg which are now in mame. among other things. don't accuse me
> of being some feckless leech

HA HA HA "If I don't get my way I'm gonna tantrum." You do know I'm NOT part of the development team, right? I'm just a regular guy trying to contribute. I assumed you'd actually read the thread since you're commenting on it.

Truly, you suck. Your comment above literally proves that.

Robert, if it were me... I'd pull every one of those hacks just because of entitled children like this one.

Rotwang
Send PM

#396518 - 06/22/23 12:26 AM

The whole idea of sifting through a handful out of the thousands of fighting game hacks, documenting their differences by the end of 2023 just to have the rest that were overlooked get culled is completely farcical. I'm happy enough to document my findings as long as it doesn't mean that they're going to get thrown out regardless on someone's whim. Again, the pragmatic solution here is to simply leave them all as-is, and I agree with Haze's reasoning about this as well.

> HA HA HA "If I don't get my way I'm gonna tantrum." You do know I'm NOT part of the
> development team, right? I'm just a regular guy trying to contribute. I assumed you'd
> actually read the thread since you're commenting on it.
>
> Truly, you suck. Your comment above literally proves that.
>
> Robert, if it were me... I'd pull every one of those hacks just because of entitled
> children like this one.

Is this supposed to be your example of someone who isn't having a tantrum? I never said you were on the dev team, and I'm glad you aren't because you clearly possess zero leadership ability. That you'd rather throw away the whole project just to make some petty point over a forum post shows how little you actually care about preserving these hacks.

McHale
Send PM

#396519 - 06/22/23 12:57 AM

> The whole idea of sifting through a handful out of the thousands of fighting game
> hacks, documenting their differences by the end of 2023 just to have the rest that
> were overlooked get culled is completely farcical. I'm happy enough to document my
> findings as long as it doesn't mean that they're going to get thrown out regardless
> on someone's whim. Again, the pragmatic solution here is to simply leave them all
> as-is, and I agree with Haze's reasoning about this as well.
>
> > HA HA HA "If I don't get my way I'm gonna tantrum." You do know I'm NOT part of the
> > development team, right? I'm just a regular guy trying to contribute. I assumed
> you'd
> > actually read the thread since you're commenting on it.
> >
> > Truly, you suck. Your comment above literally proves that.
> >
> > Robert, if it were me... I'd pull every one of those hacks just because of entitled
> > children like this one.
>
> Is this supposed to be your example of someone who isn't having a tantrum? I never
> said you were on the dev team, and I'm glad you aren't because you clearly possess
> zero leadership ability. That you'd rather throw away the whole project just to make
> some petty point over a forum post shows how little you actually care about
> preserving these hacks.

Ugh, you created some alternate reality in your head that simply doesn't exist. NOBODY said anything about keeping or deleting based on any descriptions of the hacks. Haze and I both shared our opinion that HBMAME should keep them. NOBODY said to remove them. A new version of HBMAME has been released SINCE this thread was started and none were removed.

I just want to document them for the history file so in the future when someone clicks on a game they will know what the differences are. I don't play those games enough to know those differences. YOU DO. The "do it by the end of 2023"... where did you get that from? RE-READ my initial comment to you. I just asked if you wouldn't mind jotting down what the differences are when you play the games. Look what you turned that into. You're a nut and your reading comprehension sucks.

Trust me when I say this, I do not want your help. And despite earlier saying I think we should keep them, I want all fighting games removed just so you'll be butthurt for the rest of your life.

Rotwang
Send PM

#396520 - 06/22/23 01:10 AM

settle down, beavis. i was going off this:

>nobody even knows why they are included. So next year, these hacks will be removed, unless there's something you guys want to keep. I'll keep things which are obviously different, and also keep language translations. But you'll need to point out what else you want.

are you capable of communicating in any way other than frothing impotent rage?

McHale
Send PM

#396521 - 06/22/23 01:17 AM

> settle down, beavis. i was going off this:
>
> > nobody even knows why they are included. So next year, these hacks will be removed,
> unless there's something you guys want to keep. I'll keep things which are obviously
> different, and also keep language translations. But you'll need to point out what
> else you want.
>
> are you capable of communicating in any way other than frothing impotent rage?

Like I said, I was just trying to document all the hacks which if you'd have put 10 seconds of thought into, and was explained by someone else above, would help support the case of keeping them. If they were all going to be deleted, why would I spend hundreds of hours documenting them?

Again, I don't want your help. And I sincerely want all fighting hacks removed now and if/when they are everybody will know it was your fault. I'll make sure it's spelled out in the history file.

Rotwang
Send PM

#396522 - 06/22/23 01:29 AM

> If they were all going to be deleted, why would I spend
> hundreds of hours documenting them?

oh look, it's exactly the point i was trying to make, hence:

> if i'm given some assurance that all these hacks won't all get removed by next year anyway, i will.

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

#396523 - 06/22/23 01:39 AM

Dude, give it up. He already told you that he wasn't on the MAMEDEV team. He has no say on what stays and what goes. All he can do is make suggestions.

All you do here in this thread is prove what is said time and time again regarding fighting game kiddies.

I understand that nobody likes to be flamed and you are certainly entitled to your opinion regarding fighting games. All of this nonsensical flaming was caused because you were being lazy by not wanting to do any work to support your cause. You can't be bothered with ten minutes of legitimate work to help HBMAME but you can spend ten minutes flaming someone. Nice! Now I know why tigers eat their young!

By the way, keep replying while you can because I suspect that once Robbert burns his eyes on this thread it will either be locked or deleted.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#396528 - 06/22/23 11:43 PM

This cheese burrito is particularly excellent. I can recommend it to anyone.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> HBMAME / ARCADE64 / MESSUI
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert 
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 411