Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SubZeroBR
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/13/23
Send PM

MAMEUI 253.1 UI issue in 4k display
#395980 - 04/13/23 02:55 PM Attachment: MameUI_1.png 245 KB (0 downloads)

Hey everyone, registered here just to post this. I run a 4K monitor and the UI icons are very small, plus there's some sort of overlapping in the search button bar and artwork etc. panels on the right side. I changed the fonts just fine. After I couldn't find ways to change it within MAMEUI, I tried to manually edit some settings in the .ini, but couldn't find anything related to those as well.

Can anyone help me with this? Is it even possible to resize the menu icons, menu fonts, search bar and the upper/right bars/tabs in this release?

Screenshot with the issues I described highlighted in red attached.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by SubZeroBR (04/13/23 02:57 PM)

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI 253.1 UI issue in 4k display new [Re: SubZeroBR]
#395981 - 04/13/23 03:53 PM

> Hey everyone, registered here just to post this. I run a 4K monitor and the UI icons
> are very small, plus there's some sort of overlapping in the search button bar and
> artwork etc. panels on the right side. I changed the fonts just fine. After I
> couldn't find ways to change it within MAMEUI, I tried to manually edit some settings
> in the .ini, but couldn't find anything related to those as well.
>
> Can anyone help me with this? Is it even possible to resize the menu icons, menu
> fonts, search bar and the upper/right bars/tabs in this release?
>
> Screenshot with the issues I described highlighted in red attached.

Already known. MAMEUI is not suitable for 4k displays - you're better off using some other frontend, or using a less-than-4k monitor.

SubZeroBR
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI 253.1 UI issue in 4k display new [Re: Robbbert]
#395983 - 04/13/23 05:40 PM

Oh that's unfortunate.

Would you be so kind to name me a few alternatives similar to MAMEUI? Used Mame32 for ages back in the 90's, and I'm returning now after 15+ years. I prefer streamlined frontend options just showing me game names in a list like Mame32 did, and MAMEUI does, but more 4k-friendly in this case. Nothing like uber fancy frontends such as hyperspin, launchbox, etc.

Appreciate the help again

Edited by SubZeroBR (04/13/23 05:41 PM)

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#395986 - 04/13/23 09:32 PM

Baseline MAME at mamedev.org now has a UI that may be sufficient for you. Double click the 0.253 mame.exe and it will launch.

You could also look at mine, IV/Play at mameui.info.

You can also tweak the various .exes DPI settings in their properties to see if it makes a difference to presentation.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI 253.1 UI issue in 4k display new [Re: John IV]
#395987 - 04/13/23 09:50 PM

> Baseline MAME at mamedev.org now has a UI that may be sufficient for you. Double
> click the 0.253 mame.exe and it will launch.
>
> You could also look at mine, IV/Play at mameui.info.
>
> You can also tweak the various .exes DPI settings in their properties to see if it
> makes a difference to presentation.

Since you have a 4k monitor (and I don't) can you also try out Arcade64 (https://arcade.mameworld.info) and tell me if it's any better than MAMEUI ?

Thanks.

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Send PM

#395988 - 04/13/23 10:00 PM

I'm at 2560x1440 on my main monitors. Arcade looks ok, the folder list on the left's icons are a bit small.

I have a 65" 4K Sony A80J OLED TV attached to my main box and when I move Arcade over to it, it takes up bulk of the screen so it must be autosizing properly to 4K. I'd imagine it would look ok on a smaller 4K monitor.

Update: Hmm, now I'm wondering if this a scaling feature on the TV because it does it for Arcade, IV/Play, and MAMEUI Classic. Maybe someone w/ a true 4K monitor can chime in.

Edited by John IV (04/13/23 10:04 PM)

john iv

SubZeroBR
MAME Fan
Send PM

#395989 - 04/14/23 12:51 AM Attachment: 123.png 1523 KB (0 downloads)

Thanks for the information Robbbert and John IV!

Work got me for a few hours today, got back few minutes ago.

I tried Arcade64 and loved it, it got me scared for a few seconds on default options, as it was much smaller than MAMEUI.

After John IV mentioned per-executable DPI options (completely forgot about that, my bad, I rarely use them anywhere in games or other emulators/programs), I changed the option to High DPI Scaling Override - "System (enhanced)" on each executable (system-wide was already at 200%), it did the trick, improving menus in MAMEUI.

I liked Arcade64 better than MAMEUI a little (bigger menu icons), and also enjoyed John's IV/Play, very minimalistic and keyboard-driven, which is what I look for. I'll configure it further and use these 3. As I'm most of the time working on PC and always playing games on spare time, being an IT/DB guy and all, no need for fancy frontends, hahah!

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it !

Screenshots after DPI changes on 4k display.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by SubZeroBR (04/14/23 01:32 AM)

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#395990 - 04/14/23 01:51 AM

> Thanks for the information Robbbert and John IV!
>
> Work got me for a few hours today, got back few minutes ago.
>
> I tried Arcade64 and loved it, it got me scared for a few seconds on default options,
> as it was much smaller than MAMEUI.
>
> Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it !
>

Thanks for trying these out - I can see that with the correct adjustments within Windows that it's possible to have a fairly good display. You can make Arcade64 look a little better by selecting different colours in the backgrounds of the panes. In MAMEUI you can load up a background image of your favourite theme instead of the boring white default.

I really need to download all the current free frontends and see what the state of play is on normal-sized monitors. I'm just an old-aged pensioner with a lot of medical problems so can't afford to buy a giant-sized 4k monitor, and even if I did there's nowhere to put it.

So, thanks John and SubZeroBR for testing for me.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#395991 - 04/14/23 02:56 AM

FWIW -

I was also going to mention that he should download the icon packs on Johns' site too(http://www.mameui.info/). Up to date and really nice replacements for the ol' rom & circle icons. Unless that's what you prefer, they are very minimalist.

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI 253.1 UI issue in 4k display new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#395992 - 04/14/23 03:11 AM

Thanks for the plug, been doing them since '97, laugh.

When MESS was integrated I didn't care so much about the computer/calculators/etc. items but I've been slowly adding some and just uploaded a new icons and snap update pack with the changes.

john iv

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#396001 - 04/14/23 01:29 PM

> I really need to download all the current free frontends and see what the state of
> play is on normal-sized monitors.

Well, I've begun testing other frontends, man what a miserable bunch. Half this stuff doesn't even work, or I can't figure it out.

I'll make a new thread in EmuChat with the final results when I'm through.

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert 
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 396