MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

cyborgen
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/28/17
Send PM

Tourbox does not work in Mame
#395542 - 01/15/23 01:20 PM

Bought a tourbox for editing and animation
it is a controller with many buttons and a
knob in the middle.

This is a Tourbox

From the first day I got it
I was looking forward to play
Tempest
Arkonid and Pong
in Mame64
Favorites when I was a boy.

But Mame64 does not see Tourbox
or even with Tourbox own interface
where it uses keyboard shotcuts

The intarface works in my editing and animation softwares
but in Mame64 it does not respond

This is link to Tourbox
https://www.tourboxtech.com/en/

Thx in advance for replies

Edited by cyborgen (01/15/23 01:38 PM)

Classic80sGMR
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/13/20
Send PM

Re: Tourbox does not work in Mame new [Re: cyborgen]
#395544 - 01/15/23 03:55 PM

I can’t speak specifically about Tourbox but I have gotten many odd controllers to work. Focus on Tempest and the dial.

Can you assign the dial to mouse X?
If yes you should be able to move the dial left and right and the mouse pointer will move. If that works then you would learn it into Dial Analog X. You then can leave Dial Analog Inc/Dec blank or delete them (not needed).

If you can’t assign as a dial or the dial creates a click each time you move it then assign turning the dial left to <- and right to ->. You can test in notepad. Type in something and move the dial left and right. Assuming that works, in Mame you would assign Dial Analog X Inc to -> and Dial Analog Dec to <-. Dial Analog can be removed or left as mouse X.

Once you have it working you can use the analog settings to adjust if the dial is reversed or sensitivity needs to be changed.

Good luck, let us know if you like it, it is a bit unusual but it pack a ton of options into a small form factor.

cyborgen
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Tourbox does not work in Mame new [Re: Classic80sGMR]
#395554 - 01/15/23 10:18 PM

Thx alot for Reply

I cannot assign the dial
to move the mouse cursor.
just mouse buttons.

I did assign turning the dial left to <- and right to ->
and it worked in a notepad.

In Mame64 Under:
Configure Options
General Inputs
Player 1 Crontrols
I assigend assign Dial Analog X Inc to -> and Dial Analog Dec to <-

But Tempest did not respond to me turning the dial
on the Tourbox I could even hear the haptics feedback
from the device, but Tempest did not move

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#395562 - 01/16/23 01:37 PM

What is "Mame64"? The official build of MAME hasn't been called "Mame64" for quite a while now. You need to tell us what actual version of MAME you're using.

Also, why do you write in such a bizarre way? You don't need to bold so many words, and you don't need to hit Enter after every 3-4 words. Just write like a normal person, please.

cyborgen
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Tourbox does not work in Mame new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#395563 - 01/16/23 03:56 PM

Must have an old version, will download the newest.

I work in graphics and it is normal for me to layout a technical question to give a better overview.

Good to know it can trigger programmers, because I work with alot of them off-site and by messages.

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

#395564 - 01/16/23 10:45 PM

>
> I work in graphics and it is normal for me to layout a technical question to give a
> better overview.
>
> Good to know it can trigger programmers, because I work with alot of them off-site
> and by messages.

It's not just 'programmers' that can be 'triggered' here (your choice of words, not mine). Im not a developer, and I still feel like the formatting of your posts looks weird (and actually make the posts harder to read, not easier). (Full disclosure: I used to have a daytime job as a sysadmin, but I doubt that that is the important and/or relevant bit here).

cyborgen
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Tourbox does not work in Mame new [Re: mhoes]
#395566 - 01/17/23 12:05 PM

I hear you, I am just politly explaining and acknowledging the offtopic replies to my question about how I can get tourbox to work in mame, and I have not used bold type or split up sentences since.

The new mame that I installed does not see tourbox, so It could be that it is a bluetooth device, has something to do with it?

mhoes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#395567 - 01/18/23 04:47 PM

> I hear you, I am just politly explaining and acknowledging the offtopic replies to my
> question about how I can get tourbox to work in mame, and I have not used bold type
> or split up sentences since.
>
> The new mame that I installed does not see tourbox, so It could be that it is a
> bluetooth device, has something to do with it?

Well, I know next to nothing about this 'Tourbox' [1] device, other than what is available on their website. Which admittedly is not much, other than that it was designed for digital painting/photo editing/video editing, and not for 'gaming', by any stretch of the imagination.

However, I assume (but you know what happens when we assume) that if you can get the device to present itself to the operating system as yet another keyboard (or mouse, for that matter), so that pressing a button on the device sends the same keyboard input to the os (and mame) as when you press the 'left-arrow' key on your real keyboard (and another button presents itself as the 'right-arrow' key, and so on) it feels like it should work.

[1]
https://www.tourboxtech.com/en/

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#395649 - 02/07/23 07:33 PM

> I hear you, I am just politly explaining and acknowledging the offtopic replies to my
> question about how I can get tourbox to work in mame, and I have not used bold type
> or split up sentences since.
>
> The new mame that I installed does not see tourbox, so It could be that it is a
> bluetooth device, has something to do with it?

If you're on Windows and the Tourbox is a glorified keyboard that won't play nice in MAME, try adding "-keyboardprovider dinput" to the MAME command line (without quotes), if that still works these days. Disregard if MAME has ditched DirectInput in the past five or so years as that's around the last time I tried that while messing around with Joy2Key (which also doesn't work in MAME without doing that).

mhoes
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Tourbox does not work in Mame new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#395650 - 02/07/23 08:51 PM

>
> If you're on Windows and the Tourbox is a glorified keyboard that won't play nice in
> MAME, try adding "-keyboardprovider dinput" to the MAME command line (without
> quotes), if that still works these days. Disregard if MAME has ditched DirectInput in
> the past five or so years as that's around the last time I tried that while messing
> around with Joy2Key (which also doesn't work in MAME without doing that).
>

I just tried this with mame 0.248, and it at least still accepts your suggestion, as this works (or at least doesn't seem to mess up my real keyboard) :

mame -keyboardprovider dinput pacman

And am I right to assume that you would need to do something similar for the mouse, like this ? :

mame -mouseprovider dinput arkanoid

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 410