MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

ThornappleMeadows
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/08/23
Send PM

Add/Delete Devices in ROM Input Assignments Menu?
#395505 - 01/08/23 05:03 PM

I would like to delete a P1 Stick control and replace it with a Dial Analog control in the "Frontline" Input Assignments menu. Wondering if this is even possible and how it could be accomplished. Any consideration is appreciated. Thanks!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Add/Delete Devices in ROM Input Assignments Menu? new [Re: ThornappleMeadows]
#395508 - 01/09/23 05:05 AM

> I would like to delete a P1 Stick control and replace it with a Dial Analog control
> in the "Frontline" Input Assignments menu. Wondering if this is even possible and how
> it could be accomplished. Any consideration is appreciated. Thanks!

What?

kmg
Your Humble Servant
Reged: 04/12/21
Send PM

Re: Add/Delete Devices in ROM Input Assignments Menu? new [Re: ThornappleMeadows]
#395509 - 01/09/23 06:49 AM

You're asking because the arcade cabinet has a rotary control for aiming? Yeah, there's no way to replace the joystick aiming in MAME without changing the source code.

FWIW, Frontline's rotary controller isn't actually analog, though it looks like a Tempest-style control. It locks into one of eight notched positions as it turns and internally presses and releases four micro switches—much like a standard joystick.

ThornappleMeadows
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/08/23
Send PM

Re: Add/Delete Devices in ROM Input Assignments Menu? new [Re: kmg]
#395520 - 01/12/23 03:06 AM

Thank you! That answers my question. I was hoping to replace the joystick in MAME with a dial control.

Thanks for the additional information. Frontline has a peculiar rotary controller that was only used in a few games. There is a guy on eBay that sells a modernized version of that controller.

I really loved that Frontline game in my youth and was hoping to recreate the experience through MAME. I'm in over my head and will give up at this point.

I really appreciate your response!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 152 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 204