Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

MAME 0.248
#394850 - 09/28/22 12:10 AM

MAME 0.248

It must be that time of month again – time for MAME 0.248! The Hartung Game Master was one of several hand-held game consoles positioned as low-cost alternatives to the Nintendo Game Boy. It was notable for its somewhat unconventional choice of an NEC µPD78C11 CPU, its low screen resolution, and the poor quality of its software library. And now, for the first time, you can relive the disappointment of all eighteen games released for the system in emulation!

Speaking of hand-held consoles, MAME now supports more Game Boy cartridges, including the Pocket Camera, the EEPROM and two-axis accelerometer used by Kirby Tilt ’n’ Tumble and Command Master, and several memory controllers used for unlicensed games and compilations.

Still on the topic of Nintendo, MAME now emulates the earliest version of the RP2A03 audio processing unit, used on arcade boards as well as early production runs of the Famicom console. Several games play sounds incorrectly with the later RP2A03G used in the NES and the majority of Famicom consoles. Several issues with Famicom peripherals have been fixed, too.

MAME’s Win32 debugger can now save your window arrangement, and there’s an option to use light text on a dark background. On recent versions of macOS, MAME’s Cocoa debugger now follows the system colour scheme.

You can read about all the exciting development this month in the whatsnew.txt file, or download the source and 64-bit Windows binary packages from the download page.

Read the rest of this entry »

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

MAME 0.248 on Social Media! new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#394856 - 09/28/22 05:38 AM

Official MAME 0.248 Twitter, Instagram and Facebook links!

https://twitter.com/mamedev_org/status/1574922756881514496

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjCPkPANpKb

https://www.facebook.com/mamedev.org/posts/540731874722109

If you can support MAME on social media, please show our social media posts some love with Likes/Loves/Retweets/Shares/etc.!

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (09/28/22 07:05 AM)

Alexis B.
Historian
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Cannes, FRANCE
Send PM

Re: MAME 0.248 new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#394857 - 09/28/22 11:36 AM

>
> MAME now emulates the earliest version of the RP2A03 audio processing unit, used on arcade boards as well as early production runs of the
> Famicom console. Several games play sounds incorrectly with the later RP2A03G used in
> the NES and the majority of Famicom consoles.
>

Hello, I'm very interested by this. Any example of games that play sounds incorrectly with the later RP2A03G ?

See my collection: here

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

Re: MAME 0.248 new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#394859 - 09/28/22 01:47 PM

Awesome ! I honestly think I have never been more excited about a new 'not_working' addition: the IBM RS/6000 C10. We used to have these at work, back when I had a daytime job as a Unix sysadmin. Just the very thought that, perhaps, sometime, somewhere in the future I might be able to run AIX 4.3 again on emulated hardware really excites me. A big thank you to all the people that have been involved to getting it to this stage so far !

kmg
Your Humble Servant
Reged: 04/12/21
Send PM

Re: MAME 0.248 new [Re: Alexis B.]
#394867 - 09/28/22 07:28 PM

>
> Hello, I'm very interested by this. Any example of games that play sounds incorrectly
> with the later RP2A03G ?

VS:
VS Gumshoe (high pitch tone in percussion line, now fixed)
VS Bungeling Bay (jet sounds, when they come on screen follow them around to keep hearing their sound, it was awful before)
VS Battle City (sound of enemies killed counter between levels)

Famicom:
Balloon Fight (last note in game over jingle. this bug didn't exist in VS Balloon Fight as it was developed earlier than the Famicom version)
Bungeling Bay (same as VS)
Battle City (same as VS)
Warp Warp (gun shots sound different, probably the older sound was intended)
1942 (player plane destroyed sound, probably the older sound was intended)

Conversely, there are probably many examples that don't sound right using an older Famicom.
Compare:
Solstice (triangle-like sound in music at start of game)
Mega Man 2 (Quick Man 2 stage's funky percussion line)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Bob Zed: What’s new in MAME 0.248 new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#394903 - 10/04/22 01:32 AM

As he often does, Bob Zed has made a video showing newly added and promoted systems and software:

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 367 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 535