View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

pacer
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/22
Send PM

Mame game discussion forums... (Solved)
#394719 - 08/28/22 01:15 PM

This is my maiden post here. I have been browsing for a bit and can see that the type of question I have does not fit the usecase for this forum.

I have come back to MAME after 20 years and find myself without a suitable joystick. Joystick now ordered but I would like to get advice on what games work well (are enjoyable) with just a keyboard or a keyboard and mouse.

Can anyone suggest a suitable (registration open) forum where such a question might get informed answers?

Or even better can anyone point me to such a list that already exists?

Thanks in advance and apologies if I have trampled on anyone's flower-bed.

Thanks
pacer

EDIT/UPDATE

I have received the joystick I was waiting for and now my only excuse for bad results is poor coordination.

Thanks to everyone that replied to me.
pacer

Edited by pacer (09/12/22 11:21 PM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Mame game discussion forums... new [Re: pacer]
#394720 - 08/28/22 07:27 PM

If you’re only doing single-player, the majority of games with digital joysticks and buttons are fine with a keyboard TBH. I can play all the beat-’em-ups, run-and-guns, platformers, and fighting games just fine.

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

#394733 - 08/31/22 09:08 PM

If want for play any game, console joypad, generic (but good quality) joysticks (6-8 buttons), usb too, keyboard too is useful, mouse for some shooting games

Recomended:
-Nintendo switch Joystick Pro (and alternatives), works with 8-bitdo adapter or more cheap, bluetooth
-PS4, PS5 and xbox one/series (all works with bluetooth great)

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#394748 - 09/02/22 09:24 PM

> This is my maiden post here. I have been browsing for a bit and can see that the type
> of question I have does not fit the usecase for this forum.

It's fine here in Emuchat but would also fit the Hardware forum.

> I have come back to MAME after 20 years and find myself without a suitable joystick.
> Joystick now ordered but I would like to get advice on what games work well (are
> enjoyable) with just a keyboard or a keyboard and mouse.

I'd say it depends on how comfortable you feel playing games using mouse and keyboard. I know a few younger PC gamers who have only ever used a gamepad who would be lost trying to play games using keyboard and mouse.

I guess you could argue that the simpler the controls the better (or at least less annoying) the experience will be, Frogger and Pac Man only uses directional controls and no buttons, Uo Poko, Galaga and Space Invaders only uses a single button and left-right directional controls. Asteroids only used buttons etc etc.

Spinner games like Arkanoid and Tempest or shooting gallery games like Chiller or Operation Wolf usually work well with a mouse. Trackball games like Marble Madness too. With a little work you can set up Ikari Warriors with WASD + mouse FPS style controls, which works surprisingly well.

Most 3D Driving/flying games that used analog controls are fun for a while with a mouse but the novelty wears out quickly. Some aren't too bad though, like Star Wars for example. You'll have to try for yourself and see how far removed from the intended experience you can go and still have fun.

S

amused
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/24/08
Send PM

#394760 - 09/06/22 07:49 AM

> Joystick now ordered but I would like to get advice on what games work well (are
> enjoyable) with just a keyboard or a keyboard and mouse.

There are more than enough mahjong games to last you until your joystick comes in. Let's face it: mahjong is practically built for keyboard play.

If you can't be arsed to learn to play mahjong (it's really not that hard), then try an Othello game, such as Othello Derby.

EDIT: I decided that I might as well just explain the rules of mahjong right here in this post.

Four sets of three and a pair.
That's right, four sets of three and a pair.
That's what you're trying to get: four sets of three and a pair.

A pair is just what it sounds like: two identical tiles.

A set of three can be either three identical tiles (like 5-circles, 5-circles, 5-circles), or three consecutive numbers of the same suit (like 2-sticks, 3-sticks, 4-sticks, or like 7-circles, 8-circles, 9-circles).

Press N to draw a tile. Then, if you have your four sets of three and a pair, press Z to declare that you have a winning hand and have the game add up your score. Otherwise, choose a tile, A through N, to discard: press the letter of the tile you wish to discard. Hopefully, the next time you press N, you will get a better tile than the one you just discarded. If not, then just press N again to discard it, and so forth.

Some of the tiles are labeled with Chinese numbers.
Here are the numbers: 1=, 2=, 3=, 4=, 5=, 6=, 7=, 8=, 9=.

Some other Chinese characters you might see (don't worry too much about what they mean): , , 西, , , .
These are not numbers, and therefore cannot be used to form sets of three consecutive tiles. However, they can be used to form pairs, or sets of three identical tiles.

There are more rules to mahjong than this, but this should be enough to get you started.
For more info (walls of text) on mahjong rules, go here: http://mahjonginmame.com/

Edited by amused (09/06/22 08:42 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 345 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 468