Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

MAME presents: Super Street Fighter II: The Tournament Battle
#393940 - 05/08/22 09:31 AM

Coming soon to a MAME near you:

MAME 0.244 will support linking four instances of Super Street Fighter II: The Tournament Battle over TCP. In practice, few people are likely to use this. However, it’s nice to have implemented for completeness.

Thanks to Darksoft for tracing out the TOURNAMENT board and dumping the PAL, and grego2d for producing a proof-of-concept implementation in MAME.

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

Re: MAME presents: Super Street Fighter II: The Tournament Battle new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#393942 - 05/08/22 12:56 PM

This is very nice to see however i'd like to know more in how you actually do it like will it work using 1 pc & 4 monitors or will you have to link over the web with 3 other pc's. Hopefully instructions will be in the gameinit.dat file.
Thanks for a nice edition to Street Fighter & hopefully more to come that link up like this.

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

Re: MAME presents: Super Street Fighter II: The Tournament Battle new [Re: agard]
#393945 - 05/08/22 04:36 PM

- EDIT -

Deleted this post, as it was incorrect.

Edited by mhoes (05/08/22 06:34 PM)

Alexis B.
Historian
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Cannes, FRANCE
Send PM

Re: MAME presents: Super Street Fighter II: The Tournament Battle new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#393946 - 05/08/22 05:21 PM

Fantastic addition.

See my collection: here

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: MAME presents: Super Street Fighter II: The Tournament Battle new [Re: mhoes]
#393947 - 05/08/22 05:51 PM

> > This is very nice to see however i'd like to know more in how you actually do it like
> > will it work using 1 pc & 4 monitors or will you have to link over the web with 3
> > other pc's. Hopefully instructions will be in the gameinit.dat file.
> > Thanks for a nice edition to Street Fighter & hopefully more to come that link up
> > like this.
>
> Since mame version 0.201 (2018), mame can use TAP/TUN networking on Windows. If I
> understand correctly, you can either run multiple mame instances on the same machine
> and connect those, or connect mame running on multiple different PC's (both over
> TCP/IP).

You know, you could have read the YouTube video description, the pull request description, or the comments in the source… The CPS-2 did not have Ethernet – there’s no TAP/TUN involved.

agard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME presents: Super Street Fighter II: The Tournament Battle new [Re: mhoes]
#393948 - 05/08/22 05:58 PM

Thanks for the extra info but i'm sure it's gonna hurt me trying to get it working.

agard
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393949 - 05/08/22 06:11 PM

Thanks that makes it a whole lot easier I hope just should have scrolled down a bit more but knowing me i'll make a mess of it, I've been dying to try this out ever since playing on the 4 machine set up years ago & it wasn't that long ago I asked about it & so quick in getting this working.

THANKS

mhoes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393950 - 05/08/22 06:29 PM

>
> You know, you could have read the YouTube video description, the pull request
> description, or the comments in the source… The CPS-2 did not have Ethernet – there’s
> no TAP/TUN involved.
>

Point taken. I assumed (incorrectly) that the same mechanism would be used here, since you mentioned TCP. But now that you clarified this for me, would you be willing to explain what does make it work, with regards to the networking part ? I see the commandline options '-comm_local*' and '-comm_remote*' mentioned in the pull request, but it is not immediately clear to me what that implies ? From the comment in the pull request, and your clarification, I now think there's no ethernet involved but there is TCP/IP involved ? Can you connect multiple mame instances running on different PC's ? What is involved in making this work, technically speaking ?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#393951 - 05/08/22 06:54 PM

> Point taken. I assumed (incorrectly) that the same mechanism would be used here,
> since you mentioned TCP. But now that you clarified this for me, would you be willing
> to explain what does make it work, with regards to the networking part ? I see the
> commandline options '-comm_local*' and '-comm_remote*' mentioned in the pull request,
> but it is not immediately clear to me what that implies ? From the comment in the
> pull request, and your clarification, I now think there's no ethernet involved but
> there is TCP/IP involved ? Can you connect multiple mame instances running on
> different PC's ? What is involved in making this work, technically speaking ?

From how this thread has gone so far, I’m pretty sure you’re not going to understand if I explain how it works in technical terms.

Superficially, you daisy-chain the MAME instances using TCP connections the same way you’d daisy-chain the B boards using cables. It works across multiple machines provided latency is consistently low and you set the addresses properly.

mhoes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393953 - 05/08/22 07:12 PM

>
> From how this thread has gone so far, I’m pretty sure you’re not going to understand
> if I explain how it works in technical terms.
>
You may be right. (perhaps I should have chosen the word 'conceptually', instead of 'technically'.)

>
> Superficially, you daisy-chain the MAME instances using TCP connections the same way
> you’d daisy-chain the B boards using cables. It works across multiple machines
> provided latency is consistently low and you set the addresses properly.
>

Thank you for taking the time to explain things.

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

#393954 - 05/08/22 07:16 PM

This looks very promising
Maybe need a set with "single mode" and 4 monitors sets, ready for use need 8 joysticks for configure the game

Masked Ninja
Mame Fan
Reged: 09/12/09
Loc: Spain
Send PM

#393955 - 05/08/22 09:33 PM

Hi, is possible added also Final Fight 30Th Anniversary Edition in oficial Mame?
Thanks....

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: MAME presents: Super Street Fighter II: The Tournament Battle new [Re: Masked Ninja]
#393956 - 05/08/22 10:41 PM

> Hi, is possible added also Final Fight 30Th Anniversary Edition in oficial Mame?
> Thanks....

What the fuck does this even have to do with emulating the network board used by one single Capcom CPS-2 game?

Why do morons like you do this - someone makes progress on one thing, and the first dogshit out of your useless mouth is "GIMME GIMME GIMME MORE MORE MORE, ME ME ME MINE MINE MINE", and not even about something related to the hardware, just some completely irrelevant shit? What the fuck is even wrong with you?

Rotwang
Life is too short to be little...
Reged: 03/21/17
Send PM

Re: MAME presents: Super Street Fighter II: The Tournament Battle new [Re: Masked Ninja]
#393958 - 05/09/22 01:07 AM

> Hi, is possible added also Final Fight 30Th Anniversary Edition in oficial Mame?
> Thanks....

It's already in HBMAME.

Masked Ninja
Mame Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME presents: Super Street Fighter II: The Tournament Battle new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#393959 - 05/09/22 07:41 PM

> > Hi, is possible added also Final Fight 30Th Anniversary Edition in oficial Mame?
> > Thanks....
>
> What the fuck does this even have to do with emulating the network board used by one
> single Capcom CPS-2 game?
>
> Why do morons like you do this - someone makes progress on one thing, and the first
> dogshit out of your useless mouth is "GIMME GIMME GIMME MORE MORE MORE, ME ME ME MINE
> MINE MINE", and not even about something related to the hardware, just some
> completely irrelevant shit? What the fuck is even wrong with you?

How brave you are writing, congratulations....

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#393961 - 05/10/22 04:29 AM

> How brave you are writing, congratulations....

He isn’t being very tactful here, but I can understand and relate to the sentiment. Most of the response to this has been, “Why u no emulate linked Cadash? Gimme SSF2X hack! Gimme Final Fight hack!” It’s not exactly unexpected in the light of past experience, but I was surprised at just how quickly people showed up begging for unrelated stuff on Reddit in particular.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

#393962 - 05/10/22 06:13 AM

Just WOW,
A monumental achievement announced in a forum meant to inform turned into such chaos.
No wonder Moog and others feel as they do!

Is there not a way to make it so that certain posts can only be replied to by users with a defined post count?

There is no law in the arena

Masked Ninja
Mame Fan
Send PM

#393967 - 05/10/22 07:36 PM

> > How brave you are writing, congratulations....
>
> He isn’t being very tactful here, but I can understand and relate to the sentiment.
> Most of the response to this has been, “Why u no emulate linked Cadash? Gimme SSF2X
> hack! Gimme Final Fight hack!” It’s not exactly unexpected in the light of past
> experience, but I was surprised at just how quickly people showed up begging for
> unrelated stuff on Reddit in particular.

I didn't ask for anything here, I simply asked if another game can be added that seems interesting to me, I got confused with SSF2TTB, I thought it was something homebrew.
I'm just a clueless user who doesn't frequent internet forums.
Actually I give more than I ask for, and I try to help MameTesters and send undocumented clones of games from my collection or that have been within my reach, and that I have lost the desire to do again when I read things like those of the type " MooglyGuy."
It's so easy to write behind a computer without showing your face....

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#393970 - 05/10/22 09:47 PM

> Coming soon to a MAME near you:
>
>
> MAME 0.244 will support linking four instances of Super Street Fighter II: The
> Tournament Battle over TCP. In practice, few people are likely to use this. However,
> it’s nice to have implemented for completeness.
>
> Thanks to Darksoft for tracing out the TOURNAMENT board and dumping the PAL, and
> grego2d for producing a proof-of-concept implementation in MAME.

Cool to see this version of SF2 being preserved. Great work, mamedevs.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#393973 - 05/11/22 03:37 AM

> > > How brave you are writing, congratulations....
> >
> > He isn’t being very tactful here, but I can understand and relate to the sentiment.
> > Most of the response to this has been, “Why u no emulate linked Cadash? Gimme SSF2X
> > hack! Gimme Final Fight hack!” It’s not exactly unexpected in the light of past
> > experience, but I was surprised at just how quickly people showed up begging for
> > unrelated stuff on Reddit in particular.
>
> I didn't ask for anything here, I simply asked if another game can be added that
> seems interesting to me, I got confused with SSF2TTB, I thought it was something
> homebrew.
> I'm just a clueless user who doesn't frequent internet forums.
> Actually I give more than I ask for, and I try to help MameTesters and send
> undocumented clones of games from my collection or that have been within my reach,
> and that I have lost the desire to do again when I read things like those of the type
> " MooglyGuy."
> It's so easy to write behind a computer without showing your face....

You have to understand that posts like yours are also very demotivating for developers. Even if I work on a “popular” system like CPS-2 and make user-visible progress, people just whine about other stuff.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 267 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 899