View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

J-P-W
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/16/10
Send PM

Help with MAME360 (.072)
#393925 - 05/05/22 08:17 PM

It's been a hell of a long time since I've used such an ancient version of MAME but on the 360, it looks like this is the last working build.

I mainly installed it to play vertical shooters... (as that's what I use my 360 for primarily). It would be nice to get a working version of Batrider/Batsugun etc... as they don't work in FBAnext.

Does anyone here know how to get vertical games running properly on MAME072 on the Xbox360?

Currently I've tried changing some of the more obvious .ini parameters with no luck (ScreenRotation = 1 oddly flips and offsets the image).

See below for the default .ini settings.

[Video]
VSYNC = 1
ThrottleFramerate = 1
AspectRatioCorrection = 1
MinificationFilter = 1
MagnificationFilter = 1
Frameskip = 0
GraphicsFilter = 0
ScreenRotation = 0
Brightness = 1.000000
PauseBrightness = 0.650000
Gamma = 1.000000
ScreenUsage_X = 0.500000
ScreenUsage_Y = 0.500000
ScreenPos_X = 0.000000
ScreenPos_Y = 0.000000
Artwork = 0

Annoyingly whoever ported this removed the ability to rotate on the fly via the in-game menu or access rotation options in the UI 'options' menu (where you can select filters etc) - which seems a little shortsighted.

I'm connecting the 360 to a 31Khz Sony PGM display monitor (locked to 480P/640x480).

Not sure if anyone can help, but I thought I'd put a thread up just in case.

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

Re: Help with MAME360 (.072) new [Re: J-P-W]
#393944 - 05/08/22 04:24 PM

> It's been a hell of a long time since I've used such an ancient version of MAME but
> on the 360, it looks like this is the last working build.
>
> I mainly installed it to play vertical shooters... (as that's what I use my 360 for
> primarily). It would be nice to get a working version of Batrider/Batsugun etc... as
> they don't work in FBAnext.
>
> Does anyone here know how to get vertical games running properly on MAME072 on the
> Xbox360?
>

Hi,

I doubt you will be able to get any help here. MAME360 (for the Xbox 360) is based on an ancient version of mame (0.72), which was released way back in 2003, almost 20 years ago now. And besides that, it looks like it was never an 'official' port to begin with. You may better off if you try the forums over at the same website that provides the emulator [1], or just buy a half-decent new-ish PC and run the latest version of mame on that.

[1]
https://www.360-hq.com/forum30.html

J-P-W
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/16/10
Send PM

Re: Help with MAME360 (.072) new [Re: mhoes]
#393986 - 05/13/22 06:21 PM

Haha - well, thanks, I knew asking here was a very long shot. I, of course, do run MAME on a decent PC (the one I'm writing on).

But what can I say, I like CAVE shooters so I still have a 360 hooked up after all these years and (most of them at least) still play great.

Indeed a more sensible route may be to dedicate a custom PC and AV rig to run MAME the way I like (at native resolutions on multisync CRT displays or cabinet CRT).

I'll try tracking down the original dev and looking at the 0.72 docs but I sense it won't be simple fixes (I'm not sure a later version of MAME will even run on that hardware).

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Help with MAME360 (.072) new [Re: J-P-W]
#394006 - 05/17/22 05:39 AM

> Haha - well, thanks, I knew asking here was a very long shot. I, of course, do run
> MAME on a decent PC (the one I'm writing on).
>
> But what can I say, I like CAVE shooters so I still have a 360 hooked up after all
> these years and (most of them at least) still play great.
>
> Indeed a more sensible route may be to dedicate a custom PC and AV rig to run MAME
> the way I like (at native resolutions on multisync CRT displays or cabinet CRT).
>
> I'll try tracking down the original dev and looking at the 0.72 docs but I sense it
> won't be simple fixes (I'm not sure a later version of MAME will even run on that
> hardware).

I was running later versions of MAME on a 1.2 GHz Celeron machine manufactured in 2001 e.g. basically OG Xbox hardware (a faster CPU clock but an absolutely terrible integrated i810 video chipset which didn't even support 32-bit display modes).

I'm sure an Xbox 360 could handle something just a bit newer than software that is pushing twenty years old; that version of MAME is even older than the infamous lr-mame2003 junk that RetroArsch keeps peddling to unsuspecting users. Running anything below 0.150 is the equivalent of installing Windows XP on an i7, or even a Core 2 Duo for that matter.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

I don't understand why people is trying stay away from laptops and computers. new [Re: J-P-W]
#394011 - 05/18/22 04:32 AM

MAME will have issues on everything else.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/25/19
Loc: Virginia
Send PM

Re: I don't understand why people is trying stay away from laptops and computers. new [Re: Dullaron]
#394012 - 05/18/22 04:57 AM

I would have to say that it depends on what your intentions are, and how ignorant you are with the system.
Prime example: I have MAME loaded on a "fairly recent" laptop with the only intention to play Game and Watch stuff. It works perfectly for what my intentions are, and I don't try to extend past what I know what I want.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of "uneducated" people out there that think that everything should run on their 15+-year-old system.
In this case, the OP expected as much, so at least he knew, but wanted to see if there was anything he could do otherwise. I respect that and also know that there isn't much more advice that I can give him to help him out.

Keatah
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/23/12
Send PM

Re: I don't understand why people is trying stay away from laptops and computers. new [Re: Moochieone]
#394090 - 05/26/22 06:08 AM

People is stay way from laptops computers because hard and computery techie!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 477