Remember the lost ones

~ Enjoy

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

Re: Flyer Fever 2022-05-03 new [Re: Dan@Flyer Fever]
#393913 - 05/03/22 10:51 PM

Thanks for sharing all these great flyers you get. I would love to know a few answers to a few questions.

What is the most you have paid for a flyer

What's the rarest flyer you have

What's your most valuable flyer you have

What is the top 5 flyers you're looking for

What's your luckiest flyer find.

Thankd

Dan@Flyer Fever
Early video game flyer collector
Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: Altamont, NY
Send PM

Re: Flyer Fever 2022-05-03 new [Re: agard]
#393917 - 05/03/22 11:52 PM

> What is the most you have paid for a flyer?
Between $600-$700 for a single flyer. Flyers I obtained in this price range include Puck-Man, Dancing Queen and Neo Poseidon Kaimetsu Sakusen. It's safe to say I don't make a habit of bidding this high.

> What's the rarest flyer you have?
If I happen to have the one surviving original flyer for a coin-op video game, then that's one definition of 'rare' but I have no idea how to find that out. There aren't a lot of people that collect flyers. At least that is my impression.

> What's your most valuable flyer you have?
Video game flyers aren't like collectibles like coins, comic books and baseball cards. Those things hold their value over time because they have a marketplace that supports them.

For me, the value in the flyer collection isn't monetary. It's the fact that these flyers exist in the same collection. Before I pass away, I intend to donate the entire collection to a museum or institution dedicated to video game history that will keep it intact and share it with the world in a way that is accessible and meaningful.

> What are the top 5 flyers you're looking for?
1. Atari Expands Worldwide - Atari (shows Pong In A Barrel)
2. The DECO Kid/Flash Boy - Data East DECO
3. Skeleton 999 - OM Co., Ltd.
4. Dracula Hunter - Tekunon Kougyou
5. Fantastic Voyage - Universal

These are the ones that come to mind. I have over 700 flyers on my want list. Many of which I saw on auction, bid on and lost.

> What's your luckiest flyer find?
Dancing Queen and Neo Poseidon Kaimetsu Sakusen, because I didn't realize how collectible they were in Japan until the auctions were a day away from ending.

I was surprised I won them, and it was all about good timing and luck. If they had been on auction for another few days, I'm positive I would have lost because more people would have known about them.

Another one that comes to mind is Fuji Televi-Five, which might be the oldest Japanese video game flyer I own.

~ Dan

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#393918 - 05/04/22 01:22 AM

Dan,

Have you thought about doing something like a "Top 25 Most Wanted" list on the site?
That way people would look at it when they visit and see the names, and maybe something would click in their minds as they peruse auction sites and see something familiar, recall that you were looking for something like that and give you a heads up. Then update the list every so often with others(keep that memory collection growing!) or if you're keeping track of all those lost auctions, just post that(or parts of) list.

But, it also may lead to a lot of dead ends and lot more work for you. Definitely don't want to rush into the burn out zone again! Just a thought for something you could try for a bit and see if anything comes of it.

I myself(as many others) have loved watching your collection grow over the years. It'd be nice for us to try to help you continue growing it a bit if we could.

Thanks again & keep it up!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Flyer Fever 2022-05-03 new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#393919 - 05/04/22 04:36 AM

Funny thing, "most wanted" lists... I've seen them cause items to mysteriously vanish from the web save for.... Worthpoint. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

#393922 - 05/04/22 05:13 PM

Wow I didn't realize some was that valuble, so over the years you've spent a lot of money then. All that money spent & you've shared scans of them & the world THANKS you for it, myself included as a lot of them give you instructions in how to play which is invaluble if you have no clue. A lot of your flyers have gone on to make artwork files so you have the how to play on screen just like you got in the ARCADES & I bet there's other side projects that have come from you sharing your flyers too, bezels has just come to mind when there isn't a bezel plus the fan made stuff too.

Thanks so much in sharing your flyers & answering a few of my questions. There's a lot of people like you that has made the MAME project what it is today but unfortunatly it always brings out the people that make money off all the contributers that share there hard work for free too.

THANKS

Dan@Flyer Fever
Early video game flyer collector
Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: Altamont, NY
Send PM

Re: Flyer Fever 2022-05-03 new [Re: Nightvoice]
#393924 - 05/04/22 11:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the inquiries, support, sentiments and ideas. The flyer collection has definitely helped other efforts in preserving video game history over the years, ranging from emulator color corrections, artwork reproductions as well as book publications.

I think publishing my flyer want list might be too much information. It's not very different than the mission of obtaining circuit boards and other hardware for the MAME effort. If one person wants it then most likely there are more people that want it too. I prefer to remain anonymous and invisible when I can.

On the other hand, you've all given me a low cost idea that I can publish on the website; a gallery dedicated to flyers that were lost and found (or perhaps 'found and lost' since I pursued them to the best of my ability and lost them to another). After all, the chances of finding these flyers again are slim. Remember the lost ones.

Acquisition of flyers has slowed to a crawl this year. I have enough flyers for three more updates and then the site will cover my entire collection.

~ Dan

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 541 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 520