MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

The ol' quarter-on-a-string trick
#393842 - 04/23/22 01:45 PM

Has anyone else ever seen someone use a quarter on a string to play arcade games for free? I've only seen it done once. I believe the game was Xevious, and this kid had a quarter with a hole in it on a string, and he would put the quarter in, it would make a louder than usual metallic latching sound, the game would credit him, then he'd pull the quarter back out by the string.

I wonder if that would still work nowadays? As I recall, the game had a horizontal coin slot that was all metal, not the red, rectangular, plastic coin slot that most arcade machines have. Maybe the red ones are the new kind to prevent this trick from working.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: The ol' quarter-on-a-string trick new [Re: mike20599]
#393843 - 04/23/22 05:42 PM

> Has anyone else ever seen someone use a quarter on a string to play arcade games for
> free? I've only seen it done once. I believe the game was Xevious, and this kid had a
> quarter with a hole in it on a string, and he would put the quarter in, it would make
> a louder than usual metallic latching sound, the game would credit him, then he'd
> pull the quarter back out by the string.
>
> I wonder if that would still work nowadays? As I recall, the game had a horizontal
> coin slot that was all metal, not the red, rectangular, plastic coin slot that most
> arcade machines have. Maybe the red ones are the new kind to prevent this trick from
> working.

Yup... I've seen it in action for real more than one, at some of the local liquor stores, back when they all had games in them. I don't remember which type of coin slot or what game though.

Story time... one day I'm playing Space Ace at the store right by my house, and while I'm playing, I bumped the machine in one area on accident, and it added a credit. It was somewhere half way between the control panel and the coin slot... I'm guessing the "add a credit" switch had come loose or something, and was leaning against the coin door, or something like that.

During the next game, I played around, and found the spot, and I kept on adding credits. Ended up playing for at least an hour... might have been two... until at some point, the owner figured out something weird was going on, then he walked over and unplugged the game.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: The ol' quarter-on-a-string trick new [Re: Mr. Do]
#393846 - 04/23/22 07:38 PM

Quote:

During the next game, I played around, and found the spot, and I kept on adding credits. Ended up playing for at least an hour... might have been two...

Laugh, and did you actually finish the game in that time? Some LD games were time consuming to initially find your way through without help. Mine was Cliff Hanger, had my younger sister nearby writing all the moves down as I went. Ran out of time and only got as far as the ninja attacks I think.

FYI Lupin III Mystery of Mamo just dropped on blu ray. It along with Castle of Cagliostro made up the video content.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#393847 - 04/23/22 09:21 PM

Done it all the time in the early 80's.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: The ol' quarter-on-a-string trick new [Re: John IV]
#393848 - 04/23/22 09:23 PM

I use to know every move on cliffhanger I could right it down at home without even seeing the game in person from beginning to end. Same as Space Ace and Dragon's Lair.

Doosh
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/02/09
Send PM

#393849 - 04/23/22 09:57 PM

That was one method. Another method was to use an electric strike from a cigarette lighter in the days.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#393850 - 04/23/22 11:03 PM

I used to work at an arcade doing maintenance and repair. Based on the coin mechs the games had, IDK if a coin on a string would work with these.

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/coin_doors/42-3079-100

That mech is very similar to what we used. The coin goes back and forth through that before falling out the bottom onto a bent piece of wire attached to a switch to trigger the game. I don't know if a coin could go down far enough to trigger the switch and still be able to pull out without getting stuck or breaking something.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: The ol' quarter-on-a-string trick new [Re: John IV]
#393851 - 04/23/22 11:46 PM

And the much more recent Lupin III The First was surprisingly good.
The 4K edition of Castle of Cagliostro is awesome!

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: The ol' quarter-on-a-string trick new [Re: TrevEB]
#393852 - 04/24/22 12:11 AM

Quote:

The 4K edition of Castle of Cagliostro is awesome!

Agreed!

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#393855 - 04/24/22 04:40 PM

> Has anyone else ever seen someone use a quarter on a string to play arcade games for
> free? I've only seen it done once. I believe the game was Xevious, and this kid had a
> quarter with a hole in it on a string, and he would put the quarter in, it would make
> a louder than usual metallic latching sound, the game would credit him, then he'd
> pull the quarter back out by the string.
>
> I wonder if that would still work nowadays? As I recall, the game had a horizontal
> coin slot that was all metal, not the red, rectangular, plastic coin slot that most
> arcade machines have. Maybe the red ones are the new kind to prevent this trick from
> working.

Do it with a slot machine and the machine will disable itself and show "Call Attendant - Coin Yoyo" or similar.

roscian
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/11/07
Loc: City of Angels
Send PM

#393869 - 04/25/22 04:59 PM

When the street cleaning machine truck would pass by they, at times, would drop these thin metal bristles. A guy I knew would collect these and uses them on arcade machines. He would somehow slide one in through the coin slot and receive free credits. It was back in the day so we would play Pac-Man and Centipede for hours at the local pizza pub.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 315 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 549