Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Reynard
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/06
Loc: Australia
Send PM

MAMEUI will not output fullscreen to desired monitor.
#393484 - 03/10/22 04:45 PM

I just started a fresh install of the latest MAMEUI after a system format and for the life of me, I cannot get MAME to output full screen on anything but my TV anymore.

I have a main monitor, and an HDTV as a second screen (which for reasons I don't get, Windows insists on making Monitor 1), and MAME refuses to open on the monitor, I have tried every combination of monitor settings in the UI, no matter what, as long as the TV is plugged in, even in standby, I cannot get a game to start on the other screen, and even if I drag a windowed game over to the monitor, it immediately goes back to the TV if I try to full screen.

I've been using MAMEUI for a decade now, I used to always be able to set the active screen using display 1/2, but now it simply will not work...

Edit: It's also ignoring settings, it's not applying prescale, and 'run in a window' isn't working, it always starts in fullscreen. Also, Vanilla MAME is exhibiting none of these problems.

Can anyone PLEASE help?

Edited by Reynard (03/10/22 08:09 PM)

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI will not output fullscreen to desired monitor. new [Re: Reynard]
#393487 - 03/10/22 08:42 PM

These issues are usually configuration/*.ini conflicts. You could try purging them in the \ini directory and in the root w/ the .exe and start fresh.

If you're familiar w/ the commandline version you could run a quick 'mame.exe dkong -verbose' and observe how your system numerates the displays.
you'll see something like:

Code:

Video: Monitor 65537 = "\\.\DISPLAY1" (primary)
Video: Monitor 65539 = "\\.\DISPLAY2"
Video: Monitor 65541 = "\\.\DISPLAY3"

then use that in conjunction with -screen0 \\.\DISPLAY2 for example in mame.ini. Then MAMEUI will use that.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Reynard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI will not output fullscreen to desired monitor. new [Re: John IV]
#393488 - 03/10/22 08:56 PM

That's the thing, I know my TV is \\.\DISPLAY1 and the monitor is \\.\DISPLAY2 as I've used this emulator on this system for the last 7 or so years without issue, but on a clean install of the new versions of MameUI it simply refuses to recognise display2, I tried setting screen0 in mame.ini but it does nothing at all. I wish I still had my old install, but it went with the format, and as I haven't done much with mame in the last year, I have no idea if or when anything may have changed to break compatibility with my hardware.

MameUI should still have no issues running on Win 7 right?

If I load a game from a command line in verbose mode it will display it on the correct screen, with all my correct settings, and it confirms the monitor. But UI itself simply won't do it anymore.

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Send PM

#393491 - 03/11/22 02:11 AM

Do you actually have a mame.ini with the proper screenX setting in the directory structure of Mameui? Confirm that's the only mame.ini. At one point mameui's created version of mame.ini had a different inipath entry than one created with baseline which could be impacting things.

It should still run on 7 without issue.

Created the mame.ini if you need to via baseline 'mame.exe -cc'.

john iv

Reynard
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393492 - 03/11/22 05:30 AM

Yes, I have a mame.ini in the ini folder, I tried moving it into the root as well.

The display options look like this currently (I have tried changing all screen entries as well), and from a commandline it will output to the correct monitor:

#
# OSD PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS
#
screen \\.\DISPLAY2
aspect auto
resolution auto
view auto
screen0 \\.\DISPLAY2
aspect0 auto
resolution0 auto
view0 auto
screen1 auto
aspect1 auto
resolution1 auto
view1 auto
screen2 auto
aspect2 auto
resolution2 auto
view2 auto
screen3 auto
aspect3 auto
resolution3 auto
view3 auto

As long as my second screen is enabled, it's booting exclusively to it with defaulted settings. Even worse, I just forced Windows to display on one screen only and even on the single screen it's completely ignoring my video settings... I did try a clean install to another directory, I also tried importing my mame.ini from my copy of vanilla mame 241 but no go.

I'm at a complete loss, it was only six months ago that I was running mameui(Somewhere in the V0.22X range) on this exact rig, with these same monitors, playing a few games with a friend.

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Send PM

#393493 - 03/11/22 06:09 AM

Try rounding out the rest of the screenXs with \\.\DISPLAY2 just to see if that makes a difference.

screen1 \\.\DISPLAY2
screen2 \\.\DISPLAY2
screen3 \\.\DISPLAY2

Also I just fired up MAMEUI .241 and played around a bit (I use IV/Play and baseline MAME normally). And I saw that MAMEUI did again create a mame.ini in the \ini directory even when I had one already from baseline in the root directory. So make sure you don't have two accidentally. I guess you could standardize on the one in the \ini directory for MAMEUI.

I suppose another thing you could try is getting that old version of MAMEUI that worked and set it up in a fresh directory and see if it produces better results and then layer the latest dist package over it.

Edited by John IV (03/11/22 06:41 AM)

john iv

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#393494 - 03/11/22 07:05 AM

You can get most(all?) of prior MAME versions at Progretto's...

https://www.progettosnaps.net/MAME/

If you need any of them to try out.

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Reynard
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393495 - 03/11/22 07:57 AM

I just grabbed version 228, and i'm about to tear my hair out. It too now refuses to aknowledge my monitor, and worse still, it's also ignoring my settings.

I know I've used version 228 before, and my TV has been a permanent part of my pc setup this whole time, but back when 228 was new, it never output to that TV unless I forced it to via the screen menu.

And it just got even more confusing, because after I extended my desktop to the TV again I decided on a whim to fire version 241 back up... and while the game is still on the wrong screen, mame is accepting my display settings now!

Is there a chance that MAME or UI is leaving stuff in the registry that could be causing issues here?

In the mean time I guess I have a messy solution by disabling the second screen (as long as mame's display settings don't suddenly stop working again), but the fact that I have to do any of this makes absolutely no sense.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#393496 - 03/11/22 10:05 AM

> Is there a chance that MAME or UI is leaving stuff in the registry that could be
> causing issues here?

No, the registry isn't used.

Reynard
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393497 - 03/11/22 01:24 PM

So I just solved my issue.

Any changes that I make to mame.ini, be it using the UI or editing manually are being applied only the first time a game is run, when it creates the initial ini file for that game. Any changes I make after that are not being applied as it is drawing settings from the individual game ini files instead using the updated mame.ini settings.

I would have noticed this sooner but for some dumb reason, I was just using one game (final fight) in the rom folder to test the latest build. And whenever I tried a different build, the first thing i did was load the damn game before changing screen settings.

This explains the monitor not working, the preexisting ffight.ini was overriding my changes and loading the screen as 'auto'. As soon as I removed this, and manually edited it just to be sure, it all worked properly.

Is this intended behavior? I would have thought per game ini files wouldn't come into play until you manually went out of your way to change settings for a particular game. But I guess MAME design would prefer being fully configured before you start to run stuff.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#393499 - 03/11/22 03:05 PM

> Is this intended behavior? I would have thought per game ini files wouldn't come into
> play until you manually went out of your way to change settings for a particular
> game.

Per-game ini files (if they exist) will always take precedence. If you're using a recent MAMEUI, you can right-click on the game and select "Delete game settings". This will cause the game to use mame.ini settings next time.

Reynard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI will not output fullscreen to desired monitor. new [Re: Robbbert]
#393501 - 03/11/22 06:29 PM

Ah I see, thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to disable per-game configs, so that it always just uses core mame.ini settings?

Edited by Reynard (03/11/22 08:20 PM)

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#393506 - 03/12/22 02:34 PM

> Ah I see, thanks for the info.
>
> Out of curiosity, is it possible to disable per-game configs, so that it always just
> uses core mame.ini settings?

Well... yes and no. In ini\mame.ini, look up the top for writeconfig 1, change it to 0. This stops automatic creation of per-game ini whenever you run a game.

BUT... if you use MAMEUI to change a game's settings, then those have to go somewhere, so it will make a game-specific ini to hold the changes you made.

What I do is leave writeconfig at 1, but then I have arcade.ini and it only has one line:
writeconfig 0

The reason for this is if you run a computer or console, it's handy to have the software and plug-in devices you used last to be there again on the next run. But arcade doesn't need any of that, so there's no reason to save anything.

Reynard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI will not output fullscreen to desired monitor. new [Re: Robbbert]
#393531 - 03/17/22 07:09 PM

Cheers for that.

Writeconfig 0 should work for me, my preference is always 'don't use per-game configs until I manually make one'.

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert 
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1681