Pages: 1

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

MAME 2021 contributions appreciation *edit*
#392865 - 12/29/21 09:24 AM

Lots of improvements and additions throughout 2021.

Thanks to contributors of the various Sun Electronics games, Universal games, and many others including
Data East Air Walkers, and Coinex Barracuda and Ms Pac Twin along with other coinop items.
The recent IGT PEPlus titles is also another good thing with 2021 updates.
Even Raflesiau rom name is back home in MAME once again as an actual legitimate name instead of being
a castoff is another accomplishment.

The Yamaha hardware audio update and ongoing bug fixes to it along with many other bug fixes for
other bugs.

As for computers area, the various Apple updates for the year such the disk drives emulation, early Mac hardware fixes so some more Macs work was a big deal. The ongoing soft lists additions by 4AM, Firehawke and
others is great work. The BBC updates by Pernod must have UK computer users happy over there as well.

As for handheld scene, my thanks to hap and Sean for making more of the Mattel Electronics LED games a
reality in MAME. Granted there are still other alternate hardware versions yet to be worked on, but I am
thankful of what has been already completed. The completed LED work allows us older folks to show off the
games to the younger Game Boy generation users and they can roll their eyes while shaking their heads.

Thanks to a good 2021 year for the updates.

I look forward to what updates might happen in 2022.

A 2022 thanks to ShouTime for preserving the 1980s game.

Edited by gregf (01/03/22 02:49 AM)

Pernod
Lurker
Reged: 01/12/04
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: MAME 2021 contributions appreciation new [Re: gregf]
#392870 - 12/29/21 06:52 PM

> The BBC updates by Pernod must have UK computer users happy
> over there as well.

Don't think I did much on the BBC this year, my main focus has been the Archimedes.

roscian
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/11/07
Loc: City of Angels
Send PM

Re: MAME 2021 contributions appreciation new [Re: Pernod]
#392877 - 12/30/21 05:17 AM

Big Thanks to all!

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#392897 - 01/01/22 05:35 PM

> Don't think I did much on the BBC this year, my main focus has been the Archimedes.

I really don't want to spam about worthless gambling games, but are there any Archimedes games that have the same frame-dropping issues (e.g. drawing every second frame) and/or garbled sound similar to the aristmk5 driver? The MK5 system is basically a 3020 in terms of hardware.

Pernod
Lurker
Reged: 01/12/04
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: MAME 2021 contributions appreciation new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#392898 - 01/01/22 07:25 PM

> > Don't think I did much on the BBC this year, my main focus has been the Archimedes.
>
>
> I really don't want to spam about worthless gambling games, but are there any
> Archimedes games that have the same frame-dropping issues (e.g. drawing every second
> frame) and/or garbled sound similar to the aristmk5 driver? The MK5 system is
> basically a 3020 in terms of hardware.

I haven't yet looked for any graphics issues, but have noticed sound issues that I intend to look into soon. Even the Archimedes startup chime is incorrect, sounds scratchy.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#392903 - 01/02/22 08:05 AM

> I haven't yet looked for any graphics issues, but have noticed sound issues that I
> intend to look into soon. Even the Archimedes startup chime is incorrect, sounds
> scratchy.

If it's of any interest, the MK5 games have at least three different types of sound output depending on the games, even though the hardware is exactly the same and it's literally just a ROM swap when changing games. The earlier games have poor quality sound output even on real hardware, the quality reminds me of DOS outputting PCM audio to a PC speaker in lieu of a sound card, a janky lo-fi sound. Later games sound a lot better.

Notable examples to test if you're interested:

pengpayu - Early sound engine, attempts to play sounds but fails to stream larger data (the only three sounds which play back are the reel stop "click", the double-up-lost sound, and the win 5 credits tune - everything else is just a short burst of garbage data). I chose this set over other US games with the same issue (e.g. chickena5u, wnpost, swhr2u, mgarden, minemineu) as it's already been set up with default NVRAM.

oscara5a - Same sound engine as the above but seemingly doesn't send anything at all to the buffer.

oscara5 - Same game, newer sound engine, sound output is apparently fine aside from being twice as fast (in speed, not pitch - tied to frame rate/vblank/interlace I think; no idea what though).

multidrw - Special case (and video poker rather than a slot/fruit machine), the game has the newer sound style as oscara5 but the card flip sound doesn't work (the output for that sound effect is done the same way as the older games, so whatever previous data was still in the sound buffer is played instead e.g. drawing a new hand/card while the win music is still playing).

one4all - New Zealand games tend to have no sound at all (same issue as oscara5a), despite having the newer sound engine.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 338 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 463