Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

synthsequence
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/18/21
Send PM

Have to change readconfig and writeconfig to 0 every time I download a new version of MAMEUI
#392628 - 11/18/21 05:10 PM

Hello,

I am a long-time user of MAMEUI, and I greatly appreciate its existence and support.

However recently, over the past 2 years or so, I've noticed every time I download a new version of MAMEUI (probably once every 6 months or so), none of my Default Game Options will save.

They'll save in the actual menu itself, but won't apply to any ROMs that I run. For example, turning off bilinear filtering and having it run in a window by default.

A fix for this is to go into INI\mame.ini and change:
readconfig and writeconfig from 1 to 0.

I was just wondering if this is an issue for anyone else, a development oversight or if I'm missing a step during setup. I don't remember this being something I'd have to do until recently.

It is not my intention to insult the brilliant work done on this program and the effort and upkeep of it over 20 years. I have enjoyed many games I wouldn't have the chance to through this program and I'm eternally grateful. It's just something I have a problem with and because I do it so infrequently I always forget how to fix it.

Cheers,
Luke

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Have to change readconfig and writeconfig to 0 every time I download a new version of MAMEUI new [Re: synthsequence]
#392632 - 11/19/21 02:21 AM

Neither mame.ini or mameui.ini are included with the official build packages. So unless you've got some derivative build with either of those in the package, and you unpack & over-write old files(which you should do), your original ini should still be there intact. Even if you did a -cc I think your originals should remain unless you specify to overwrite them(never tried). If there is no ini there, MAME should create a generic ini for the machine specified. If it's not that then maybe someone else will chime in with a correct answer, but that's my best guess.

GL!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

Re: Have to change readconfig and writeconfig to 0 every time I download a new version of MAMEUI new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#392633 - 11/19/21 03:08 AM

It's easy, you only have to copy the original .inis and .cfg files to the new mame folder.

Don't worry cause works like a charm and takes you only 10" to copy all of them

RETRODANUART.COM

Reynard
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/06
Loc: Australia
Send PM

Re: Have to change readconfig and writeconfig to 0 every time I download a new version of MAMEUI new [Re: synthsequence]
#393505 - 03/12/22 11:24 AM

As I just discovered, once MAMEUI creates an ini for a game, that INI file overwrites any changes made to the core mame.ini file. So if you're overwriting old mame with a new version, you've still got all those preconfigured game inis that will ignore your changes.

The fix is to delete the cache of game inis.

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert 
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 507