Frontend Tech + >> Emu Loader
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

CiroConsentinoModerator
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

EL v8.9.3 released
#391971 - 09/29/21 09:00 PM

More fixes and support for MAME 0.236 new Audio Compressor setting.
Go to http://emuloader.mameworld.info for details.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

paultup
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/08/04
Send PM

Re: EL v8.9.3 released new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#392069 - 10/07/21 09:50 PM

Hi Ciro,

I am finding the following issues with 8.9.3:
* The search box at the upper right displays a flashing cursor, and even if I click into that entry box, it won't let me type in a title - instead, the keystrokes jump in the games list to the games starting with that characer. It's almost like focus is not being transferred to the text entry box.

* If I click the "show game documents panel" button from the button list over the images panel, it simply shows an empty white panel. This function used to work, but no longer does.

One other question: I'm not sure what changed to your architecture, but the application takes about 4 minutes (!!!!) to come up. I'm sure it's a function of number of games and software list entries, but it is notably slower. Would a new install resolve this? Are there legacy files I need to remove from the installation that might be slowing the process down?

- Paultup

CiroConsentinoModerator
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: EL v8.9.3 released new [Re: paultup]
#392072 - 10/08/21 02:59 AM

4 minutes ? That's a lot. In my computer it takes 14 seconds on a cold Windows boot. Subsequent frontend restarts, it loads in 6 seconds.
Delphi 7 is weird when the project has too many forms to initialize with tons of controls.

I just tried the search bar edit box. It gets the focus to type text without errors.

Have you tried a clean install in another folder ?

The game docs is working ok. What MAME build are you using ? What folders are setup in ui.ini (mame config file, not Emu Loader).

I tested this on two different computers with Win10 Pro build 2004 installed.
Make sure that "night mode" is enabled.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

paultup
MAME Fan
Send PM

#392076 - 10/08/21 03:31 PM

Ciro, I did a fresh install. That seemed to resolve the boot-up time issue (takes ~12 seconds now, much better!). I also discovered that even though I had the "games panel" tab open, I still had to press F3 to enable the display (could that be set to be automatically on when you switch to that tab, if it's enabled?)

But I'm still seeing the same problem with the search box focus. Night mode is enabled, and if I click on the box, I see the flashing cursor at the left, but as soon as I press a key, it jumps in the game list to the first game with that letter.... Stumped....

Ah-HA! I tried to bind the toolbar icons to the main panel, which moved the search box over to the left of the images panel, and NOW it takes my keystrokes! Just to check, I unbound the buttons, and the box moved back to the right side of the window... but still works!

Not sure if this is something you need to look into or not, but for me it works correctly now. Thanks!

- Paul

CiroConsentinoModerator
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#392078 - 10/08/21 04:52 PM Attachment: el-game-docs-games-popupmenu.png 82 KB (0 downloads)

To display the game docs you must press F3 to enable it. This feature is disabled by default. I find it weird that the game docs panel is showing if the feature is not enabled, it shouldn't do that.
Are you using "Tabbed Images/Game Docs" mode set in Preferences screen ? I never intended to add this feature, someone asked for it a long time ago. It might not work correctly.

I can't set it to automatic because this is an optional feature. I for one do not use game docs. Call games popup menu and look for the "Show Game Documents" menu option. If it's checked, is enabled.
Look at my screenshot, it's not enabled... you'll get a orange square around the docs icon when it's enabled.

By default, the tool bar buttons is not bound to the games list panel, but the search bar should receive key inputs no matter what. There is no code that would prevent key inputs in the edit box.
If toggling the "bound to games list" setting makes it work, I need to do some tests. What Windows are you using ? It works fine here in Win10.

I'm glad you managed to fix the issues you're having with the frontend.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

paultup
MAME Fan
Send PM

#392079 - 10/08/21 05:02 PM

>By default, the tool bar buttons is not bound to the games list panel, but the search bar
>should receive key inputs no matter what. There is no code that would prevent key inputs in
>the edit box.
>
>If toggling the "bound to games list" setting makes it work, I need to do some tests. What
>Windows are you using ? It works fine here in Win10.

I'm running Win10. As I mentioned, it USED to work but after the 8.9 release it seemed to stop....

Of course, I can't recreate it since I did the bind toggle!

- Paul

CiroConsentinoModerator
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#392085 - 10/08/21 09:46 PM

>> Of course, I can't recreate it since I did the bind toggle!

That's so weird in so many levels. I can't replicate this bug here. This might be a shot in the dark but, do you have any special apps running in the background ? Anti-virus would not cause the edit box not receiving input. Not that an app would cause this bug, I seriously doubt it.

Internally, when toggling the tool bar from "window top" to "games panel", the frontend just sets the tool bar's "parent control" property to the games panel instead of the form... nothing more.

I'll keep testing here, maybe I'll get lucky.
Good that the bug went away. "Borland Delphi 7" compiler might be showing its age... it's a jurassic compiler but I can't just upgrade to Delphi XE compiler, the frontend would require almost a complete rewrite. Plus, this compiler is ultra expensive. I already have a license for Delphi 7.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

CiroConsentinoModerator
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#392104 - 10/10/21 01:59 AM

I found a way to replicate the problem. Unclick the "Bound To Games List" checkbox, restart Emu Loader. The search bar edit box is always "focused" and unresponsive...

I'll investigate further.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> Emu Loader
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  CiroConsentino 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 729