MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

HBMAME 0.235
#391695 - 08/24/21 04:48 AM

https://hbmame.1emulation.com
https://arcade.mameworld.info/hbmame

What's new in HBMAME
====================

2021-08-24 0.235

- mslug4xg: fixed freeze in attract mode
- sblast2bs01: fixed crash at start
- sboblboblh: fixed watchdog reset on level select screen

New Games
---------------------------------
- [dangerex] Danger Express
- [umk3uc20210430] Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate Cup Edition (2021-04-30)
- [umk3uk20210709] Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 UC Edition (2021-07-09)
- [umk3uk20210727] Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 UC Edition (2021-07-27)

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/06
Send PM

Re: HBMAME 0.235 new [Re: Robbbert]
#391703 - 08/24/21 11:58 PM

Thank you!!!

cyberdman

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: HBMAME 0.235 - DANGER EXPRESS! WOWWW new [Re: Robbbert]
#391704 - 08/25/21 07:54 PM

> https://hbmame.1emulation.com
> https://arcade.mameworld.info/hbmame
>

>
> New Games
> ---------------------------------
> - [dangerex] Danger Express

FINALLY!!! After so many years, I finally have the chance to play this one. Thank you for allowing it to be emulated, whoever you are!

Pr3tty F1y
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/18/05
Send PM

Re: HBMAME 0.235 - DANGER EXPRESS! WOWWW new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#391711 - 08/27/21 02:11 AM

> > https://hbmame.1emulation.com
> > https://arcade.mameworld.info/hbmame
> >
>
> >
> > New Games
> > ---------------------------------
> > - [dangerex] Danger Express
>
> FINALLY!!! After so many years, I finally have the chance to play this one. Thank you
> for allowing it to be emulated, whoever you are!

I'm out of the loop on this one. Any reason that this prototype is in HBMAME instead of regular MAME? Hacks to get it working?

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: HBMAME 0.235 - DANGER EXPRESS! WOWWW new [Re: Pr3tty F1y]
#391713 - 08/27/21 04:41 AM

> I'm out of the loop on this one. Any reason that this prototype is in HBMAME instead
> of regular MAME? Hacks to get it working?

It's in MAME..

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/a0b...rs/atarig42.cpp

..HBMAME 0.235 just released first, MAME 0.235 hasn't been released yet.

It's coming..

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/7000a5202a4d4ab649622ff29551bae4fce93087

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: HBMAME 0.235 - DANGER EXPRESS! WOWWW new [Re: Trebor]
#391716 - 08/27/21 06:10 AM

It's equal parts a test, and a reaction.

First, it's a test to see if people can be cool like Fonzie.

Second, it's a reaction to the fact that when Danger Express was first added due to a complete miscommunication, the guy who originally dumped Danger Express pretty much:
- Flipped out
- Attributed malice where there was none
- Made a bunch of blustery threats about how he'd never post another prototype (not that, as far as I know, he'd posted any others) unless it was removed
- Never posted any other prototypes regardless, despite the MAME team capitulating and removing it for all of these years.

That's generally not how a two-way relationship works, where you say "I won't ever do X unless you do Y," then never do X anyway, because it makes the other party entirely rethink whether there's any value to having done Y in the first place. As an external contributor nowadays, I'm noticing a mentality shift across at least some of the developers, where they're tired of MAME and its team members being used as tools for collectors and bootleggers to play these little ego games. There's no shortage of collectors who mistakenly treat the preservation of history like some kind of power trip, and after so many decades of putting up with it, I suspect at least a few people are pretty much done capitulating.

Pr3tty F1y
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/18/05
Send PM

Re: HBMAME 0.235 - DANGER EXPRESS! WOWWW new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#391729 - 08/28/21 01:03 AM

> It's equal parts a test, and a reaction.
>
> First, it's a test to see if people can be cool like Fonzie.
>
> Second, it's a reaction to the fact that when Danger Express was first added due to a
> complete miscommunication, the guy who originally dumped Danger Express pretty much:
> - Flipped out
> - Attributed malice where there was none
> - Made a bunch of blustery threats about how he'd never post another prototype (not
> that, as far as I know, he'd posted any others) unless it was removed
> - Never posted any other prototypes regardless, despite the MAME team capitulating
> and removing it for all of these years.
>
> That's generally not how a two-way relationship works, where you say "I won't ever do
> X unless you do Y," then never do X anyway, because it makes the other party entirely
> rethink whether there's any value to having done Y in the first place. As an external
> contributor nowadays, I'm noticing a mentality shift across at least some of the
> developers, where they're tired of MAME and its team members being used as tools for
> collectors and bootleggers to play these little ego games. There's no shortage of
> collectors who mistakenly treat the preservation of history like some kind of power
> trip, and after so many decades of putting up with it, I suspect at least a few
> people are pretty much done capitulating.

Well, I hope who ever owned it and let it get out at least knows that folks are thankful for it being out - regardless of it's release being a mistake or not.

Everyone needs more early 90's digitized Atari crap in their life

jordanrom
Reged: 01/10/05
Send PM

#395181 - 11/21/22 11:29 PM

> It's equal parts a test, and a reaction.
>
> First, it's a test to see if people can be cool like Fonzie.
>
> Second, it's a reaction to the fact that when Danger Express was first added due to a
> complete miscommunication, the guy who originally dumped Danger Express pretty much:
> - Flipped out
> - Attributed malice where there was none
> - Made a bunch of blustery threats about how he'd never post another prototype (not
> that, as far as I know, he'd posted any others) unless it was removed
> - Never posted any other prototypes regardless, despite the MAME team capitulating
> and removing it for all of these years.
>
> That's generally not how a two-way relationship works, where you say "I won't ever do
> X unless you do Y," then never do X anyway, because it makes the other party entirely
> rethink whether there's any value to having done Y in the first place. As an external
> contributor nowadays, I'm noticing a mentality shift across at least some of the
> developers, where they're tired of MAME and its team members being used as tools for
> collectors and bootleggers to play these little ego games. There's no shortage of
> collectors who mistakenly treat the preservation of history like some kind of power
> trip, and after so many decades of putting up with it, I suspect at least a few
> people are pretty much done capitulating.

This was one of my prototypes that I dumped with the explicit agreement with Aaron Giles for it to not be released. I even sent him some unknown IC's to make sure everything was done properly.

I wanted to release this on my time, wanted to make sure it could be emulated and preserved. That was the understanding and agreement.

I still have not given permissions to release it in MAME, nor any other branch. I do not want it out there.

However, Aaron didn't bother to contact me and must have just thought "enough time has passed" and released it.

Then it was taken out, but that wasn't good enough, apparently.

You're right, MAME will never be getting any more of my prototype collection (and there are a lot) because nobody even bothered to ask me if DE can be release.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: HBMAME 0.235 - DANGER EXPRESS! WOWWW new [Re: jordanrom]
#395183 - 11/22/22 04:53 PM

> You're right, MAME will never be getting any more of my prototype collection (and
> there are a lot) because nobody even bothered to ask me if DE can be release.

1) You disappeared for the better part of 3 years and returned only to piss and moan about this. You were never going to release anything to begin with.

2) You returned with a wild hair up your ass and proceeded to excoriate someone - me - who hasn't even been a member of the project for nearly two years now.

Go disappear for another 3 years.

jordanrom
Reged: 01/10/05
Send PM

#395184 - 11/22/22 09:40 PM

> > You're right, MAME will never be getting any more of my prototype collection (and
> > there are a lot) because nobody even bothered to ask me if DE can be release.
>
> 1) You disappeared for the better part of 3 years and returned only to piss and moan
> about this. You were never going to release anything to begin with.
>
> 2) You returned with a wild hair up your ass and proceeded to excoriate someone - me
> - who hasn't even been a member of the project for nearly two years now.
>
> Go disappear for another 3 years.

Wow. I'm the bad guy now? I didn't "disappear" to anywhere. Piss and moan? That's how you see this? Everyone (literally, 2 people) were involved, Me and Aaron Giles. There is no excuse for this to have been leaked.

I explicitly told Aaron not to share the ROMs and I wanted to release these when I was ready. He fully agreed.

Then, He shared them with Phil and never bothering to contact me, nor did Phil. He claims he "lost" my email, but he didn't contact me here either. I mean, how do you lose an email? Also, he is a dev that worked at Microsoft. Not sure how that is even possible.

Then it gets released, and then taken out. Now it's back in. Like, how was this even possible?

I think you ("R"? these handles are confusing) reach out to me in email, and we went over all of this and also had an agreement about how I wanted to release these ROMs and you also were nice about it and agreed. I was unaware you weren't with the project anymore when I contacted you again, wondering what the hell was going on with DE again.

I never ever said it was ok to release DE in any shape or form.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#395188 - 11/23/22 10:19 AM

> Wow. I'm the bad guy now? I didn't "disappear" to anywhere. Piss and moan? That's how
> you see this? Everyone (literally, 2 people) were involved, Me and Aaron Giles. There
> is no excuse for this to have been leaked.

People pop up and offer data with strings attached with a relatively high level of frequency. Sometimes those people stay in contact. Sometimes they don't. It's hard to gauge whether to keep something secret or whether to make it public, because at any given point it could be that the person who was offering some data set as a lure ends up biting the dust.

> I explicitly told Aaron not to share the ROMs and I wanted to release these when I
> was ready. He fully agreed.

He probably did, but that was something that wasn't communicated explicitly to the broader MAME team as a whole. Aaron departed the project about a year ago, you're relying on an agreement that was more or less kept secret from everyone, with all of the liabilities that that entails. I'll get into this later in my post.

> Then, He shared them with Phil and never bothering to contact me, nor did Phil. He
> claims he "lost" my email, but he didn't contact me here either. I mean, how do you
> lose an email? Also, he is a dev that worked at Microsoft. Not sure how that is even
> possible.

How *what* is possible? That Aaron works at Microsoft? That Phil wasn't aware of the private agreements that Aaron arranged with you? You literally came to the MAME team offering some secretive ROM dump, which requires secrecy, while also having uploaded it to an archive that anyone can access. That aspect is certainly on the team as a whole for not making it clear who would have access to it, but in the same breath, you're also excoriating people for not upholding the same level of secrecy that you had privately agreed on while communicating nothing to the wider spectrum of MAME developers.

If there's anyone at fault here, it's Aaron, because he had you upload that dump to the same endpoint as anyone else, while engaging in these behind-the-veil shenanigans. If you have any ire, direct it at him. It's not anyone's fault but his own that the ROM dump was made public at all.

I have, in my own possession, some ROM dumps that were requested to be kept private, related to N64-as-arcade hardware. I've kept that dump secret, and so have the other developers that that dump was shared with. There's no risk of that dump becoming public, because none of us have ever shared it with anyone. The fact that you uploaded the dump of Danger Express to the shared FTP for MAME developers at Aaron's behest isn't a reflection on anyone but Aaron.

> Then it gets released, and then taken out. Now it's back in. Like, how was this even
> possible?

Probably by virtue of the fact that you went silent for literally 3 years. Look, no offense, but most of the people involved in arcade preservation are old as hell. Is everyone supposed to just eternally assume that the person who sourced a given ROM dump is always alive? You were incommunicado for 3 years, dude.

> I think you ("R"? these handles are confusing) reach out to me in email, and we went
> over all of this and also had an agreement about how I wanted to release these ROMs
> and you also were nice about it and agreed. I was unaware you weren't with the
> project anymore when I contacted you again, wondering what the hell was going on with
> DE again.
>
> I never ever said it was ok to release DE in any shape or form.

Yes! I think that this whole situation is stupid. The MAME team has an extensive history of respecting the wishes of people who dumped prototypes, and shared those dumps with certain restrictions, and who maintain some level of communication with the team.

Danger Express was originally added to MAME purely out of a mistake, because one developer wasn't aware of the restrictions were placed on that set, which most likely shouldn't have been uploaded to the common MAME FTP in the first place. The fact that it was isn't on you, but it absolutely is on the person who told you to do so, which seems to be Aaron, the person you're giving so much deference.

He made a stupid decision and it seems like we're all now paying for it. At least have the presence of mind to save your ire for who kicked off this whole shit-show.

When push comes to shove, the majority of the MAME team is always willing to play ball. I willingly departed from the core team in early 2021 but am still keenly aware that most of the people on the team have some level of involvement with software development as a profession. It would be stupid to actively burn bridges with people. Nobody did that, and nobody wants to do that.

What this comes down to is a fault in communication. For all anyone knew until you popped up out of nowhere, you might as well have been dead. Had this whole situation been handled with an appropriate level of guarded-ness, then Danger Express never would have made it into the wild in the first place.

But it did, and the reality is that having a prototype game "in the wild" doesn't impinge on the resale value of a board at all. If anything, the community is *more* willing, not *less* willing, to a pay a premium to have the physical article in hand.

If you really care about arcade preservation, if you really want to burgeon the resale value of your boards, then ensure that as many people as possible can take a stab at the games beforehand, and that means getting them into MAME.

You're not wrong for being angry that things have gone sideways because of Aaron's own fucked handling of things, but given that Aaron isn't even part of the project anymore, you need to refocus your ire.

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

#395189 - 11/23/22 02:16 PM

> I explicitly told Aaron not to share the ROMs and I wanted to release these when I
> was ready.

As a matter of interest, what would have needed to take place for you to have been ready?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#395190 - 11/23/22 03:57 PM

>
> Wow. I'm the bad guy now? I didn't "disappear" to anywhere. Piss and moan? That's how
> you see this? Everyone (literally, 2 people) were involved, Me and Aaron Giles. There
> is no excuse for this to have been leaked.
>

Yes, you are the bad guy.

You're acting like you own the exclusive rights to a game you've ended up with a board of.

I've been doing commercial emulation work for people for a good few years now, and you know one of the absolute worse things? When people like you hold boards for ransom, even at times keeping them away from the true rights holders.

There have been a number of releases people I've worked with would have liked to make, and could even acquire proper licenses for, but situations like this cropped up, where the one person known to have a board wouldn't cooperate, or wanted an extortionate amount of money for what, if we're honest, is providing access back to what was stolen property from back in the day. I could even point out how one such game that leaked against the will of somebody like you, and for which they kicked off because they no longer had exclusive access to it, is now an officially licensed part of many Atari compilations.

There are even a couple of NeoGeo prototypes that companies contacting me have had permission to reissue on compilations, but the only known cart owners have asked house prices for access to the ROM so nothing has happened. The same cart owners who, in public claim they can't possibly share what they have due to copyright concerns.

Even for this game, as it happens, you're not the only one to have the board / or have dumped it. Somebody else dumped it, but their program ROMs had bitrot and the PCB would not boot. Thankfully Aaron had previously uploaded your dump, so it was possible to supply them with the fixed ROMs. They requested anonymity to avoid the kind of shitstorm people such as yourself would kick up, but were likely going to share their dump at some time in the near future anyway.

Almost nothing is a "one-off" People were dumpster diving even back in the day, unwanted PCBs that were sent off for recycling often were not. Nothing you have is THAT special, it's just a case of how long you're going to keep inconveniencing others for. While I will respect the wishes of people who wish to play this silly little game myself, it is nothing but that. (and if I were to get hit by a bus tomorrow, anything I am honouring such wishes over would probably just end up everywhere as it ends up entirely out of my control - unfortunately this probably means quite a few people would now like to see me hit by a bus)

The project has matured in many ways over the years, but sadly for some people outside of that it's still all about them, rather than the greater cause of ensuring we carry forward what we can for the good of all.

hunkpap
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/07/22
Send PM

Re: HBMAME 0.235 - DANGER EXPRESS! WOWWW new [Re: Haze]
#395192 - 11/23/22 06:13 PM

> >
> > Wow. I'm the bad guy now? I didn't "disappear" to anywhere. Piss and moan? That's
> how
> > you see this? Everyone (literally, 2 people) were involved, Me and Aaron Giles.
> There
> > is no excuse for this to have been leaked.
> >
>
> Yes, you are the bad guy.
>
> You're acting like you own the exclusive rights to a game you've ended up with a
> board of.
>
> I've been doing commercial emulation work for people for a good few years now, and
> you know one of the absolute worse things? When people like you hold boards for
> ransom, even at times keeping them away from the true rights holders.
>
> There have been a number of releases people I've worked with would have liked to
> make, and could even acquire proper licenses for, but situations like this cropped
> up, where the one person known to have a board wouldn't cooperate, or wanted an
> extortionate amount of money for what, if we're honest, is providing access back to
> what was stolen property from back in the day. I could even point out how one such
> game that leaked against the will of somebody like you, and for which they kicked off
> because they no longer had exclusive access to it, is now an officially licensed part
> of many Atari compilations.
>
> There are even a couple of NeoGeo prototypes that companies contacting me have had
> permission to reissue on compilations, but the only known cart owners have asked
> house prices for access to the ROM so nothing has happened. The same cart owners who,
> in public claim they can't possibly share what they have due to copyright concerns.
>
> Even for this game, as it happens, you're not the only one to have the board / or
> have dumped it. Somebody else dumped it, but their program ROMs had bitrot and the
> PCB would not boot. Thankfully Aaron had previously uploaded your dump, so it was
> possible to supply them with the fixed ROMs. They requested anonymity to avoid the
> kind of shitstorm people such as yourself would kick up, but were likely going to
> share their dump at some time in the near future anyway.
>
> Almost nothing is a "one-off" People were dumpster diving even back in the day,
> unwanted PCBs that were sent off for recycling often were not. Nothing you have is
> THAT special, it's just a case of how long you're going to keep inconveniencing
> others for. While I will respect the wishes of people who wish to play this silly
> little game myself, it is nothing but that. (and if I were to get hit by a bus
> tomorrow, anything I am honouring such wishes over would probably just end up
> everywhere as it ends up entirely out of my control - unfortunately this probably
> means quite a few people would now like to see me hit by a bus)
>
> The project has matured in many ways over the years, but sadly for some people
> outside of that it's still all about them, rather than the greater cause of ensuring
> we carry forward what we can for the good of all.

Hear, hear!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 390 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1125