MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

How to remove or disassociate a connected account in Win10?
#391027 - 06/07/21 10:08 AM Attachment: false.png 212 KB (0 downloads)

This is a computer at work, and has an ex employee email address associated or "connected" with the Administrator account. My question is how to remove it? Or is that even possible.

Yeah. I tried searching for how to do this, but everything I've read or watched has said to select the "Local Account", but that's not even an option. I can only guess that this person (either through ineptitude or maliciousness) tried to send an email, then windows opened it's own email app, this person signed into THEIR email account, and now their ID or whatever is (falsely) associated with this computer.

There is the option to 'Manage Account', and that requires a logging into this person's microsoft account, but that requires their password, and I highly doubt this person will willingly give me their password.

So... Any ideas of how to remedy this?

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

LEVEL-4

Pernod
Lurker
Reged: 01/12/04
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: How to remove or disassociate a connected account in Win10? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#391028 - 06/07/21 12:01 PM

>
> So... Any ideas of how to remedy this?

You can't, not without being able to sign into the account you want to remove anyway.

My Windows 10 is linked to what was my main email account with Hotmail. Microsoft apparently detected malicious activity on the account and promptly disabled it without warning. No amount of emails and phone calls could persuade them to re-activate the account, they couldn't even tell me the exact reason it was revoked.

It was an email account I'd had for almost 20 years, so lost many emails (including recent e-tickets for flights) and contacts associated with the account, and had to re-assign many household utilities/forum logins/subscriptions/etc. to a new account. It was a huge inconvenience that no-one could explain the reason for.

Anyway, my Windows 10 is still linked to this defunct account and frequently reminds me I need 'to fix my Microsoft account' by prompting me to sign into it which is obviously impossible.

As far as I'm concerned the only way to resolve this is a fresh installation, and I will never trust Microsoft with an email account ever again.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: How to remove or disassociate a connected account in Win10? new [Re: Pernod]
#391030 - 06/07/21 05:17 PM

> >
> > So... Any ideas of how to remedy this?
>
> You can't, not without being able to sign into the account you want to remove anyway.
>
> My Windows 10 is linked to what was my main email account with Hotmail. Microsoft
> apparently detected malicious activity on the account and promptly disabled it
> without warning. No amount of emails and phone calls could persuade them to
> re-activate the account, they couldn't even tell me the exact reason it was revoked.
>
> It was an email account I'd had for almost 20 years, so lost many emails (including
> recent e-tickets for flights) and contacts associated with the account, and had to
> re-assign many household utilities/forum logins/subscriptions/etc. to a new account.
> It was a huge inconvenience that no-one could explain the reason for.
>
> Anyway, my Windows 10 is still linked to this defunct account and frequently reminds
> me I need 'to fix my Microsoft account' by prompting me to sign into it which is
> obviously impossible.
>
> As far as I'm concerned the only way to resolve this is a fresh installation, and I
> will never trust Microsoft with an email account ever again.

yeah, Windows accounts linked to Microsoft accounts is one of the worst things to happen to Windows, yet it keeps getting pushed harder and harder. Last time I reinstalled I had to disable the network adapter in the BIOS just to get past the prompt, and even then I got nags after a later update.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: How to remove or disassociate a connected account in Win10? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#391038 - 06/08/21 07:54 PM

> This is a computer at work, and has an ex employee email address associated or
> "connected" with the Administrator account. My question is how to remove it? Or is
> that even possible.
>
> Yeah. I tried searching for how to do this, but everything I've read or watched has
> said to select the "Local Account", but that's not even an option. I can only guess
> that this person (either through ineptitude or maliciousness) tried to send an email,
> then windows opened it's own email app, this person signed into THEIR email account,
> and now their ID or whatever is (falsely) associated with this computer.
>
> There is the option to 'Manage Account', and that requires a logging into this
> person's microsoft account, but that requires their password, and I highly doubt this
> person will willingly give me their password.
>

There is an untold secret at least with previous updates of Windows 10, the option for "Local Account" appears only when the computer is disconnected from LAN and hence the Internet. If you have administrator rights with a local Account you can do that. However if the only Administrator needs a mail password account, it's needed to login then disconnect from the Internet and 'Manage Account' from there.

If you want to create local accounts through the Windows instalation process DO NOT SELECT ANY WIFI TO CONNECT WHEN PROMPTED.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#391042 - 06/09/21 12:19 AM

> This is a computer at work, and has an ex employee email address associated or
> "connected" with the Administrator account. My question is how to remove it? Or is
> that even possible.
>
> Yeah. I tried searching for how to do this, but everything I've read or watched has
> said to select the "Local Account", but that's not even an option. I can only guess
> that this person (either through ineptitude or maliciousness) tried to send an email,
> then windows opened it's own email app, this person signed into THEIR email account,
> and now their ID or whatever is (falsely) associated with this computer.
>
> There is the option to 'Manage Account', and that requires a logging into this
> person's microsoft account, but that requires their password, and I highly doubt this
> person will willingly give me their password.
>

Permanent part of my backpack.

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

This works, as long as you are able to boot from an external device (USB, CD, another HD, etc.). If yes, then you are good to go.

Depending on which version you use:

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/howtos/

https://www.4winkey.com/windows-tips/how-to-reset-password-with-hirens-boot-cd.html

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: How to remove or disassociate a connected account in Win10? new [Re: Haze]
#391058 - 06/14/21 02:44 PM

If using Pro, pick "domain join instead" and it'll let you make a normal account.

Also, leave create a "super memorable password" field blank to skip security question BS and then create a password once on desktop.

> > >
> > > So... Any ideas of how to remedy this?
> >
> > You can't, not without being able to sign into the account you want to remove
> anyway.
> >
> > My Windows 10 is linked to what was my main email account with Hotmail. Microsoft
> > apparently detected malicious activity on the account and promptly disabled it
> > without warning. No amount of emails and phone calls could persuade them to
> > re-activate the account, they couldn't even tell me the exact reason it was
> revoked.
> >
> > It was an email account I'd had for almost 20 years, so lost many emails (including
> > recent e-tickets for flights) and contacts associated with the account, and had to
> > re-assign many household utilities/forum logins/subscriptions/etc. to a new
> account.
> > It was a huge inconvenience that no-one could explain the reason for.
> >
> > Anyway, my Windows 10 is still linked to this defunct account and frequently
> reminds
> > me I need 'to fix my Microsoft account' by prompting me to sign into it which is
> > obviously impossible.
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned the only way to resolve this is a fresh installation, and I
> > will never trust Microsoft with an email account ever again.
>
> yeah, Windows accounts linked to Microsoft accounts is one of the worst things to
> happen to Windows, yet it keeps getting pushed harder and harder. Last time I
> reinstalled I had to disable the network adapter in the BIOS just to get past the
> prompt, and even then I got nags after a later update.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 613