MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

FCAL
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/24/07
Loc: Somewhare, USA
Send PM

Best Video Card for 27" Billabs CRT
#390984 - 05/29/21 09:25 PM

Hello Forum, it has been A LONG time since I have been on here. I would like your suggestions.

I am revitalizing my MAME cabinet (primarily PC) and I would like to know what video card and drivers are suggested / preferred with a Billabs 27" CRT monitor (BL27CB0P-U) for use with MAME .232.

I am building a Win 10 PC from scratch for this cabinet and I have the luxury of selecting the best video card for my application. I will use horizontal and vertical modes with low res (classic arcade era) and some newer games with higher resolutions (90's / early 2000). This monitor has a VGA connector. In trying to do some research, most of the information I find is 5-10 years old and my be irrelevant.

I also see that new(er) versions of MAME support BGFX, HLSL, GLSL rendering capabilities. I am still reading, but may want to enable / disable some of these since I have a CRT monitor.

ANY Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ... Thank you.

FCAL
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Best Video Card for 27" Billabs CRT new [Re: FCAL]
#391041 - 06/08/21 11:01 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions or input?

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

Re: Best Video Card for 27" Billabs CRT new [Re: FCAL]
#391161 - 06/29/21 01:09 AM

> Does anyone have any suggestions or input?

Well, since no-one responded yet, I decided to take a stab at it. Please note that none of this is in any way authoritative, just my personal search-engine results, for whatever that's worth (which, admittedly, may not be much).

It looks like, when you want to connect a VGA monitor to a current-day video card, you will need some kind of converter/adapter. For example, from a HDMI graphics card to a VGA monitor.

Also, as I understand it, MAME does not make 'full use' of the graphics adapter; most of the effort/computing seems to be done using software on the CPU. Which would imply that it currently is more important to get a CPU with decent single-core performance, instead of a high-end graphics card.

Lastly, the BGFX, HLSL, GLSL, etc. options appear to me to be aimed at getting effects that appear to look like a real crt using modern-day lcd monitors. Which seems to imply that you would not need to use them / disable them when you have a real crt monitor.

Again, I may very well be wrong here, and if I am please feel free to correct me.

FCAL
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Best Video Card for 27" Billabs CRT new [Re: mhoes]
#391164 - 06/30/21 05:54 PM

Mhoes,

Thanks for noticing and responding. I have a Radeon card with a VGA port and have been building the PC on my desktop with all components to hook up my Ultimark cards and devices. I have cleaned and gutted my cabinet, but have yet to connect the video. I have been focusing on air flow, cooling and filtration as I want this system to last for MANY years without mods (offline / stand-alone). For BGFX, HLSL, etc. I have come to that conclusion as well. Since they make LCD's look like a CRT, it should display nicely with them off... time will tell (soon).

Once I have connected and made all my settings, I intend to reply to this post in the event it can help anyone else revitalizing or building a cabinet with a CRT. I was lucky enough to buy a brand new Billabs CRT a few years ago, which is flat and does 1024x768. This has been perfect for all games I emulated in the past. Cooling and airflow saves components! Finding the balance of cooling and power/noise is the art.

Thanks again! ...more to come.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 507