MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SA Dev
Lurker
Reged: 01/13/04
Send PM

Does MAME support raw floppy disk images?
#390836 - 05/09/21 07:48 PM

I'm trying to get 231 to boot CP/M for a Kaypro 4/83, but no luck. It attempts to boot with a TD0 or IMD image, but never does get to a prompt. So that is the first issue. If I could get it to boot, then can it also support using just a raw disk image like .dsk, .img, etc.?

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Does MAME support raw floppy disk images? new [Re: SA Dev]
#390840 - 05/10/21 05:26 AM

> I'm trying to get 231 to boot CP/M for a Kaypro 4/83, but no luck. It attempts to
> boot with a TD0 or IMD image, but never does get to a prompt. So that is the first
> issue. If I could get it to boot, then can it also support using just a raw disk
> image like .dsk, .img, etc.?

It's always a good idea to look into the software list, to see what's already known to work. So, the 4/83 is known to MAME as 'kayproiv'. The software list has one entry, a CP/M boot disk.

software name="kiv22"
CP/M 2.2 for Kaypro IV
sharedfeat name="compatibility" value="D"
part name="flop1" interface="floppy_5_25"
dataarea name="flop" size="0x056639"
rom name="kiv-22.imd" size="0x056639" crc="99182539" sha1="d4b5a6a0a0038fc12aa39a7dd17006f1c71198df"

So, find that disk and you'll be good.

SA Dev
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Does MAME support raw floppy disk images? new [Re: Robbbert]
#390842 - 05/10/21 01:59 PM

> It's always a good idea to look into the software list, to see what's already known
> to work. So, the 4/83 is known to MAME as 'kayproiv'. The software list has one
> entry, a CP/M boot disk.
> So, find that disk and you'll be good.

This is good advice - I did this and it does work. What I was trying to do is find good/working software for a real Kaypro 4/83 and hoping MAME could help me do that. One issue is trying to get images in the right format and without errors. In this case, MAME rejects the TD0 file I downloaded, but I finally found a tool called samdisk that when converting it to an IMD, it will work under MAME.

I am really surprised though not to see a raw file format, that would have been helpful yesterday.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Does MAME support raw floppy disk images? new [Re: SA Dev]
#390843 - 05/11/21 02:07 AM

> I am really surprised though not to see a raw file format, that would have been
> helpful yesterday.

Not sure what you mean by raw. If you mean a sector dump with no headers or gap bytes, yes we do support that. The extension used is "kay", although dsk can work too.

SA Dev
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Does MAME support raw floppy disk images? new [Re: Robbbert]
#390844 - 05/11/21 02:23 AM

> Not sure what you mean by raw. If you mean a sector dump with no headers or gap
> bytes, yes we do support that. The extension used is "kay", although dsk can work
> too.

I've tried both dsk and kay, and they won't boot. Maybe the raw image needs to be in the interleaved disk order and not flat?

Thanks!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 324 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 577