MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork X: Other Artwork Projects
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SteelTigers
STRAT Fan
Reged: 12/23/17
Send PM

Sonic The Hedgehog Tiger Handheld Artwork
#390656 - 04/13/21 08:48 AM Attachment: tsonic.zip 4555 KB (14 downloads)

Here is one for the Handheld Game category. I have no idea what possessed me to invest time into this one, but it was kind of fun. Consider it an interim release till something better comes out or I decide to actually spend more than a couple hours restoring the backdrop.

Includes device artwork, backdrop artwork and layout file. Drag & Drop into artwork folder and your off to see the wizard...

SteelTigers
STRAT Fan
Send PM

Re: Sonic The Hedgehog Tiger Handheld Artwork new [Re: SteelTigers]
#390657 - 04/13/21 08:49 AM Attachment: tiger-sth.jpg 435 KB (1 downloads)

Screener

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Sonic The Hedgehog Tiger Handheld Artwork new [Re: SteelTigers]
#390664 - 04/14/21 05:46 PM

> Screener

I owned that, and that is lovely and will definitely suit me for now. Well done!

- Stiletto

SteelTigers
STRAT Fan
Send PM

Re: Sonic The Hedgehog Tiger Handheld Artwork new [Re: Stiletto]
#390666 - 04/15/21 01:33 AM Attachment: tsonic.zip 4555 KB (8 downloads)

Here is a version with the actual backdrop artwork. I pulled it from an in game video, found a couple frames in a 20 minute game play video that was just backdrop and cut it out and adjusted to the backdrop file. As far as accuracy goes, it probably can't get to much better than this.

SteelTigers
STRAT Fan
Send PM

Mr.Do: Sonic The Hedgehog Tiger Handheld Artwork new [Re: SteelTigers]
#390667 - 04/15/21 01:36 AM Attachment: tsonic.png 2843 KB (0 downloads)

Mr.Do,

Here is the backdrop for TSonic if you want to turn it into official art with no obligations or endorsements needed. Make it yours...

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

Re: Mr.Do: Sonic The Hedgehog Tiger Handheld Artwork new [Re: SteelTigers]
#390673 - 04/15/21 12:16 PM

D'oh, you extracted the backdrop image from a MAME video. Not a gameplay video of the actual handheld. This one, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74tPECjQl1Y

https://tsk-tsk.net/net/extart/tsonic.zip
backdrop scan by Sean Riddle.

SteelTigers
STRAT Fan
Send PM

Re: Mr.Do: Sonic The Hedgehog Tiger Handheld Artwork new [Re: hap]
#390676 - 04/15/21 02:42 PM Attachment: tiger-sonic-backdrop-art.jpg 120 KB (1 downloads)

Yes it was from that very video, I screened a single frame on pause. I had actually hand drawn a version for the lack of resources and to avoid plagiarism. I tried to draw the backdrop from my actual device in as little time as possible, I shot the picture and traced over top of it but came it came out kind of bunk as you can see by the attachment...

So I started searching for someone who might have scanned it and just give shout out to the owner in the layout. Never found anything, so I found some video from a Chinese like youtube site and the only thing I found needed to be edited, so I started drawing over top of that, abandoned that idea and stumbled onto your video.

Do you have access to other handheld scans? I plan on rendering the Tiger device when I can find time to wire it up and texture it and would like to use your scan in that zip you have. Is that cool with you?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

#390677 - 04/15/21 05:26 PM

The Tiger games for MAME have minimal artwork with just the backdrops here: https://tsk-tsk.net/net/extart/ (the files starting with "t")

I don't have all of Sean's original scans, some of these files were modified (for example, rotated by 1 degrees when the scan was a bit off)
You can use them any way you want, the actual copyrights to the images belong to Hasbro.

SteelTigers
STRAT Fan
Send PM

Re: Mr.Do: Sonic The Hedgehog Tiger Handheld Artwork new [Re: hap]
#390679 - 04/15/21 07:01 PM Attachment: chassis-draft.png 83 KB (0 downloads)

Wow, fantastic! Since there are some 50+ Backdrops, I am going to fast track the Tiger Chassis in which I now have a draft version in the works. The only problem I see, is the supporting Vinyl artwork used for the game title theme - The artwork that surrounds the LCD screen. That will be challenging...

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#390680 - 04/15/21 07:19 PM

> Wow, fantastic! Since there are some 50+ Backdrops, I am going to fast track the
> Tiger Chassis in which I now have a draft version in the works. The only problem I
> see, is the supporting Vinyl artwork used for the game title theme - The artwork that
> surrounds the LCD screen. That will be challenging...

So you are going to redo the artwork that hydef already did two years ago?

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=389406

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

SteelTigers
STRAT Fan
Send PM

Re: Mr.Do: Sonic The Hedgehog Tiger Handheld Artwork new [Re: Mr. Do]
#390681 - 04/15/21 08:16 PM

No absolutely not. I am not trying redo or replace any artwork. I will make my own versions for personal use and if someone wants to download the very few things I might upload, fine, if not that's fine too.

I don't have a public repository, I don't have a google drive loaded with artwork, don't use mega and I don't seek to be e-famous with any thing I do nor do I care if I am on a lay file or recognized at all.

I make my own stuff for me and if it has been done before, wouldn't matter to me as I want to make it for myself and might share some files.

Plain and simple...

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#390691 - 04/17/21 12:56 AM

> No absolutely not. I am not trying redo or replace any artwork. I will make my own
> versions for personal use and if someone wants to download the very few things I
> might upload, fine, if not that's fine too.
>
> I don't have a public repository, I don't have a google drive loaded with artwork,
> don't use mega and I don't seek to be e-famous with any thing I do nor do I care if I
> am on a lay file or recognized at all.
>
> I make my own stuff for me and if it has been done before, wouldn't matter to me as I
> want to make it for myself and might share some files.
>
> Plain and simple...

Sorry... I might have come off a tad harsh in the earlier comment...

I was thinking maybe you weren't aware of the existing artwork, and didn't want you to spend a ton of time on it, only to find out it already existed.

But it sounds like that's not the issue at all. Looking forward to what you have in store.

(And if you end up animating the controls on the Tiger Handhelds, that would be a welcome addition).

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork X: Other Artwork Projects
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1078