MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

snes.cpp
#390233 - 03/12/21 09:24 PM

What does the "Hi-Res pixels blurring (TV effect)" option in snes.cpp intended to do when enabled? Asking for a friend.

Code:

static INPUT_PORTS_START( snes )
// input devices go through slot options
PORT_START("OPTIONS")
PORT_CONFNAME( 0x01, 0x00, "Hi-Res pixels blurring (TV effect)")
PORT_CONFSETTING( 0x00, DEF_STR( Off ) )
PORT_CONFSETTING( 0x01, DEF_STR( On ) )

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: snes.cpp new [Re: Andrew]
#390235 - 03/12/21 09:40 PM

> What does the "Hi-Res pixels blurring (TV effect)" option in snes.cpp intended to do
> when enabled? Asking for a friend.
>
>
> static INPUT_PORTS_START( snes )
> // input devices go through slot options
> PORT_START("OPTIONS")
> PORT_CONFNAME( 0x01, 0x00, "Hi-Res pixels blurring (TV effect)")
> PORT_CONFSETTING( 0x00, DEF_STR( Off ) )
> PORT_CONFSETTING( 0x01, DEF_STR( On ) )
> ...

Move along - nothing to see here.
Seriously, though, I suspect it is a relic of another time and code (or its intent) no longer functions. This was before MAME had any type of ability to have HLSL/GLSL/etc effects and would appear to be driver specific and currently non-functional. Might be time to rip it out.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: snes.cpp new [Re: Tafoid]
#390241 - 03/13/21 12:59 AM

>> What does the "Hi-Res pixels blurring (TV effect)" option in snes.cpp intended to do
>> when enabled? Asking for a friend.
>
>
>> static INPUT_PORTS_START( snes )
>> // input devices go through slot options
>> PORT_START("OPTIONS")
>> PORT_CONFNAME( 0x01, 0x00, "Hi-Res pixels blurring (TV effect)")
>> PORT_CONFSETTING( 0x00, DEF_STR( Off ) )
>> PORT_CONFSETTING( 0x01, DEF_STR( On ) )
>> ...

>Move along - nothing to see here.

Someone decided to peek behind MAMEdev crew's construction curtain work zone area and is gonna get goosed https://youtu.be/dlDyoNv3v-g?t=999 for doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlDyoNv3v-g

Are You Being Served? Season 3 Episode 7 - Shoulder To Shoulder

--
https://youtu.be/dlDyoNv3v-g?t=791

"That woman. She's taking down my wide fronts. Mrs. Slocumb. I demand you take down your underwear immediately."
-

>Seriously, though, I suspect it is a relic of another time and code (or its intent) no
>longer functions. This was before MAME had any type of ability to have HLSL/GLSL/etc
>effects and would appear to be driver specific and currently non-functional. Might be
>time to rip it out.

I am guessing leftover stuff from the bygone era when MESS was MESS and MAME was MAME.

Pr3tty F1y
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/18/05
Send PM

Re: snes.cpp new [Re: Tafoid]
#390242 - 03/13/21 12:59 AM

I can't speak to whether or not this is implemented in MAME, but when a console of that generation hit a high enough horizontal resolution (i.e., the Genesis'/Mega Drive's stock 320x224 resolution was enough for this to work too and many Sega games depend on this to render correctly to overcome palette limitations), alternating vertical lines of color would be blended by a CRT to make additional colors that actually didn't exist in the source signal.

In SNES games, this was used for HUD translucency in Jurassic Park and foreground translucency in Kirby's Dreamland 3. Those items are not actually translucent when pumped out of a SNES. It takes the inaccuracy of a CRT to create the intended effect:

Jurassic Park:

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: snes.cpp new [Re: Pr3tty F1y]
#390244 - 03/13/21 01:38 AM

That was why Tafoid specifically said, "This was before MAME had any type of ability to have HLSL/GLSL/etc effects".

As long as the settings for the shader are dialed in correctly, you can get exactly that sort of blending in both the Genesis/Megadrive and SNES drivers.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

Re: megadriv.cpp new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#390285 - 03/13/21 03:20 AM

In the case of the Genesis/Megadrive, the NTSC composite look gets close but it's not there yet: https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=7876

For the record, PAL composite (not yet available in MAME's HLSL) looks like this:

(and RF would look like this but with a bit of interference)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 576