MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DJX
Reged: 12/04/17
Send PM

Recent console dumps
#390131 - 03/04/21 08:43 PM

Not sure if anyone on the MAME dev team has seen but there are a few more Sega Genesis ROMs that were dumped. Mainly, the highly sought after Sonic 1 prototype. It would be nice to see these integrated into MAME. I know this isn't a request forum but the last time I mentioned this, the ROMs got added to MAME a few weeks later. Thanks!

Edited by Tafoid (03/04/21 09:29 PM)

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Recent console dumps new [Re: DJX]
#390132 - 03/04/21 09:28 PM

> Not sure if anyone on the MAME dev team has seen but there are a few more Sega
> Genesis ROMs that were dumped recently.
> Mainly, the highly sought after Sonic 1 prototype. It would be nice to see these
> integrated into MAME. I know this isn't a request forum but the last time I mentioned
> this, the ROMs got added to MAME a few weeks later. Thanks!

Anything recently dumped or announced can easily be loaded into MAME and don't need a specific softlist entry to do so though File Manager menu. Like you mentioned, despite your good intentions, stuff eventually gets added but don't be disillusioned into thinking that adding entries is solely from your prompting. Actual additions require work, verification and testing before such is added to source.

Osso1
Reged: 10/17/04
Send PM

Re: Recent console dumps new [Re: DJX]
#390137 - 03/05/21 08:58 AM

Adding items to software lists is a good start if you'd like to contribute to MAME. It doesn't even require compiling:
* download the source
* open the relevant xml file found in the hash directory (in this case megadriv.xml) in a text editor
* spend a few minutes looking at it to understand if entries are listed in a particular way (i.e. alphabetical order, year order, particular groupings like official titles, bootlegs, prototypes, etc. This may vary from softlist to softlist)
* add the entry, respecting the layout of the file, and save
* launch MAME to test it
* if it works and MAME doesn't report any errors, you're ready to commit the change
* before committing it's always a good idea to run mame -validate and, possibly, srcclean the file (srcclean is a tool which is distributed with every MAME release, usage i.e. srcclean hash\megadriv.xml)

Ze_ro
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/04/20
Send PM

Re: Recent console dumps new [Re: Osso1]
#390169 - 03/07/21 06:45 AM

And if there's no software list at all, where do you start? Does that mean it's not plumbed into the driver at all, or can you just start from scratch by using another system as a template?

I was a bit disappointed when I noticed there's no software list at all for the 3DO. Not sure how mature the driver is in the first place, but seems like a pretty glaring omission.

Osso1
Send PM

Re: Recent console dumps new [Re: Ze_ro]
#390170 - 03/07/21 08:43 AM

If there's no software list and you want to create one, it's better to also create the hookup to the driver so that MAME will validate it correctly. This will involve compiling MAME, but it isn't complex. Here's an example of adding a software list to a driver: https://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=35ba231eb356b7bd07c99038011c41ff55052e94 .

If you start a software list from scratch you are at some liberty on how to organize it, but remember to follow softwarelist.dtd in the hash directory and maybe you can look for inspiration in software list for other systems.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#390171 - 03/07/21 09:37 AM

> I was a bit disappointed when I noticed there's no software list at all for the 3DO.
> Not sure how mature the driver is in the first place, but seems like a pretty glaring
> omission.

For CD based systems that really do nothing, there's no point in making a huge list of CHDs, as there's a high probability the format will change entirely before the system ever does anything, plus it's much more difficult to verify.

Cases like that tend to get small lists of a few titles for testing, until things at least boot.

With CHD being widely adopted outside of MAME for CD based emulation these days, maybe that position will change, as it seems to be one of the most popular things MAME has done (which is ironic, because it's one that still needs the most work, as it still can't properly represent all CD formats) but I don't know.

Ze_ro
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/04/20
Send PM

Re: Recent console dumps new [Re: Osso1]
#390179 - 03/08/21 07:55 AM

Wow, it's literally only one line of code to hook up a new software list to a driver? That's far easier than I would have guessed. I suppose the meat of it is in the .xml file anyways.

Osso1
Send PM

#390180 - 03/08/21 08:40 AM

You may also need to include softlist.h at the top of the driver file, if it isn't already there. But yes, nothing insurmountable.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 295 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 566