MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

paultup
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/08/04
Send PM

MAME .229 screen shot issue
#390023 - 02/24/21 07:42 PM

Am I the only one seeing this on the new MAME .229 - when I press the F12 key to take a screen shot, it freezes up the game being played and essentially locks mame.exe up?

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: MAME .229 screen shot issue new [Re: paultup]
#390024 - 02/24/21 08:26 PM

> Am I the only one seeing this on the new MAME .229 - when I press the F12 key to take
> a screen shot, it freezes up the game being played and essentially locks mame.exe up?

I've tried 5 different machines and all of them performed an F12 snapshot without any issues with mappy, mrdo, defender, punchout, scross (a variety of single/dual screen games).
Can you try installing in a fresh folder and trying again? What are your machine stats/OS and media type being used for MAME? Perhaps you have a unique setting or default which isn't expected.

paultup
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME .229 screen shot issue new [Re: Tafoid]
#390025 - 02/24/21 08:38 PM

I tried a clean install and it did work correctly, so I'm cleaning out the prior install and moving the support files over to the new install... thanks for the tip!

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#390027 - 02/24/21 08:55 PM

You could always try to delete all files from the "mame\cfg\" folder because trying a clean install.
That's what I do when updating MAME to a newer version.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

paultup
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME .229 screen shot issue new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#390071 - 02/26/21 08:59 PM

Ciro, I did do a clean install in a temp directory, and when I tried a snapshot, it worked fine.

BUT! When I moved over my previous files into the "snap" folder and then tried to do a snapshot, it similarly locked up.

I've seen issues in the past where it takes a second or two to write the snap file out, so I suspect the hard drive might need to be defragmented? I am trying that now and will report back to see if that resolved it.

So my new workaround is to put the ROM into my "temporary" MAME installation, capture the snapshot, and then move the snapshot over into the "regular" MAME installation directory.

While I'm on the topic of snapshots, does anyone know if there's a way to override the default snapshot behavior of creating a new subdirectory in "snap" named for the ROM and then creating a "0000.png" file, with the number increasing for each snapshot, and return it to how MAME used to do it - a snapshot would simply result in a .png file with the name of the ROM put into the snap directory...?

Thanks,
- Paul

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#390073 - 02/26/21 10:24 PM

> While I'm on the topic of snapshots, does anyone know if there's a way to override
> the default snapshot behavior of creating a new subdirectory in "snap" named for the
> ROM and then creating a "0000.png" file, with the number increasing for each
> snapshot, and return it to how MAME used to do it - a snapshot would simply result in
> a .png file with the name of the ROM put into the snap directory...?

Investigate the 'snapname' option in the INI.

paultup
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME .229 screen shot issue new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#390081 - 02/27/21 02:54 PM

Thanks for the tip! However, if I change "snapname" in mame.ini to have a value of simply "%g", and run mame.exe, then select a ROM to run and then press F12, it still puts the snapshot into a directory.

BUT if run mame passing along the parameter in the string:

mame -snapmame %g

and then press F12, I get my .png file in the "snap" directory when I press F12.

So why is MAME not seeing the change in the mame.ini config file?

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#390085 - 02/27/21 10:22 PM

What game are you running ?
Make sure you don't have a game custom .ini file, raster.ini, arcade.ini or something like that in the\ ini\ folder. Maybe that's why the change in mame.ini doesn't work.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

paultup
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME .229 screen shot issue new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#390097 - 02/28/21 10:32 PM

Ciro,

As an example, I'm trying Gyruss (but it does this with every game I've tried).

I did manage to resolve my snapname issue and that is working correctly - on the "new" install. But once I load up my snap directory with my previous images, the problem returns.

Could it have something to do with the fact that now there are video options for both the default and "snapshot" sections in the pop-up menu?

-Paul

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 431