Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

MAME 0.228
#389705 - 01/26/21 05:57 PM

MAME 0.228

Has it already been an entire month? It must have been, because MAME 0.228 is ready today! We’ve added support for two very rare arcade games this month. The first is Namennayo, an overhead-view obstacle course game making unauthorised use of Satoru Tsuda’s Nameneko characters. The second is Get A Way, an overhead-view racing game made by Universal, touted as the “first game in the world to feature a 16-bit microcomputer.” Universal went on to create the much loved Mr. Do! character. Emulation is preliminary – while the game is playable, there are some graphical issues, and sound is absent.

In other arcade emulation news, Windy Fairy has made a triumphant return, bringing numerous fixes for issues affecting Bemani rhythm games running on System 573 hardware. Thanks to the persistent efforts of David “Haze” Haywood, various fruit machines from JPM are starting to become playable in MAME. Interestingly, these machines rely on similar Brooktree RAMDACs to NCD X11 terminals, and Motorola DUARTs used by numerous other systems emulated in MAME. A complete dump of the type 01 program for Zaccaria’s Cat and Mouse has finally been obtained, making both known versions of this obscure game playable at last.

For hand-held consoles, the WonderSwan and WonderSwan Color have had an overhaul, and Game Gear X-Terminator cartridges are now supported. Several Bandai RX-78 cartridges have been dumped, exercising more aspects of the emulation and allowing several shortcomings to be fixed. We’ve also made some progress on emulating Apple’s floppy drive controllers, providing a path to support for SuperDrive high-density floppy drives, and eventually the HD20 external hard disk.

There’s been plenty more happening, including a new LCD shader from cgwg, all the latest FM Towns software dumps, fixes for recent regressions, and more code modernisation. You can read all about it in the whatsnew.txt file, and get the source and 64-bit Windows binary packages from the download page.

Read the rest of this entry »

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: MAME 0.228 new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#389721 - 01/27/21 10:45 AM

"You've All Done Very Well." - young Mr. Grace (Grace Brothers Dept. store)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6ddSA9lrkc

>We’ve added support for two very rare arcade games this month. The first is Namennayo, an
>overhead-view obstacle course game making unauthorised use of Satoru Tsuda’s Nameneko
>characters. The second is Get A Way, an overhead-view racing game made by Universal,
>touted as the “first game in the world to feature a 16-bit microcomputer.”

Thanks to the contributors.

> A complete dump of the type 01 program for Zaccaria’s Cat and Mouse has finally been
> obtained, making both known versions of this obscure game playable at last.

Almost a repeat of Irem Green Beret example last year. The leaves Epos Catapult as the remaining cat themed game in which a working pcb is still needing to be found and roms dumped.

>Several Bandai RX-78 cartridges have been dumped, exercising more aspects of the
> emulation and allowing several shortcomings to be fixed.

Great to see this in progress. I look forward to seeing more progress. The golf game reminds me of Accolade's mid 1980s famous home computer game of Mean 18 golf even though they don't look the same.

Alexis B.
Historian
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Cannes, FRANCE
Send PM

#389723 - 01/27/21 01:28 PM

I love the floppies sound when playing on the Apple 2, thanks for this incredible update.

See my collection: here

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#389730 - 01/27/21 08:09 PM

The new LCD shader is not too shabby. I noticed another one called 'Fighters', don't know how long that's been in there.

mame pacman -video bgfx -bgfx_screen_chains lcd-grid -bgfx_backend d3d12

Any brightness/gamma suggestions to try to compensate for the innate darkening some of these black scanline shaders produce?

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: MAME 0.228 new [Re: John IV]
#389731 - 01/27/21 10:02 PM

I couldn't find the fighter shader. Which folder is it in MAME?

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: MAME 0.228 new [Re: joey35car]
#389734 - 01/27/21 11:18 PM

MAME\BGFX\chains\Fighters.json

mame dkong -video bgfx -bgfx_screen_chains Fighters -bgfx_backend d3d12

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: MAME 0.228 new [Re: Alexis B.]
#389769 - 01/30/21 08:19 PM

> I love the floppies sound when playing on the Apple 2, thanks for this incredible
> update.

Seconded, it's fantastic. Anyone familiar with Apple // hardware from this era should check this out.

I'm guessing this plays specific drive sounds from the emulated Disk ][ controller board at the proper times, because it sounds awfully close to my Apple ][ disk drive for specific sector/track reads and writes. From looking at the code change in floppy.cpp it's not clear, at least not to me.

What a cool feature either way though. It's simply MAME 0.228's "one more thing" moment

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1147