Pages: 1

cnterr
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/11/12
Loc: Italia
Send PM

Artwork Animation
#389650 - 01/22/21 02:17 AM

I'm trying to insert some Joystick and buttons animations on artwork of my creation but I don't understand why on some titles they work while on others they either don't appear or appear but don't move.

The animations work correctly for me on:

Ghosts' n Goblins
Double Dragons
Shinobi

They don't work on:

Donkey Kong - They don't move
Space Invaders II (Midway Cocktail) - Do not appear

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Artwork Animation new [Re: cnterr]
#389652 - 01/22/21 02:57 AM Attachment: dkong.zip 8637 KB (8 downloads)

See attached. invadpt2 is one I haven't worked out yet because it requires a lua script, which I still haven't gotten to work yet.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

cnterr
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Artwork Animation new [Re: Nightvoice]
#389654 - 01/22/21 03:43 AM

Many thanks! I'll try it tomorrow morning!

cnterr
MAME Fan
Send PM

#389657 - 01/22/21 06:28 PM

Amazing! Now works! Many thanks again...

https://youtu.be/J7Yzkj4e75Q

This is the other artwork that I would really like to be able to animate...

https://youtu.be/KCLzticTHzA

cnterr
MAME Fan
Send PM

#389945 - 02/19/21 01:23 AM

> See attached. invadpt2 is one I haven't worked out yet because it requires a lua
> script, which I still haven't gotten to work yet.

Hi Nightvoice, I've made various controllers animations inside the artworks but I still haven't been able to find a way that is not to go by trial and error, let me explain ...

The name of the input ports to be used can be easily found by reading the code of the drivers used for each single title, but what I cannot understand is how the "states" work, or rather where and how to retrieve the state for every single title.
As I said at the moment I am going ahead by attempts using as a starting point the example artworks of MrDo and the one you sent me, trying various combinations from time to time and noticed in most cases "states" such as:

Center state 0xf
Up state 0xb
Down state 0x7
Left state 0xd
Right state 0xe
Up-Left state 0x9
Up-Right state 0xa
Down-Left state 0x5
Down-Right state 0x6

In other cases, however:

Center state 0x00
Up state 0x4
Down state 0x8
Left state 0x2
Right state 0x1

Then there are titles like "Space Invaders" or "Shinobi" which from a technical point of view use single buttons for each movement, so instead of having every single movement of the controller corresponding to a state, for each movement two states correspond with the value of 0 and 1, a button precisely.
In these cases I managed to get a 4-way movement instead of 8, bypassing the problem of overlapping the images with images of the cntroller that include a piece of bezel as a background so as to cover the defstate image.

Can you give me some advice on where to find useful information?

Thanks so much!

atan2005
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/08/21
Send PM

#391538 - 08/04/21 10:57 AM

I have also tried to implement buttons and joystick animation on Mr.Do's artwork for invaders, the buttons do appear and work, but the joystick simply doesn't appear at all and don't work either!

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Artwork Animation new [Re: atan2005]
#391542 - 08/04/21 04:14 PM

> I have also tried to implement buttons and joystick animation on Mr.Do's artwork for
> invaders, the buttons do appear and work, but the joystick simply doesn't appear at
> all and don't work either!

Meh, I don't use the joystick versions for invaders so I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure it would work with lua script, I just don't know how to do it effectively yet.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

atan2005
MAME Fan
Send PM

#391563 - 08/06/21 09:54 AM

I have got the lua script for joystick to work with invaders, but I was also able to get it to work without using lua script.

I am new here, could someone tell me how to attach a zip file to the post?

Edited by atan2005 (08/07/21 11:35 AM)

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#391570 - 08/07/21 11:34 AM

> I have got the lua script for joystick version to work with invaders.
>
> I am new here and I don't know how to attach a zip file in my post, could someone
> tell me how to?

Make sure " I want to preview my post and/or attach a file " is ticked. The next screen lets you attach your zip.

atan2005
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Artwork Animation new [Re: Robbbert]
#391571 - 08/07/21 11:47 AM

I have clicked on "Browse..." button for invaders.zip file (37MB) and click "Continue" and my firefox/edge browsers seem to be uploading something but have waited a long time (10 minutes or so) still not completing the transfer and no file was attached and something as below appeared...

==
We cannot proceed. You cannot edit this post.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page.
==

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#391573 - 08/07/21 03:45 PM

> I have clicked on "Browse..." button for invaders.zip file (37MB) and click
> "Continue" and my firefox/edge browsers seem to be uploading something but have
> waited a long time (10 minutes or so) still not completing the transfer and no file
> was attached and something as below appeared...
>
> ==
> We cannot proceed. You cannot edit this post.
>
> Please use your back button to return to the previous page.
> ==

I suspect 37MB is too large. You'll have to upload it somewhere else then link to it.

atan2005
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Artwork Animation new [Re: Robbbert]
#391588 - 08/08/21 11:02 AM Attachment: invaders.zip 1778 KB (12 downloads)

The default.lay was modified from Mr.Do's original artwork invaders.zip file which is still needed.

https://mrdo.mameworld.info/artwork/invaders.zip

The folder "\parts" containing all the images for buttons and joystick in different states.

I was able to get all buttons and joystick to work without using lua script for Upright_Artwork_Midway, Upright_Artwork_Taito, Cabaret_Artwork views.

I have also added extra view "Upright_Artwork_Taito (Lua)" and run "mame -plugins -plugin layout invaders" for the lua script view to work.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork X: Other Artwork Projects
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1177