MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

midget35
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/20/07
Send PM

Question about default analog sensitivity settings
#389642 - 01/21/21 03:19 PM

What determines the default sensitivity values for analog controls in MAME? (I know they can be manually adjusted... but my question is about the default setup).

The sensitivity assignments seem pretty arbitrary to me (that's not a criticism). Looking at the Dial input device, for example, I notice that the games Tempest and Blasteroids have Dial sensitivity set to 100 and 60 respectively. Yet according to the arcadecontrols wiki - both games have the same 'teeth count'.

Are default sensitivity assignments indeed arbitrary? ... or is there a consistent rationale behind it?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Question about default analog sensitivity settings new [Re: midget35]
#389647 - 01/21/21 11:36 PM

> What determines the default sensitivity values for analog controls in MAME? (I know
> they can be manually adjusted... but my question is about the default setup).
>
> The sensitivity assignments seem pretty arbitrary to me (that's not a criticism).
> Looking at the Dial input device, for example, I notice that the games Tempest and
> Blasteroids have Dial sensitivity set to 100 and 60 respectively. Yet according to
> the arcadecontrols wiki - both games have the same 'teeth count'.
>
> Are default sensitivity assignments indeed arbitrary? ... or is there a consistent
> rationale behind it?

It makes no sense to go by "teeth count" if you're playing Tempest with a mouse.
The sensitivity setting is for adjusting the emulation to work with whatever controls you have. If you're using something like a flight stick with a long throw you'd want higher sensitivity than if you were using the thumbstick on a gamepad. I don't believe there is a way for MAME to guess what would be an appropriate default setting for any particular input device out of the billion different ones that exist.
I could be wrong but I'm guessing arbitrary, whoever worked on the driver set the defaults to work with whatever controls they had at hand.

S

midget35
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/20/07
Send PM

Re: Question about default analog sensitivity settings new [Re: Sune]
#389648 - 01/22/21 12:13 AM

Thank you for your reply, Sune. Teeth count is helpful on occasions where more viable hardware is attached (e.g. 3rd party standalone physical spinners).

I am just wondering if the default sensitivity value 'per machine' is set on some scientific basis, so that I might be able to multiply it in code on a machine-by-machine basis.

FYI: My prediction is that the sensitivity values are indeed (at leat largely) arbitrary... but it is worth asking

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Question about default analog sensitivity settings new [Re: midget35]
#389670 - 01/24/21 01:40 AM

> Thank you for your reply, Sune. Teeth count is helpful on occasions where more viable
> hardware is attached (e.g. 3rd party standalone physical spinners).

That's true but you still have your OS and MAME's own uh "input handling" to go through and by that point your teeth-count accurate spinner is seen as any old ordinary mouse.

> I am just wondering if the default sensitivity value 'per machine' is set on some
> scientific basis, so that I might be able to multiply it in code on a
> machine-by-machine basis.

That's what I understood from your post but again I don't believe that's possible within the context of MAME. It would be cool if it was though.

> FYI: My prediction is that the sensitivity values are indeed (at leat largely)
> arbitrary... but it is worth asking

I think the explanation that makes the most sense that the default values are just whatever the driver developer felt worked the best with the controls they had at hand when the driver was written.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 400