View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

bigaaron
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/20/21
Send PM

Evil Night problems
#389619 - 01/20/21 03:00 AM

Hello everyone. Hopefully someone here can help me. I have been trying FOREVER to get Evil Night to run. I know it runs very very slow and is unplayable but I want to add it to my available list anyways but no matter what I do or what I try I cannot get it to run. I have the 2 CHD files inside a UNZIPPED folder named "evilngt" in my roms folder and I have the ZIPPED "evilngt" rom also in my roms folder. What's strange is that I have every other game that requires A CHD file up and running. I have tried several versions of mame but no luck. Maybe someone has an idea on how to get this to run and show up in the available list. Thanks.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: Evil Night problems new [Re: bigaaron]
#389620 - 01/20/21 04:02 AM

Make sure your rom set is the same as the MAME version. Also not in front of my pc not sure if it's marked not working.

bigaaron
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Evil Night problems new [Re: joey35car]
#389621 - 01/20/21 04:08 AM

I'm using mame.227. How do I know if the rom set is the same as the version of mame I'm using?

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Evil Night problems new [Re: joey35car]
#389622 - 01/20/21 04:16 AM

It's working. Albeit very slowly depending on your system specs...

Have you tried deleting the games ancillary files?
nvram, ini, cfg, sta, etc? cheats on?

If you've tried to run it before any recent changes, it could be trying to load some older values that conflict with it & kill it.

Try it in a fresh install of MAME by itself & see if it works. If it does then you know it's something in your old configs somewhere...

GL

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#389623 - 01/20/21 04:42 AM Attachment: verify evil night(s).zip 1 KB (2 downloads)

If MAME doesn't tell you that 1 of the roms is wrong then you should be OK. Unless you're using a hacked up version of MAME then all bets are off...

You can use this quick batch file to check if you want but I would suggest getting clrmamepro (rom manager) & learn how to use it. It will make life so much easier...

bigaaron
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Evil Night problems new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#389625 - 01/20/21 06:14 AM

Would you be kind enough to let me know which version of mame you are using and which rom and CHD files you are using please? That would be a big help.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#389628 - 01/20/21 07:48 AM

You said you were using .227. That is the most recent & what I based that on.
Also, only the evilngt set works. The chd for evilngte is not added into the driver yet.

Also have you tried Hell Night? It runs on the same hardware & is the same thing...

GL! Hope that helps...

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#389631 - 01/20/21 10:33 AM

>I'm using MAME .227 How do I know if the rom set is the same as the version of MAME I'm
> using?

If the rom set is out of date, rom specific error messages will appear when trying to run the game. If no rom related error messages appear, but a user still wants to verify romset.

rom management programs like Clrmamepro would be simplest way (albeit a learning curve involved) to go if not wanting to dive into details of rom name issues or CRC issues.

https://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/

For those users that are into wanting to examine the details like a statistician, the a web site like http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/lista_mame.php

would be the way to go. Type in rom name and then do specific searches such as specific file names and CRC values and SHA1 values.

http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mame.php?game_name=evilngt&search_id=2

For users that have literally spent mucho amount of time with looking throughout source code of MAME and want to tackle the rom set issue 'commando' style (pants no underwear or wearing underwear but no pants)

the user can search for source code file

src/mame/drivers/konamim2.cpp

and then do a line search within the roms section and examine name, CRC, SHA1 sections to see any specific differences.

ROM_START( evilngt )

ROM_REGION64_BE( 0x200000, "boot", 0 )
ROM_LOAD16_WORD( "636a01.8q", 0x000000, 0x200000, CRC(7b1dc738)

ROM_REGION( 0x2000, "m48t58", 0 ) /* timekeeper SRAM */
ROM_LOAD( "m48t58y.9n", 0x000000, 0x002000, CRC(e887ca1f)

DISK_REGION( "cdrom" )
DISK_IMAGE_READONLY( "810uba02",

GAME( 1998, evilngt, 0, ...."Konami", "Evil Night (ver UBA)", MACHINE_IMPERFECT_TIMING )

GAME( 1998, evilngte, evilngt, ..."Konami", "Evil Night (ver EAA)", MACHINE_NOT_WORKING | MACHINE_IMPERFECT_TIMING )
// TODO: Add CHD

GAME( 1998, hellngt, evilngt, .... "Konami", "Hell Night (ver EAA)", MACHINE_IMPERFECT_TIMING )

It depends which method user is most comfortable with.

As already mentioned, the clone rom set evilngte is missing the specific CD Rom
that is used to run the game. Several of the games have regional rom differences hence the parent rom name and the clone rom name. Besides the differences with the rom chips, the extraneous data storage hardware (CDs, Hard disks) might also have differences.

In some specific cases, contributors might only have the pcb, but no CD or some might be fortunate enough to have all of the hardware on hand (pcb, CD or hard disk etc.)

bigaaron
MAME Fan
Send PM

#389638 - 01/20/21 06:51 PM

You said you CANNOT use a hacked up version of mame right? So I looked and I have tried it out on 2 versions...mameui64 and arcade 64. Should it run on those 2 because Total Vice and Tobe polystars both show up on the list and those are M2 games like Evil Night.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#389639 - 01/20/21 10:50 PM

> Hello everyone. Hopefully someone here can help me. I have been trying FOREVER to get
> Evil Night to run. I know it runs very very slow and is unplayable but I want to add
> it to my available list anyways but no matter what I do or what I try I cannot get it
> to run. I have the 2 CHD files inside a UNZIPPED folder named "evilngt" in my roms
> folder and I have the ZIPPED "evilngt" rom also in my roms folder. What's strange is
> that I have every other game that requires A CHD file up and running. I have tried
> several versions of mame but no luck. Maybe someone has an idea on how to get this to
> run and show up in the available list. Thanks.

Just so you know:

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/konamim2.cpp

The History tab will also show if anything in the driver has changed, but don't hold your breath on seeing any significant progress for a long time.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#389641 - 01/21/21 03:57 AM Attachment: verify evilngt chd.zip 736 KB (1 downloads)

By hacked up I meant an unofficial build with things added or removed or short-cutted for convenience sake.

Yes it should work on those 2. I used the official & MAMEUI64 to do this.

And yes, those 2 also work and are the only others working in that driver besides Hell Night. Those 4 all work just fine here. On this 3.2GHz PC I get about 33% speed on them so it takes a few minutes to self test & boot.

If you've tried a new fresh install into a new folder & it still doesn't work then I would get CLRMAMEPro & check it.

You can also use chdman.exe to check chd's too.

I've included the latest chdman & a batch file to use if you want. Just unzip it into your folder with the chd in it & hit the batch file...

And if that doesn't clear things up then I'm at a loss for now... sorry...everyone here has given you good advice maybe they have another better idea...

BTW - Last thought:
You do have the chd named correctly right? 810uba02.chd and not evilngt.chd ?

bigaaron
MAME Fan
Send PM

#389651 - 01/22/21 02:24 AM

How do I use this? I used the one you sent me for the CHD files and that was easy to use since the folders are unzipped but the evilngt rom is zipped...not sure what to do. Thanks again.

EDIT: Nevermind...figured it out.

Edited by bigaaron (01/22/21 03:05 AM)

bigaaron
MAME Fan
Send PM

#389653 - 01/22/21 03:04 AM

I FINALLY(!!!!!!!!!!!) got it running!! I found a evilngt rom for .226 and used the mame.226 version and it showed up and works!! Guess I wasnt using the correct version of the rom and mame together. Thanks to everyone who tried to help my dumbass.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#389655 - 01/22/21 03:54 AM

No big deal...

But that's why we all use rom managers like clrmamepro. 1 quick scan would have showed you that right off!
My suggestion would be to d/l it & learn how to use it for the next release in a week or so.
That'll give you some time for the learning curve & setting things up how you want them.
Just saying...once you get the hang of it, it makes many things a lot easier.

Enjoy your new slow game! lol

C'ya

bigaaron
MAME Fan
Send PM

#389656 - 01/22/21 06:23 AM

I will definitely d/l and learn the program. Sounds like it makes things a lot easier. Thanks once again. I do very much appreciate all the help.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 402 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1753