MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

bmd2k1
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/13/20
Send PM

MAME & Flyers
#389008 - 12/14/20 07:47 PM

Hi All...

Running MAME .220 on Ubuntu 20.10 -- brand new install (after having a VERY Old version running on Win98 finally take a dump.)

I recently loaded up Flyers for everything - now some games run within a very small window inside their flyer. How do I keep the flyer - but have the game Not run inside the flyer?

(when I remove the flyer for these games -- they run full expected size again)

Thanks in advance!
Brian

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: MAME & Flyers new [Re: bmd2k1]
#389011 - 12/14/20 10:01 PM

> Hi All...
>
> Running MAME .220 on Ubuntu 20.10 -- brand new install (after having a VERY Old
> version running on Win98 finally take a dump.)
>
> I recently loaded up Flyers for everything - now some games run within a very small
> window inside their flyer. How do I keep the flyer - but have the game Not run inside
> the flyer?
>
> (when I remove the flyer for these games -- they run full expected size again)
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Brian

Hi Brian!

If you hit the Tab key, then you should be presented with MAME's internal UI. From there, you can use the Up and Down arrow keys to select "Video Options" and hit Enter.

At that point, you should be able to select whatever view most appeals to you, most likely "Screen 0 Standard".

bmd2k1
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/13/20
Send PM

Re: MAME & Flyers new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#389012 - 12/14/20 10:13 PM

Awesome! Works great.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Brian

Alexis B.
Historian
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Cannes, FRANCE
Send PM

Re: MAME & Flyers new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#389029 - 12/16/20 08:07 PM

Hello MooglyGuy,

Speaking of the video options, I noticed when I try to take a screenshot (F12) of a game without any artworks activated, the screenshots contains all the default artworks... Any way to desactivate them for the capture ? For now, I change the name of the artwork folder when I want to do some screenshots...

Edited by Alexis B. (12/16/20 08:08 PM)

See my collection: here

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: MAME & Flyers new [Re: Alexis B.]
#389030 - 12/16/20 08:27 PM

> Hello MooglyGuy,
>
> Speaking of the video options, I noticed when I try to take a screenshot (F12) of a
> game without any artworks activated, the screenshots contains all the default
> artworks... Any way to desactivate them for the capture ? For now, I change the name
> of the artwork folder when I want to do some screenshots...

In order to make a change to type of screenshot, you need to use the trigger -snapview.

Example:
mame64 mappy -snapview "Screen 0 Standard (3:4)"

This will allow your snapshots to be made without the default artwork view if you happen to have artwork installed. You get a list of these and the text should match 100% from what is presented in the TAB > VIDEO OPTIONS menu.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: MAME & Flyers new [Re: Tafoid]
#389036 - 12/17/20 05:47 AM

MAME takes whichever view is listed first in the lay file as the default from which to take the screenshot. If the first defined view is the "Screen 0 Standard (3:4)" then you don't have to use the trigger change. But, if it is different & has art associated with it then that's what you get using MAME's internal screenshot generator(unless you specify differently as Tafoid stated).

As someone who has battled with this for years, it's just easier to change the artwork folder name & only use it when you want to check out the cool new artwork & actually play the game.

My little rant: The lay files should have some sort of organization to all of them from the start.
For example, the 1st view would be standard 3:4 then standard widescreen then start with the artwork definitions & go from there.
Just seems to make sense to me to have a standardized method in dealing with artwork now that it has become so common.

Now the hard coded artwork is a wholly different animal to get into & deal with...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: MAME & Flyers new [Re: Tafoid]
#389037 - 12/17/20 06:44 AM

> > Hello MooglyGuy,
> >
> > Speaking of the video options, I noticed when I try to take a screenshot (F12) of a
> > game without any artworks activated, the screenshots contains all the default
> > artworks... Any way to desactivate them for the capture ? For now, I change the
> name
> > of the artwork folder when I want to do some screenshots...
>
> In order to make a change to type of screenshot, you need to use the trigger
> -snapview.
>
> Example:
> mame64 mappy -snapview "Screen 0 Standard (3:4)"
>
> This will allow your snapshots to be made without the default artwork view if you
> happen to have artwork installed. You get a list of these and the text should match
> 100% from what is presented in the TAB > VIDEO OPTIONS menu.

Don’t forget the magic "-snapview native" to get separate pixel-perfect snapshots for each of the screens in the system. I’m going to bite the bullet and clean up some of this stuff for 0.227 though.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: MAME & Flyers new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#389038 - 12/17/20 06:50 AM

> MAME takes whichever view is listed first in the lay file as the default from which
> to take the screenshot. If the first defined view is the "Screen 0 Standard (3:4)"
> then you don't have to use the trigger change. But, if it is different & has art
> associated with it then that's what you get using MAME's internal screenshot
> generator(unless you specify differently as Tafoid stated).
>
> As someone who has battled with this for years, it's just easier to change the
> artwork folder name & only use it when you want to check out the cool new artwork &
> actually play the game.

"-snapview native" exists if you want raw pixels.

> My little rant: The lay files should have some sort of organization to all of them
> from the start.
> For example, the 1st view would be standard 3:4 then standard widescreen then start
> with the artwork definitions & go from there.
> Just seems to make sense to me to have a standardized method in dealing with artwork
> now that it has become so common.

That falls over quickly when the artwork contains key gameplay elements, or greatly enhances the experience. For example seawolf and stactics use lamps/LEDs to display stuff necessary to play at all, irrmaze just isn't the same without the lamps in the monitor surround, and a lot of gambling games benefit greatly from being able to see button lamps.

Also, multi-screen systems should show all the screens by default to avoid bringing up the system in an unusable state.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: MAME & Flyers new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#389039 - 12/17/20 07:26 AM

> As someone who has battled with this for years, it's just easier to change the
> artwork folder name & only use it when you want to check out the cool new artwork &
> actually play the game.
>
> My little rant: The lay files should have some sort of organization to all of them
> from the start.
> For example, the 1st view would be standard 3:4 then standard widescreen then start
> with the artwork definitions & go from there.
> Just seems to make sense to me to have a standardized method in dealing with artwork
> now that it has become so common.

But there already is a standard organization of how artwork views are listed in the Video Options menu:

- Views listed in the external artwork file
- If game is a clone, and external artwork for the parent exists, those views are listed next
- If game has a separate internal LAY file, those views are next
- If game is a clone with a separate internal LAY file, and there is a parent also with an internal LAY file, that is listed next
- Finally, the Standard views are listed for the game orientation type (Standard 3:4 or 4:3, etc.)

If the Standard views were listed first, we are defeating the whole purpose of having artwork in the first place. We'd go from a few people asking why their screenshots don't come out the way they used to be to a whole bunch of people asking "I have the artwork for game X, how come it doesn't display when I start the game."

I feel like I answered this already somewhere... oh...

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=mameui&Number=388196

Now I'm all confused... I'm answering the same person twice with the same answer.

> Now the hard coded artwork is a wholly different animal to get into & deal with...
>
> Just my 2 cents worth...

Setting the snapview option here solves that, too. Just set that option to "Screen 0" in your INI file, and problem is solved and done for 95%+ of games.

Alternately, instead of renaming your artwork folder, you can temporarily comment out the artwork folder line in your INI. Same result.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 625