Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

MAME Artwork Update - ReBoot
#388733 - 11/22/20 11:39 PM

Mr. Do's Arcade

2020's almost done, so I guess it's time for a new MAME Artwork update. 173 new or updated games in this release.

We've got fresh new faces helping with the cleanup of artwork, and a newly overhauled artwork system in MAME, thanks to Vas Crabb and the rest of MAMEDev.

I made sure to include lots of different examples of how the new artwork system works in this update; there is an extensive writeup over on the MAMEDev website today. I'll be updating related pages on my site hopefully before the year is over.

Pretty sure this is the largest update on the site in years, if ever, so head on over to the main page and check out all the new artwork.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Thanks new [Re: Mr. Do]
#388743 - 11/23/20 02:14 AM

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

RaspBear
retrogamer
Reged: 09/12/16
Loc: Italia
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - ReBoot new [Re: Mr. Do]
#388750 - 11/23/20 08:53 AM

Wow!!
Mame users wouldn't benefit of all this without your great dedication and hard work.
Thanks again to you, the devs and all the other guys restoring arcade art.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - ReBoot Hill *edit* new [Re: Mr. Do]
#388755 - 11/23/20 01:24 PM

>so I guess it's time for a new MAME Artwork update. 173 new or updated games in this
>release.

I'll say....impressive update.

>ReBoot Hill

This particular update alone impressed the heck out of me. As a kid back then in 1970s decade and seeing Boot Hill at various places back then, it wasn't my type of game but as decades go by, the interior cab artwork is what I can appreciate since the cab designers had to be creative in how to make game appealing when video technology was still somewhat limited because of either video and hardware technology wasn't available at the time or simply way too costly to support.

Both side scenery pieces are still needed, but the background scenery is supported.

As listed in Midway Boot Hill white glossy cover parts catalog:

0612 - 00901 Vacuum formed background scenery
0612 - 00906 - 0200 side scenery card left
0612 - 00906 - 0100 side scenery card right

The Boot Hill artwork update still captures the spirit from 1970s as if one were playing actual cab. The backlit lamps (seated behind bezel piece) that illuminate bezel piece when playing game in darken/night room, is another thing that would be neat to have, but that was a visual thing....not part of the gameplay. A few of the 1970s era Midway upright cabs had the backlit lamp feature as well. Darn good job with Boot Hill artwork update.

--
Bezel for Boot Hill, scanned by me, courtesy of Gene at Vintage Arcade Superstore

Also, the backdrop has been replaced with a much higher quality version that Gene loaned out, which I photographed similar to the baseball backdrops from the last release.

https://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork/boothill.png
--

Edited by gregf (11/25/20 01:04 AM)

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#388763 - 11/23/20 05:23 PM

Awesome news. Thanks to everyone for the hard work that has been put into these artwork scans and coding. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - ReBoot Hill new [Re: gregf]
#388764 - 11/23/20 05:45 PM

> > so I guess it's time for a new MAME Artwork update. 173 new or updated games in this
>
> > release.
>
> I'll say....impressive update.
>
>
> > ReBoot Hill
>
> This particular update alone impressed the heck out of me. As a kid back then in
> 1970s decade and seeing Boot Hill at various places back then, it wasn't my type of
> game but as decades go by, the interior cab artwork is what I can appreciate since
> the cab designers had to be creative in how to make game appealing when video
> technology was still somewhat limited because of either video and hardware technology
> wasn't available at the time or simply way too costly to support.
>
> I am guessing you were able to get the left and right side interior artwork pieces
> used with Boot Hill cab photographed as well as one whole artwork piece. If the
> interior side pieces weren't available to take photographs, the artwork update still
> captures the spirit from 1970s as if one were playing actual cab. The only (a minor
> thing) remaining thing that comes to mind that might be missing is backlit lamps
> (seated behind bezel piece) that illuminate bezel piece when playing game in
> darken/night room since that was a visual thing for quite a few of the 1970s era
> Midway upright cabs. Darn good job with Boot Hill artwork update.
>
>
> --
> Bezel for Boot Hill, scanned by me, courtesy of Gene at Vintage Arcade Superstore
>
> Also, the backdrop has been replaced with a much higher quality version that Gene
> loaned out, which I photographed similar to the baseball backdrops from the last
> release.
>
>
> https://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork/boothill.png
> --

Yeah I like this one better than before.

If someone get a picture of it with the backlit on. I pretty sure someone can make that effect on this artwork. There a lot of talent artists out there does this kind of thing. I wouldn't replace this one though. Have one on and other the other off.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - ReBoot Hill new [Re: Dullaron]
#388766 - 11/23/20 08:21 PM

>If someone get a picture of it with the backlit on. I pretty sure someone can make that
>effect on this artwork. There a lot of talent artists out there does this kind of thing.

I overlooked the paragraph (shown below) that is above the Boot Hill entry on the wip section. Maybe something might happen later.

--
Elsewhere on the internet, Mr. Retrolust at the LauncBox forums is continuing work on his Lights Out project, where the goal is to create artwork as it would look if you were in a darkened arcade.
-

>I wouldn't replace this one though. Have one on and other the other off.

What is currently there would be the 'day time' image. If another Boot Hill artwork is done with bezel illuminated with backlit lamps giving the bezel a glow, that should be a different entry itself.

Most of the 1970s era Midway games that used backlit lamps behind the bezel piece were visual effects. It's more of a trivial issue at this time whereas some games that do use backlit lamps as part of gameplay status is more important such as Ramtek Clean Sweep as an example.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#388767 - 11/23/20 09:05 PM

Very Nice!
Combat looks lovely. I'd forgotten about that title.

Will it be possible to add the 3D tilt screen into the video options menu? It may not always be practical for play but it sure looks awesome.

Is there a desire to have a duromold cabinet? Perhaps it has already been done. I was just thinking about it while checking out Sinistar. My contact has a few duromolds so it is possible to get more recent photos.

Also wondering about joysticks for Space Invaders.

TrevEB

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Way *too* quiet about...VECTREX! new [Re: Mr. Do]
#388769 - 11/24/20 12:07 AM

Yes!

Thank you for all the hard work, then uploading, and of course, sharing.

Finally, the Vectrex update! It works and looks spectacular!

Thank you again to all involved parties...An awesome job!

-Trebor

nutte
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/05/15
Send PM

Re: Way *too* quiet about...VECTREX! new [Re: Trebor]
#388773 - 11/24/20 09:34 AM

Thanks for pointing that out, otherwise I would have missed it.
Huge improvement! I've been hoping for years that the old Vectrex artwork would get updated. Thanks to all involved.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: Way *too* quiet about...VECTREX! new [Re: nutte]
#388775 - 11/24/20 03:20 PM

> Thanks for pointing that out, otherwise I would have missed it.
> Huge improvement! I've been hoping for years that the old Vectrex artwork would get
> updated. Thanks to all involved.

I download it as well.

Old Wolf
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Austin, Texas
Send PM

Outstanding work as always...thank you Mr. Do ! (nt) new [Re: Mr. Do]
#388780 - 11/25/20 12:31 AM

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Way *too* quiet about...VECTREX! new [Re: Trebor]
#388781 - 11/25/20 12:40 AM

Never heard of Vectrex before this. Interesting toy.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Alexis B.
Historian
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Cannes, FRANCE
Send PM

#388782 - 11/25/20 12:50 AM

The Hang-On one is incredible.

See my collection: here

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 310 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 896