MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

digitaldog
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/11/20
Send PM

Galaga on MAME 0.225 is lagging fire 200-300 ms
#388533 - 11/11/20 08:18 PM

Hi,

Galaga on MAME 0.225 is lagging fire 200-300 ms since you press the fire key to when it's really firing. This is a Dell laptop with i7 CPU and fully updated Windows 10, tried also on HP Envy with Ryzen, exactly same effect. It's very hard to play. Left/right movements seem fine. Windows power options set to high performance. Sound is perfect, no frame skip, emulation speed 100%. Just the fire is delayed. I tried remapping fire key to a different one to check if it's the culprit, no change. Tried MAME64 and MAME64UI, same results. Tried various Galaga ROMs, no difference. Older MAME versions - same result. Low latency setting checked - no change.

For casual player it may not be a problem, however I'm a Galaga addict making 2-3 millions on a real arcade machine but on MAME I can't exceed 200,000 thanks to this glitch...

I tried to show it on the attached video. I'm hitting the fire button hard so that you can hear the key sound and when it's actually launching a bullet and making a sound in game. I think it's easy to reproduce.

My theory is that the keypress is ingested by MAME and buffered for some reason for like 200-300 milliseconds and then passed to the game. However I'm not a MAME expert, so it would need confirmation.

Is there a MAME expert/MAME developer here to verify this?

Thanks in advance.

https://youtu.be/Diy6QZNYu8k

older video:
https://youtu.be/lvxGFH5WVkU

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Galaga on MAME 0.225 is lagging fire 200-300 ms new [Re: digitaldog]
#388551 - 11/11/20 10:49 PM

I'm using .226 and it's working perfectly fine. No delays. But then I didn't really notice a delay from when I heard you push the fire key to when it showed Galaga firing, so who knows

Edited by Envisaged0ne (11/11/20 10:51 PM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

It better to record from your Desktop screen. Using the Bandicam or any program to catcher it. new [Re: digitaldog]
#388553 - 11/12/20 05:59 AM

Pushing button sounds isn't gonna get us to hear the game play fully.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#388554 - 11/12/20 06:50 AM

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE learn how to shoot proper cell phone video. I have my computer connected to a 65" TV and I REFUSE to watch a video that looks like it was shot through a keyhole. 2/3 of the screen is W A S T E D!! Turn the phone SIDEWAYS, THEN open the camera app!!

I HATE watching ghetto rats at Walmart recording a confrontation, and they have their phone vertical instead of horizontal. As soon as I saw the video is shot ghetto, I turn it off, no matter what it is. If you waste 2/3 of my screen with black borders, I am not wasting my time watching it. This is 2020!! Learn how to record video!!

https://vtrep.com/7-ways-get-professional-quality-video-smartphone/
Notice the pic at the top, and READ # 4

/rant mode: off

Edited by sirscotty (11/12/20 06:57 AM)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#388556 - 11/12/20 09:32 AM

> My theory is that the keypress is ingested by MAME and buffered for some reason for
> like 200-300 milliseconds and then passed to the game. However I'm not a MAME expert,
> so it would need confirmation.
>
> Is there a MAME expert/MAME developer here to verify this?

Yes. MAME developer since 2002 over here. Your theory is unsound. You stated yourself that left/right movement seem fine, and there is absolutely no special code path for directional movements versus other buttons that would cause the sort of disjoint behavior that you describe.

It's not at all clear what the source of this issue is, and as was rudely pointed out by sirscotty elsewhere in the thread, a cell phone video is not going to diagnose it.

MAME certainly has perceivable lag due to various reasons under the hood, and will most likely always have a minimum of 1-2 frames of delay. But you're implying that the fire control, and just the fire control, is somehow magically held up by upwards of 12-16 frames. That pretty much beggars belief. It requires proof, and you haven't really given any beyond a cell phone video with no way of deriving accurate timing.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#388557 - 11/12/20 01:52 PM

> My theory is that the keypress is ingested by MAME and buffered for some reason for
> like 200-300 milliseconds and then passed to the game. However I'm not a MAME expert,
> so it would need confirmation.
>

Namco's original hardware does something like what you describe, inputs are read via an MCU and processed / buffered before being forwarded to the main CPU. Namco were one of the very early adopters of such tech, and as such, yes, there can be noticeable extra few frames of input lag on some of their games, even on original hardware, but not to the extent you're talking about (and your video doesn't seem to support your figures either)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 238 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 851