MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

klein
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/07/20
Send PM

Extract models from chd file
#388482 - 11/07/20 04:54 PM

Hello, I would like to extract models and textures from a sega system sp game of chd type for the file but I cannot do it with chdman, is there a solution?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Extract models from chd file new [Re: klein]
#388488 - 11/07/20 10:45 PM

> Hello, I would like to extract models and textures from a sega system sp game of chd
> type for the file but I cannot do it with chdman, is there a solution?

Yes

klein
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Extract models from chd file new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#388490 - 11/08/20 12:51 AM

> > Hello, I would like to extract models and textures from a sega system sp game of
> chd
> > type for the file but I cannot do it with chdman, is there a solution?
>
> Yes

How?

Edited by klein (11/08/20 02:09 AM)

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#388497 - 11/08/20 03:45 PM

> > > Hello, I would like to extract models and textures from a sega system sp game of
> > chd
> > > type for the file but I cannot do it with chdman, is there a solution?
> >
> > Yes
>
> How?

No one but yourself could help you with that, but here are a few directions. The hardware if I recall correctly is Linux based and a NAOMI derivative over a SD card(?). So you probably need to extract the partition image with CHDMAN and mount the partition on Linux to see the system files of the content. Then look for the texture files.

Honestly I'm not interested on looking any further. Maybe someone else could help you more in deep about this.

klein
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Extract models from chd file new [Re: BIOS-D]
#388505 - 11/08/20 07:55 PM

> > > > Hello, I would like to extract models and textures from a sega system sp game
> of
> > > chd
> > > > type for the file but I cannot do it with chdman, is there a solution?
> > >
> > > Yes
> >
> > How?
>
> No one but yourself could help you with that, but here are a few directions. The
> hardware if I recall correctly is Linux based and a NAOMI derivative over a SD
> card(?). So you probably need to extract the partition image with CHDMAN and mount
> the partition on Linux to see the system files of the content. Then look for the
> texture files.
>
> Honestly I'm not interested on looking any further. Maybe someone else could help you
> more in deep about this.

How I can extract the partition image with chdman ?

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

#388518 - 11/09/20 02:04 PM

> How I can extract the partition image with chdman ?

'chdman -?' gives me (among other options) :

Code:

chdman extracthd: extract raw hard disk file from a CHD input file
chdman extractcd: extract CD file from a CHD input file

I've never used these options, but the option names and descriptions make them sound like you might want to investigate if they might be useful in achieving your goal.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#388521 - 11/09/20 03:50 PM

> How I can extract the partition image with chdman ?

Please be aware that even if you can extract the low-level image with chdman, you're still going to need some way to mount it as a virtual filesystem.

Be equally aware that not every game has what modern operating systems think of as a filesystem, nor drivers to interpret it.

Last but not least, just like any game that's released on any platform, the game itself is ultimately driven by some sort of game engine. That game engine might have any number of methods for loading model data, processing it, and turning it into commands that result in something being visible on-screen.

What I'm getting at here is that, yes, you can extract the low-level system image using chdman. But that's one of about fifty million steps that you're going to have to go through, only one of which we can help you with, that will contribute towards your goal.

Emulating a given platform doesn't typically require intimate knowledge of how a particular game stored its models, or its textures, or really any other sort of data. It just involves running the CPU code that comprises the game engine. That same CPU, and same emulator, could run database software, a word processor, or a flight simulator if the underlying binaries happened to tell it to do so. The emulator doesn't care about the actual task that the emulated machine is doing, and so it lacks that knowledge.

klein
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Extract models from chd file new [Re: mhoes]
#388522 - 11/09/20 04:31 PM

> > How I can extract the partition image with chdman ?
>
>
> 'chdman -?' gives me (among other options) :
>
> chdman extracthd: extract raw hard disk file from a CHD input file
> chdman extractcd: extract CD file from a CHD input file
>
> I've never used these options, but the option names and descriptions make them sound
> like you might want to investigate if they might be useful in achieving your goal.

I used these two commands to have a raw and hd file of the chd file. I also created a linux Ubuntu virtual machine.

klein
MAME Fan
Send PM

#388700 - 11/20/20 03:04 PM

Hi,I managed to convert the chd file to hdd file with chdman and I extracted the img file from the hdd file. Is there a way to mount the img file in linux? (sorry for my english)

Edited by klein (11/20/20 03:06 PM)

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

#388713 - 11/21/20 06:40 PM

> Hi,I managed to convert the chd file to hdd file with chdman and I extracted the img
> file from the hdd file. Is there a way to mount the img file in linux? (sorry for my
> english)

google 'mount image file linux'

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#388942 - 12/06/20 09:59 AM

> Hi,I managed to convert the chd file to hdd file with chdman and I extracted the img
> file from the hdd file. Is there a way to mount the img file in linux? (sorry for my
> english)

Have a good read of MooglyGuy's reply. To summarise: there may be no file system at all or it could be some funky / modified file system, the game assets may not be in files in any recognizable format (or in blobs of data and not traditional files), etc. Mounting the image is step 1 of what could be a huge number of steps to get the game assets / models you want. Just because the game is emulated, this does not mean the MAME devs have intimate knowledge of how the game data is stored.

Moose

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1261