Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Reynard
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/06
Loc: Australia
Send PM

Why can't 'hide romless machines from available list' work in MAMEUI?
#388172 - 10/13/20 03:05 PM

As the title says, I love this feature from vanilla MAME and wish something like this was in MAMEUI, but I once saw a thread from years ago with a dev saying MAMEUI has no way of implementing it.

Can someone please explain why?

Also, is there no way to take screenshots without bezels/overlays? I can't seem to find any way to just get raw screens from games that have additional UI elements, only how to hide them while actually playing.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Why can't 'hide romless machines from available list' work in MAMEUI? new [Re: Reynard]
#388180 - 10/14/20 03:49 AM

As to your 1st question, I'll let someone more knowledgeable explain...

For the 2nd,
I asked about that years ago & was told it would be a major overhaul kind of thing. I've been meaning to talk to Vas about it with the recent artwork modifications he's started implementing lately to see if it's something that can be addressed. I just haven't had time to do it yet...

Here are my observations & work arounds...

-If it's a simple artwork file only, rename your artwork folder & take your snapshots. This works on a lot of them & it's easy to get around.

-If it's a hard-coded item in MAME that you want removed you have to go through & remove that from the src before you compile the code. Even if you turn artwork off in the video options, that will still show up no matter what unless you remove & re-compile.

-There is another way around this that takes a little less work, but will not work for the hard-coded aspects. This leads us to the lay file in the artwork file. When MAME loads your selected machine it searches for an artwork file in the appropriate folder & then loads it according to the lay file contained within. Whatever view is presented as the 1st view seems to be what MAME considers as the "Default". So if you have the "Standard (4:3)" as the 1st in your list of views you'll be fine. But say you have "Button Lamps" as the 1st view, then that's what MAME sees as the default. Even if you change the view to "Standard (4:3)", MAME thinks that it still needs the button lamps because that's the Default. It may render it without them on screen but when you take an internal snapshot MAME reverts back to that Default view but with the current game data. (Think save state, just with a different screen render...same current game variables just different output image...) This is also true of the hard-coded ones too & why they have to be removed before compile, otherwise MAME thinks that they need to be drawn on every screen, like a "pre-default".
Basically you need to go through & change all the lay files to where Standard (4:3) is the 1st in the list of views & you'll be fine for naked screenies!(or at least for a lot of them. Now if everyone would put that 1st in their lay files we could all live in perfect harmony & none of this would be necessary but alas...)

I'm sure it could be done but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to change MAME to take its internal snapshot from the video output & not the way it is doing it now or maybe just to implement the current artwork view, not the originally read default view to get the screenshot.

Well that's enough of that for now, it's probably more than you wanted anyway...

(If I am wrong on any of these someone please enlighten me! I'd like to know... And of course some of these things may have changed since I last attempted them especially in light of the recent changes...)

While we're here, the other thing I'd like to see in regards to screenshots & artwork would be that all of the artwork be kept outside of the MAME file itself. I think that MAME already looks for an artwork folder & a lay file to begin with. That way if someone doesn't want the extra things they don't have to download it 1st of all, rename the file or the whole artwork folder itself & it's gone. EZ as that... (Not to mention easier to manipulate for editing.) Does it save that much space to include that info in the executable instead of a separate artwork zip? Or save time? Or what are the other reasons for inclusion? Just asking, don't know...I'm sure the Devs have many reason why...

Maybe that helped a bit? Thanks for reading....

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Reynard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why can't 'hide romless machines from available list' work in MAMEUI? new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#388184 - 10/14/20 05:49 PM

The real issue I have is with hard coded stuff like say, a gear position overlay which you just can't get rid of any more, and completely ruins the ability to take proper screenshots as it's drawn over the game's graphics and changes the colour depth of the snapshot, also some overlays seem to change the resolution of the game so I can't get a nice 1:1 pixel snap.

I used to be able to do these things just fine, but now all the disable bezel/artwork/overlay etc options no longer exist. I get that there have been a lot of core changes, but to completely do away with such features entirely? I just can't understand. Having to compile my own MAME just to take clean screenshots is just absurd.

I like the idea of keeping artwork and related stuff out of the core file too... Didnt MAME used to try to avoid bloating the executable?

Thanks for the reply, I'd love my first question addressed, but no dev has ever responded to my requests for or even an explanation for the lack of a "hide bios files from available" filter in 4+ years... and the only info I could find on the romless machines feature was "it can't work in mameui".

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Why can't 'hide romless machines from available list' work in MAMEUI? new [Re: Reynard]
#388196 - 10/15/20 02:33 AM Attachment: 0002.png 2 KB (1 downloads)

> The real issue I have is with hard coded stuff like say, a gear position overlay
> which you just can't get rid of any more, and completely ruins the ability to take
> proper screenshots as it's drawn over the game's graphics and changes the colour
> depth of the snapshot, also some overlays seem to change the resolution of the game
> so I can't get a nice 1:1 pixel snap.
>
> I used to be able to do these things just fine, but now all the disable
> bezel/artwork/overlay etc options no longer exist. I get that there have been a lot
> of core changes, but to completely do away with such features entirely? I just can't
> understand. Having to compile my own MAME just to take clean screenshots is just
> absurd.
>
> I like the idea of keeping artwork and related stuff out of the core file too...
> Didnt MAME used to try to avoid bloating the executable?
>
> Thanks for the reply, I'd love my first question addressed, but no dev has ever
> responded to my requests for or even an explanation for the lack of a "hide bios
> files from available" filter in 4+ years... and the only info I could find on the
> romless machines feature was "it can't work in mameui".

The option "-snapview" controls which Artwork View MAME uses when using F12 for screenshots. By default, this is set to "internal," which means MAME will use the default Artwork View when loading the game when it takes the snapshot. If there is an External Artwork file, it will use the first view listed in that game. If a game has no external artwork, but has an Internal Artwork view built-in, it will use that view.

In your INI file, change this option to "Screen 0." For most single-screen games, the non-artwork view is listed as "SCREEN 0 STANDARD ..." plus the orientation of the game, 3:4 or 4:3. Setting the ini value to "Screen 0", MAME will pull the first view that matches that text string and use that, and you should have what you are looking for.

For things like Dual-Screen games, you would need to specify something different, if you want both screens to appear in the snapshot.

Attached is a screenshot I just took of Space Invaders. Normal settings, you will get this with the green overlay. With the setting above, just a B&W snap.

Also... the feature of turning artwork layers on/off just came back. Next artwork release will show this off. Throughout the year, all existing artwork will be updated to use the updated feature again.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Why can't 'hide romless machines from available list' work in MAMEUI? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#388197 - 10/15/20 03:12 AM

Thanks Mr. Do!

That clarifies a few things for me. Helps to know how things actually work sometimes if you want to use them properly...

Good luck catching up with all the new changes! Sounds like Vas has a few more coming...

Keep at it man, we all really APPRECIATE what you & all the others do for the project!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Reynard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why can't 'hide romless machines from available list' work in MAMEUI? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#388204 - 10/16/20 09:44 AM

Thank you for the info, that definitely clears a few things up.

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert 
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 918