MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

What controller are you using?
#388074 - 10/03/20 12:42 AM

What controllers are you guys using with MAME that are currently available? I used to use the Gravis Aftershock, which was my all-time favorite, but they haven't been available for years. Then a wired Xbox controller, Microsoft not a knockoff, also not available for years. Recently a PowerA wired Xbox360 controller, worked great but now need to replace it and it also is no longer available. Was going to try a PowerA Xbox One controller this time. Anyone have any other recommendations?

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: What controller are you using? new [Re: jibmums]
#388077 - 10/03/20 09:06 AM

I have a USB arcade stick from OzStick (a product they don't seem to sell anymore by the looks of it). Its got a genuine arcade joystick and 9 genuine arcade push-buttons (a 2x3 grid so I have enough buttons for Street Fighter 2 and then some other buttons at the top for coin/start.

For emulation where I want a controller rather than a keyboard or a joystick (including N64 games where an analog stick is a must to properly enjoy those games), I have a Rock Candy branded transparent pink knock-off wired XBOX 360 controller.

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

#388078 - 10/03/20 01:16 PM

Although this probably doesn't really answers your question (since it probably doesn't fit the formal definition of a 'controller'), but I bought an X-Arcade Tankstick back in 2007 and love it. Not sure if that is the right fit for the 'MESS' side of things, but for arcade games I think it's perfect. Although I have to admit I haven't used it in years, in my current place I simply have no spare room (other than in storage) to put it.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#388079 - 10/03/20 02:15 PM

I take emulation serious.... While I do have a large collection of consoles and retro computers (over 50) I usually use emulation.

I have two X-Arcades. One of them had the joysticks replaced with Dominux-8's from Groovy Game Gear with red ball top handles, and are set at 4-way for the Pac-Man and Donkey Kong type games that do not feel right with 8-way sticks. I also replaced the buttons in the same on with real leaf switch buttons, as I do not like hearing clicks while playing Space Invaders and Asteroids.

I have a ton of USB adapters to use whichever console controller I feel like using, but really only use the original BlissBox and the BlissBox 4-play.

I have a Star Wars yoke that will work for many analog games like Paperboy and Daytona USA that I got on Kickstarter from Glens Retro Show that will be here very soon, as well as a Tron joystick and spinner, and yet another trackball.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#388114 - 10/07/20 02:12 AM

> What controllers are you guys using with MAME that are currently available? I used to
> use the Gravis Aftershock, which was my all-time favorite, but they haven't been
> available for years. Then a wired Xbox controller, Microsoft not a knockoff, also not
> available for years. Recently a PowerA wired Xbox360 controller, worked great but now
> need to replace it and it also is no longer available. Was going to try a PowerA Xbox
> One controller this time. Anyone have any other recommendations?

I'm still using my wired XBox 360 controllers and I still think the dpad is terrible. It's too easy to hit a diagonal by mistake and get stuck on a ladder in Burger Time or Bagman for example. I prefer the Playstation style D-Pad.

Many years ago I bought a cheap gamepad and made a USB interface out of it so I can use my old Atari standard joysticks from the 80s. It's wrapped in electrical tape and looks like something a cat might throw up but it works really well, I soldered where the contacts meet and wired up a female DB9 connector, it's not hard to do.

S

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#388170 - 10/13/20 10:46 AM

> What controllers are you guys using with MAME that are currently available? I used to
> use the Gravis Aftershock, which was my all-time favorite, but they haven't been
> available for years. Then a wired Xbox controller, Microsoft not a knockoff, also not
> available for years. Recently a PowerA wired Xbox360 controller, worked great but now
> need to replace it and it also is no longer available. Was going to try a PowerA Xbox
> One controller this time. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Nothing currently available as they haven't been on the shelf since the PS2 was still for sale...

My setup has two Logitech Dual Actions from the mid-2000s, they are basically PlayStation 1 DualShock clones. Also picked up a RumblePad 2 which is the later version of the same controller but with rumble support (which I have absolutely no interest in).

I have replaced the conductive rubber pads on the D-pad and buttons and on both Dual Action controllers at least twice or three times - Logitech don't offer repairs like that so I just cut up repro NES D-pad rubber pads to fit, they cost next to nothing on eBay etc.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#388171 - 10/13/20 01:05 PM

I use an X-Arcade controller, the classic model.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

luke725
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/10/21
Send PM

Re: What controller are you using? new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#389506 - 01/10/21 01:28 PM

I use a Nintendo Switch controller. Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, works great, steam maps my buttons like Nintendo, and it's really comfortable.

I like to play free roms and my most favorite game is pokemon x.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#389507 - 01/10/21 03:41 PM

I use an X-Arcade from Xgaming. I have the classic model with no spinner, just dual sticks with 12 buttons per player. So much fun than using a videogame's gamepad.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 369 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 698