MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Mame and Freesync
#388023 - 09/29/20 03:09 AM

Main 27" monitor of a dual setup finally giving up the ghost allowing me to get the new Samsung 32" G5. I also now have an AMD GPU to do Freesync.

Anyone else using Freesync + MAME? Presumably we can just let MAME output w/out any refresh or triplebuffer / vsync settings. Does the monitor itself need to be in a certain mode or are they typically smart enough to handle the input?

Looking forward to native refresh rates.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

RetroAndy70
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/20/20
Send PM

Re: Mame and Freesync new [Re: John IV]
#388024 - 09/29/20 09:50 AM

Hi John,

Exactly as you say. Make sure Vsync, Trible-buffer etc. is off in Mame, make sure Freesync is enabled in Windows and that's it. (I have an Nvidia card and set it via the Nvidia control panel. I imagine AMD has similar). The monitor doesn't need anything setting, it just reacts to whatever your PC outputs.

I have silky-smooth scrolling with zero input lag, and no tearing or sound skipping. Beautiful. You're gonna LOVE it.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: Mame and Freesync new [Re: RetroAndy70]
#388091 - 10/04/20 07:06 AM

Thanks, got the Samsung G5 32 all set up via DisplayPort and the Freesync + MAME is very nifty as hoped. The Radeon software determined a compatible monitor was attached to the GPU and toggled it on. You can also force it on via the on screen menu for the monitor.

Disabled the triplebuffer and refresh options I had been using for decades and just output the raw signal. First few games tried were Mortal Kombat, Space Invaders DX, and 19xx. They have large scrolling elements, particularly spacedx's banner crawl and they were all butter smooth, .

Certainly improves visuals, would recommend.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

RetroAndy70
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/20/20
Send PM

Re: Mame and Freesync new [Re: John IV]
#388094 - 10/04/20 10:31 PM

See? I just KNEW you'd love it!

To be honest, anyone not emulating with Free/Gsync is missing out on so much. It's not just visuals, input/timing is also screwed if the sync is not cycle accurate.

The difference really is night and day.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 864