MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Two Player Co-op Ms. Pacman in the Arcades?
#387980 - 09/25/20 04:11 AM

In a youtube video I just watched someone in the comments mentioned playing a two-player co-op version of Ms. Pacman in the mid 80s in the arcade- apparently released by Midway and Atari. I don't remember any such version from back then, but given there are prototypes that may have been tested at only a few locations then pulled, who knows? Or maybe it exists and is in MAME already? Anyway here's what he said:

Quote:

I played the Midway-Atari versions of Ms. Pac Man in the arcades back in the mid-1980s, because it was a special cabinet made for two players to play simultaneously. It was my favorite version of Ms pac man, because it had that experience with playing co-op at the mall!

and

Quote:

it was in the arcade, but not the official Namco cabinet. It also wasn’t the play choice 10, It was a either a mod or clone arcade that was developed by Midway-Atari Games, they did clones of pac man games. They just used the pac man license through the 1980s, before Namco stopped allowing them to make multiple versions of Pac Man.

Does anyone remember such a version? I know some Tengen console versions had this co-op so it isn't a stretch that Atari might have teamed up with Midway to make an arcade port, but I've never seen one. If it is in MAME right now and I missed it, which romset is it? Thanks.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Two Player Co-op Ms. Pacman in the Arcades? new [Re: Qun Mang]
#387981 - 09/25/20 05:07 AM

Not in MAME. More info here:

https://robbie.mameworld.info/mspactwn.htm

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: Two Player Co-op Ms. Pacman in the Arcades? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#387983 - 09/25/20 06:07 AM

> Not in MAME. More info here:
>
> https://robbie.mameworld.info/mspactwn.htm

Ah, so one does exist. Not exactly a Midway/Atari release as he said, but maybe his memory is fuzzy on the details. I'll see what he says. Thanks.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#387991 - 09/26/20 03:09 AM

As Mr. Do stated, Mame does not have this yet. However there is a hacked version of it for the Atari 7800 that is pretty neat. I was just playing it earlier this week. It is spot on as what the description says. I played a round or two, and it was pretty fun.

IMO, There is a much more fun version of a 2 player Pac-Man with both players playing simultaneously that is NEAR arcade perfect. It was made for the Amiga years ago, and truth be told, it was one of the main reasons I sold my Atari ST to get an Amiga. It is called Footman. I looked around on the web, and I can not find a 2 player screenshot, but I can tell you it is FANTASTIC. Instead of Ms. Pac-Man, 1 player is the traditional yellow, and the other is green. The Amiga had stereo sound, and one of the coolest things they did was make each players dot sounds come from separate speakers. It also has other cool features like a maze editor (very easy to use) to create your own mazes, a classic (the version you want) and updated (overhead view), and it holds the top EIGHTY high scores! One down side, is there is a new maze and maze color each round. Fun, but I would like to have control of the maze color. Check it out. You will NOT be disappointed.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: Two Player Co-op Ms. Pacman in the Arcades? new [Re: sirscotty]
#387993 - 09/26/20 06:50 AM

So it turns out it wasn't the one Mr. Do suggested. He still says it was
Quote:

the Midway Atari version which was a co-op variation of the original game.

so anyone's guess what he actually played. The one 7800 version you mention could only work if the arcade had a hacked console playing the hacked game. Not out of the realm of possibilities mind you.

I will definitely look at that Footman game too, thanks.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#387995 - 09/26/20 06:33 PM

> > Not in MAME. More info here:
> >
> > https://robbie.mameworld.info/mspactwn.htm
>
> Ah, so one does exist. Not exactly a Midway/Atari release as he said, but maybe his
> memory is fuzzy on the details. I'll see what he says. Thanks.

Someone was working on a recreation of this in 2015:
http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/2015/03/ms-pac-man-twin-recreation.html

However, I don't know if he hacked together a title screen, or the massive game logic changes required, or if he was just photoshopping mazes together. I don't think HBMAME has it either...

- Stiletto

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Send PM

#387996 - 09/26/20 06:45 PM Attachment: twin screen 1.jpg 232 KB (0 downloads)

Ms. Pac-Man twin is a homebrew for the 7800. It is a simulation of the arcade game.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by sirscotty (09/26/20 06:47 PM)

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Send PM

#387997 - 09/26/20 06:57 PM Attachment: twin title.jpg 61 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

#387999 - 09/26/20 07:37 PM

> Ms. Pac-Man twin is a homebrew for the 7800. It is a simulation of the arcade game.

So this is a recreation on the 7800 of the Susilu arcade hack/bootleg? It also sounds like it's relatively recent around 2015 so it definitely couldn't be what he played. Nice to know though of the existence of these hacks even if it doesn't solve that mystery. Assuming he isn't just trolling, it would have to have been a prototype tested in his local arcade if it was, as he said, a joint venture between Midway and Atari. Both Midway's earlier working with GCC on the original game and Tengen's later release of the NES and Genesis games with co-op option lends credence to this partnership.

Edited by Qun Mang (09/26/20 07:57 PM)

Superjustinbros
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/26/16
Send PM

#388001 - 09/26/20 11:46 PM

I personally wouldn't call Foot Man anywhere close to arcade perfect even if it plays well and looks fun. The aspect ratio of the mazes are different, the ghost AI isn't a match with the original Namco/GCC games and a lot of the mazes reject many of the traditions and design elements of the original arcade mazes by featuring sharp turns, dead ends, and asymmetry among other things.

Something that hits closer to perfect would probably be Champ Ms. Pac-Em on DOS, it has an editor that lets you make arcade-style mazes but no simultaneous multiplayer and like many 80's/90's clones/homebrews the ghost AI doesn't match.

As for the images on that Blogspot, they're mockups I made years ago. They partially served to be what ignited the 7800 conversion/ports when I told people on Atariage about it but otherwise I personally never advanced any further beyond those images cause I don't know a thing about coding or hacking.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Two Player Co-op Ms. Pacman in the Arcades? *edit* new [Re: Superjustinbros]
#388019 - 09/28/20 09:32 AM

Stiletto mentioned your work if you didn't see his post earlier.

>I thought Robbie might have had a chance to find that pcb while he was residing there in
> the region, but not to be.

A Ms. Pac-Man Twin pcb was finally found in late 2020 and finally supported in MAME
in February 2021.

As before: "Sometimes things work out unexpectedly...and may finally be working in MAME although it might take some luck involved.

Edited by gregf (02/17/21 10:25 PM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#389933 - 02/17/21 10:44 PM

> If it is in MAME right now and I missed it,

It was recently supported in current MAME source code for those that have computers that can compile their own builds. It won't be official until .229 is officially released.

Ms PacMan Twin (Susilu, 1992/1993) now in MAME - WOW!
02/16/21

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh...part=1&vc=1

> which romset is it?

It will be this unless rom name is changed sometime in the future.

GAME( 1992, mspactwin, 0, mspactwin, mspactwin, mspactwin_state, init_mspactwin, ROT90, "SUSILU", "Ms PacMan Twin (Argentina)", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE )

Edited by gregf (02/19/21 06:41 AM)

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

#389940 - 02/18/21 05:07 AM

2-player Pac-Man in HBMAME:

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh...part=1&vc=1

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Two Player Co-op Ms. Pacman in the Arcades? new [Re: gregf]
#389941 - 02/18/21 06:09 AM

Deleted

Edited by sirscotty (02/20/21 06:55 PM)

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

#389946 - 02/19/21 04:34 AM

{First part retracted}

In our conversation he said he looked at and rejected this Susilo hack as being what he remembered.

Edited by Qun Mang (02/20/21 01:48 AM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#389947 - 02/19/21 06:52 AM

>Sounds exactly like the guy I was talking about-
>you must have found that video (unless he said the exact same thing in another video- if so
> I will have to lean toward him being a troll).

My bad. I messed up my edit and the top part was from your post from last year.
I was adding in the rom name since the real Ms Pac Twin was recently added days ago.

> In our conversation he said he looked at and rejected this Susilo hack as being what he
> remembered.

The poster was probably mis-remembering if the Ms Pac Twin game was not what the poster meant.

At this time with actual Ms Pac Twin game now supported, it probably doesn't matter.
The main thing is Robbie is a happy camper now that he was able to get Ms Pac Twin game
supported.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

#389953 - 02/20/21 01:47 AM

>
> My bad. I messed up my edit and the top part was from your post from last year.
> I was adding in the rom name since the real Ms Pac Twin was recently added days ago.
>

That would explain why it sounded really familiar.

>
> > In our conversation he said he looked at and rejected this Susilo hack as being
> what he
> > remembered.
>
> The poster was probably mis-remembering if the Ms Pac Twin game was not what the
> poster meant.
>
> At this time with actual Ms Pac Twin game now supported, it probably doesn't matter.
> The main thing is Robbie is a happy camper now that he was able to get Ms Pac Twin
> game
> supported.

I agree- it's nice to see this supported even if for myself I will never get a second player to ever play a two player game of this.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2698