MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JamesTCatHudson
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/13/20
Send PM

Somewhat First Timer here, Tokusatsu Nut, and Hope to be with mame for Long Haul
#387855 - 09/13/20 02:28 AM

Salutations and This is somewhat of a first time post here. I go by JamesTCat as a personal username on a webcomic's forums I tend to frequent, and I will post webcomic's name alongside the fan work I am working on with said webcomic if everyone's in for the inane haul.

Anyways, A feature I hope to see implemented someday is the feature of having Mame automatically set the Game & Watch machine's time so you don't have to make it accurate every time you play the Game & Watch machines on Mame.

Also, I would like to see the software select prompt/bios without having to select software each and every time if to simply play custom software on MAME's Consoles and Handhelds.

Anyways, I will be keeping up with everything. I hope to Abide by the Rules and to treat everybody as if they were me. I am hoping to buy a most powerful and massive System76 machine possible to then make into my MAME Machine proper.

Could possibly do some donations to The Dumping Union after buying well beyond 50 thousand dollars worth in hardware and Mame accessories. Don't bite me just yet, I have yet to do something stupid or at the very least Inane.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Somewhat First Timer here, Tokusatsu Nut, and Hope to be with mame for Long Haul new [Re: JamesTCatHudson]
#387857 - 09/13/20 02:59 AM

> Salutations and This is somewhat of a first time post here. I go by JamesTCat as a
> personal username on a webcomic's forums I tend to frequent, and I will post
> webcomic's name alongside the fan work I am working on with said webcomic if
> everyone's in for the inane haul.

Welcome to the forum!!

> Anyways, A feature I hope to see implemented someday is the feature of having Mame
> automatically set the Game & Watch machine's time so you don't have to make it
> accurate every time you play the Game & Watch machines on Mame.

MAME is accurately emulating the machine like it works... a real G&W never turns off, until the battery dies. When the battery dies, and you replace it, you have to set the time again.

Instead of simply using ESC to end the game, you can create a save state [Shift+F7], then load that next time playing the game. Nevermind... that won't work either, as it will be whatever time it was when you last played the game. We would need something to where MAME displays the time based on the system time on the end user machine. Maybe someone can come up with a LUA script for that later... that would be a cool add-on. Moving on...

> Also, I would like to see the software select prompt/bios without having to select
> software each and every time if to simply play custom software on MAME's Consoles and
> Handhelds.

This can be done today on the command line... after the system, define the type of media, and the location of the file. Example below is running the patched color version of SM2 Deluxe:

mame gameboy -cart c:\patched\sml2dlx.gbc

> Anyways, I will be keeping up with everything. I hope to Abide by the Rules and to
> treat everybody as if they were me. I am hoping to buy a most powerful and massive
> System76 machine possible to then make into my MAME Machine proper.

Appreciate the positive attitude. Hope you enjoy your time here!!

> Could possibly do some donations to The Dumping Union after buying well beyond 50
> thousand dollars worth in hardware and Mame accessories. Don't bite me just yet, I
> have yet to do something stupid or at the very least Inane.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

JamesTCatHudson
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/13/20
Send PM

Re: Somewhat First Timer here, Tokusatsu Nut, and Hope to be with mame for Long Haul new [Re: Mr. Do]
#387858 - 09/13/20 03:17 AM

Thanks Mr. Do! Though I favourite the system itself in the software select list, It will have to do until there is a feature where you can favourite the specific custom software files at will where it will show up in the menu as well as the software in question.

But yeah, In case I need to set my alarm and I don't mind the Game & Watch at the moment being the glorified screensaver (and possible burn-in) then yeah, I'm better off setting the time to a random point and simply playing the game until the Game & Watch specific plugin for automatically setting the time is possible.

As for the Favourite Tokusatsu series, that would be Super Sentai and Power Rangers. (Yes, complete with the Ups and Downs and All-arounds.) More Specifically, I am interested in the Gokaiger Team as with the Ranger Key System they can be like the Super Sentai equivalent of a "Swiss Army Knife Style" Sentai Team.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: G & W lua script time feature new [Re: Mr. Do]
#387859 - 09/13/20 07:49 AM

>> Anyways, A feature I hope to see implemented someday is the feature of having Mame
>> automatically set the Game & Watch machine's time so you don't have to make it
>> accurate every time you play the Game & Watch machines on Mame.

>MAME is accurately emulating the machine like it works... a real G&W never turns off,
>until the battery dies. When the battery dies, and you replace it, you have to set the
>time again.

>Instead of simply using ESC to end the game, you can create a save state [Shift+F7], then
>load that next time playing the game. Nevermind... that won't work either, as it will be
>whatever time it was when you last played the game. We would need something to where MAME
>displays the time based on the system time on the end user machine. Maybe someone can
>come up with a LUA script for that later... that would be a cool add-on. Moving on...

And I thought you would have been already using this lua script for the Snoopy table top game already.

Similar topic was discussed on Bannister's prior September. I don't know if it will be exactly what you are looking for, but it comes close imo. It was started by notknown with carl, hap responding along the way. One might have to create different cheat scripts for the feature since it might depend what type of G&W hardware game the script is for.

--
notknown

09/08/19

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115847#Post115847

I also wanted to weigh in on suggestions. For instance, if it's ever possible, like how we have cheats for these games just for fun purposes of modifying game mechanics, if it's possible for mame to pull system time into the emulator and sync the G&W clocks to it, would be an awesome feature to add to the cheat and game mechanics.

crazyc 09/10/19
https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115871#Post115871

Here's a lua cheat that works with the change just pushed for zelda that sets the clock. Put it in "cheat/gnw_zelda.json" and run mame with "-plugin cheat" and look in Plugin Options/Cheats.

crazyc 09/10/19
https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115880#Post115880

You need to get

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mamede.../cheat/init.lua

notknown 09/11/19
https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115888#Post115888

Oh wow that's awesome it works!
I do have some feedback though. The cheat set it to 12 pm instead of am, and the alarm didn't work because of this I'm assuming.

Is there a way to make the cheat toggle activated to make sure the time is synced at all times? The main issue I have is that since it's emulation the timing might not be spot on and drop out of sync. That's the biggest issue I have with the clock in these G&W emulations.

I might try to mess with the script myself but I never messed with lua before.

crazyc 09/11/19

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115893#Post115893

Do you mean noon or midnight? The G&W clock seems to have 12 am as midnight and 12 pm as noon which how the cheat works (or at least should).

Change "on" to "run" and it'll reset the clock every frame. Does the clock drift that quickly though?

hap 09/11/19
https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115894#Post115894

G&W clock is fine with the games I tried it on, even after a few playing sessions. It will go out of sync if you play with savestates or press fastforward(INS key), but that is obvious.

notknown 09/11/19

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115897#Post115897

So I tested the clock script at 12 am (midnight) and it made it set to 12pm. Stranger yet, I tried cycling through time setting mode ( alarm + time) and it actually was stuck on pm for like 2 cycles until it hit am instead.

It's probably why the alarm didn't work.

As for time drifting, I know emulation and accuracy is important but the fact that emulation can sometimes drift from 100% correct timing is what concerns me about the clock drifting. It's why I the idea to sync the clock is so nice to make the clock actually functional. That and any pauses in the emulation itself.

Edit: It is set to pm regardless of wheter it's am or pm on the system, but again, when entering time change mode, it cycles through pm twice before jumping to am at 12, and then it's fixed.

More posts on page 331 with notknown eventually getting something of what he wanted to work with G&W hardware and time when running emulation in MAME.

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115847&page=331

Edited by gregf (09/13/20 07:59 AM)

crazyc
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/23/16
Send PM

Re: G & W lua script time feature new [Re: gregf]
#387870 - 09/14/20 02:57 AM

The gnw zelda clock set "cheat" is in the latest cheat collection http://www.mamecheat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12644 . The others are probably very similar if not identical.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: G & W lua script time feature new [Re: crazyc]
#387872 - 09/14/20 04:27 AM

>The gnw zelda clock set "cheat" is in the latest cheat collection

Expect a thanks from Mr. Do and company later. I recall there was some discussion on Bannister's, but wasn't sure how long ago.

>The others are probably very similar if not identical.

I am guessing a question might appear later with G&W tabletop version in case cheat requires a bit more work involved.

As for recent Votrax SC-01 updates, reading about Q Bert speech now much improved will make .225 a great update.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 344 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 440