MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SpiDoL
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/05/14
Send PM

Legality of my Sonic The Hedgehog archive *DELETED*
#387734 - 09/03/20 10:11 PM

Post deleted by SpiDoL

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Legality of my Sonic The Hedgehog archive new [Re: SpiDoL]
#387736 - 09/03/20 10:51 PM

> So even though everything in the archive was downloaded, I tried to be as moral and
> legit about it as possible. Do you think I'll be safe and sound with this setup. Or
> should I restructure the archive to make it 100% legal?
>

It seems that for over six years now, you have had this internal struggle about what is and is not legal with arcade roms, and are still fighting this battle today.

If you want the "real legal" terms of dumping ROMS... here you go (IANAL, so experts here, correct me if I err):

1) When you dump rom data from a source, whether it be from an arcade PCB, a Nintendo cartridge, a PS4 disc, etc., and you own this source, you are legally allowed to keep that copy digitally, and use it to restore "that same source" if eventually damaged.

2) That's it.

Any other situation, it's based on your internal moral compass on how you proceed.

If you are looking for "justification" of how you have acquired the games you are playing, on a public internet forum, then you are going about this all wrong, as that is the last place you want to get justification from (not a knock against MW, just the internet in general).

If you truly are struggling internally with this dilemma after all this time, then I suggest you speak with a therapist, psychologist, or other professional who can help guide you in the correct direction about how you really feel here.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Rotwang
Life is too short to be little...
Reged: 03/21/17
Send PM

Rules were meant to be broken new [Re: SpiDoL]
#387737 - 09/03/20 11:39 PM

SpiDoL
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/05/14
Send PM

Re: Legality of my Sonic The Hedgehog archive new [Re: Mr. Do]
#387829 - 09/11/20 08:31 PM

Just wanted to pop back in here and say that I successfully rebuilt my entire Sonic archive and made sure it was 100% legal. The games were all bought and ripped from SEGA Genesis Classic Collection Gold Edition, the movie and TV show were bought and ripped from the official DVDs, and the music and comic books were bought and downloaded from iTunes and Comixology respectively.

You were right all along. Illegal downloading's not worth it. It feels SO much better when you dump everything from your own legit copies, and from now on that's how I'm gonna do it every time. Thank You.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#387838 - 09/12/20 01:31 PM

> You were right all along. Illegal downloading's not worth it. It feels SO much better
> when you dump everything from your own legit copies, and from now on that's how I'm
> gonna do it every time. Thank You.

Nobody ever said that illegal downloading is "not worth it" other than you. Don't attribute your own serious mental illness and neuroses to anyone but yourself. You need professional help.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#387846 - 09/12/20 05:19 PM

> Just wanted to pop back in here and say that I successfully rebuilt my entire Sonic
> archive and made sure it was 100% legal. The games were all bought and ripped from
> SEGA Genesis Classic Collection Gold Edition, the movie and TV show were bought and
> ripped from the official DVDs, and the music and comic books were bought and
> downloaded from iTunes and Comixology respectively.
>
> You were right all along. Illegal downloading's not worth it. It feels SO much better
> when you dump everything from your own legit copies, and from now on that's how I'm
> gonna do it every time. Thank You.

If you are looking for approval just to feel better with yourself, you are directing at the wrong place and crowd. Anyway, we will see you next year when you declare "Mortal Kombat" "Tekken" "Street Fighter" "Sonic" any other series your "all time favorite" asking the very same questions, ignoring the replies and bragging your ignorance while breaking forum rules in the process. Your moral is as unstable as your tastes.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 316 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 532