View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Future saving of new games....
#387625 - 08/27/20 07:24 PM

I've got a question for the smart people here, as some of you may know I collect old game consoles.

I have 17 or 18 different consoles and 3000 to 4000 different games. Starting with the arcadia 2001, Atari 2600, all the way up to the Xbox one, ps3.

My question is this, on the newer platforms is it really worth collecting the games discs?

I understand that the new game disc no longer actually contain the games anymore.
So by saving discs is it actually a wasted effort? Without the downloaded game image the disc is worthless correct?

If so I'll go back to spending money on old games only.

Only here to annoy...

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Future saving of new games.... new [Re: Renegade]
#387631 - 08/28/20 04:10 AM

> I've got a question for the smart people here, as some of you may know I collect old
> game consoles.
>
> I have 17 or 18 different consoles and 3000 to 4000 different games. Starting with
> the arcadia 2001, Atari 2600, all the way up to the Xbox one, ps3.
>
> My question is this, on the newer platforms is it really worth collecting the games
> discs?
>
> I understand that the new game disc no longer actually contain the games anymore.
> So by saving discs is it actually a wasted effort? Without the downloaded game image
> the disc is worthless correct?
>
> If so I'll go back to spending money on old games only.

Definitely not wasted effort... think of the disc as the "older/original rom" version of the game. If you insert the disc into a system not connected to a network, the game should still play.

Future updates are like REV1, REV2, etc.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Future saving of new games.... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#387633 - 08/28/20 04:50 AM

> If you insert the disc into a system not connected to a network, the
> game should still play.

Sadly, for a lot of games this isn’t true. A prominent example is Civilization V for PC/Mac – it will install the version from the disc, but it won’t let you play until you connect to Steam and update it to the latest version. It allows you to play without a network connection after the initial update, but you can’t actually play the version from the disc, and you can’t play without connecting the first time.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Future saving of new games.... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#387634 - 08/28/20 04:52 AM

> > I've got a question for the smart people here, as some of you may know I collect
> old
> > game consoles.
> >
> > I have 17 or 18 different consoles and 3000 to 4000 different games. Starting with
> > the arcadia 2001, Atari 2600, all the way up to the Xbox one, ps3.
> >
> > My question is this, on the newer platforms is it really worth collecting the games
> > discs?
> >
> > I understand that the new game disc no longer actually contain the games anymore.
> > So by saving discs is it actually a wasted effort? Without the downloaded game
> image
> > the disc is worthless correct?
> >
> > If so I'll go back to spending money on old games only.
>
>
> Definitely not wasted effort... think of the disc as the "older/original rom" version
> of the game. If you insert the disc into a system not connected to a network, the
> game should still play.
>
> Future updates are like REV1, REV2, etc.

I think he means that useless junk where the disk only contains a downloading program and a key.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

Re: Future saving of new games.... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#387635 - 08/28/20 05:29 AM

> Sadly, for a lot of games this isn’t true. A prominent example is Civilization V for
> PC/Mac – it will install the version from the disc, but it won’t let you play until
> you connect to Steam and update it to the latest version. It allows you to play
> without a network connection after the initial update, but you can’t actually play
> the version from the disc, and you can’t play without connecting the first time.

That is why I **HATE** things like Steam and the other electronic resources. Prime example. Nintendo's Wii Ware shop. Gone. If your Wii breaks, and you get another one, all your games are gone. Nintendo got your money, they don't care. Sure, you can find them online, but there are a lot of people that do the right thing, and invest good money in these games, and deserve to be able to show them to their grand kids 30 years from now.

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/25/19
Loc: Virginia
Send PM

Re: Future saving of new games.... new [Re: sirscotty]
#387638 - 08/28/20 06:16 AM

> > Sadly, for a lot of games this isn’t true. A prominent example is Civilization V
> for
> > PC/Mac – it will install the version from the disc, but it won’t let you play until
> > you connect to Steam and update it to the latest version. It allows you to play
> > without a network connection after the initial update, but you can’t actually play
> > the version from the disc, and you can’t play without connecting the first time.
>
> That is why I **HATE** things like Steam and the other electronic resources. Prime
> example. Nintendo's Wii Ware shop. Gone. If your Wii breaks, and you get another one,
> all your games are gone. Nintendo got your money, they don't care. Sure, you can find
> them online, but there are a lot of people that do the right thing, and invest good
> money in these games, and deserve to be able to show them to their grand kids 30
> years from now.

I was gifted a Wii several years before it went out of support, and I'm glad I never purchased anything from the Wii Ware shop. Just before N* dropped full support of the Wii, I was able to download a ton of free demo games from the ware shop to an SD card. Ever since then, my Wii won't connect to the shop and I'm stuck with what I have, other than buying physical disks from second-hand stores. Basically, over the course of 3 years, my Wii has become obsolete and I cannot get ANY content for it going forward, including old content that was once offered online.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Future saving of new games.... new [Re: Robbbert]
#387639 - 08/28/20 06:23 AM

Exactly, so if buying,say, Grand Theft Auto 5 for Xbox 1 I'm buying nothing more than a disc with a download link and key on it.

So am I understanding this correctly then?

I see no reason to collect the "games" if in fact they're nothing more than links and keys.

I'll spend the money on other actual game console games.

Only here to annoy...

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

Re: Future saving of new games.... new [Re: Renegade]
#387641 - 08/28/20 09:55 AM

> Exactly, so if buying,say, Grand Theft Auto 5 for Xbox 1 I'm buying nothing more
> than a disc with a download link and key on it.
>
>
> So am I understanding this correctly then?
>
> I see no reason to collect the "games" if in fact they're nothing more than links
> and keys.
>
>
> I'll spend the money on other actual game console games.

Well, I have never purchased a game that requires the internet to function in any fashion. Spend your money on something real.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

#387644 - 08/28/20 02:10 PM

Oh man, I'm so happy to only play old games.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#387646 - 08/28/20 02:22 PM

> > Exactly, so if buying,say, Grand Theft Auto 5 for Xbox 1 I'm buying nothing more
> > than a disc with a download link and key on it.
> >
> >
> > So am I understanding this correctly then?
> >
> > I see no reason to collect the "games" if in fact they're nothing more than links
> > and keys.
> >
> >
> > I'll spend the money on other actual game console games.
>
> Well, I have never purchased a game that requires the internet to function in any
> fashion. Spend your money on something real.

ok boomer

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

Re: Future saving of new games.... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#387648 - 08/28/20 02:36 PM

>
> ok boomer

and proud of it.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Future saving of new games.... new [Re: Moochieone]
#387659 - 08/29/20 02:44 AM

> I was gifted a Wii several years before it went out of support, and I'm glad I never
> purchased anything from the Wii Ware shop. Just before N* dropped full support of the
> Wii, I was able to download a ton of free demo games from the ware shop to an SD
> card. Ever since then, my Wii won't connect to the shop and I'm stuck with what I
> have, other than buying physical disks from second-hand stores. Basically, over the
> course of 3 years, my Wii has become obsolete and I cannot get ANY content for it
> going forward, including old content that was once offered online.

And even then, getting those second-hand discs will become harder when collecflation makes them jump to $89 each (AAA titles) just like what happened with the GameCube. Speaking of which, my local Cash Converters recently received a GameCube (no box), they immediately stripped everything from it and put a $169 price tag on the now-loose console with no games or controllers - they actually had 2 controllers with it plus Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex (and probably others but they weren't on display) but of course Crash was sold separately for $49 and the controllers sold separately again! Same store also has a single N64 controller in the window with an $89 price tag!!!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 352 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 452