MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Moving, not dead. See you when I see you. (nt)
#387289 - 07/28/20 09:38 PM

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Godspeed [NT] new [Re: TriggerFin]
#387295 - 07/29/20 03:17 AM Attachment: st peach.jpg 216 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Hoping all goes well! new [Re: TriggerFin]
#387296 - 07/29/20 05:24 AM

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Moving, not dead. See you when I see you. (nt) new [Re: TriggerFin]
#387343 - 08/01/20 11:33 AM

Arrived. Cell good. Net bad. PC still in box. Acre of trees in Pennsylvania.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

#387344 - 08/01/20 12:41 PM

> Arrived. Cell good. Net bad. PC still in box. Acre of trees in Pennsylvania.

Hope you're in some happy digs Tfin!

Made a move myself a while ago and am now in the middle of the Pacific Ocean (but on land). Remember that far-off island where we found the Mooshrooms? Pretty similar thing. I've built my house on the flanks of two volcanos. And oddly, I have gigabit fiber here, which was just a pipedream when I lived in LA.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Moving, not dead. See you when I see you. (nt) new [Re: jeremymtc]
#387346 - 08/01/20 07:46 PM

☺Nice. I wouldn't know how to go about living in a place like that, with 3... service industry workers in the household.

Looking back at my post, I need to amend: "cell" as in cellular, not as in prison.

House needs things, but at least I'm out of the city and back in the woods. Also, 7 miles from Pocono Raceway, for what that's worth.

Gigabit exists within half a mile, but everyone who isn't "professional distancing" (AT&T especially is just closed) said they don't come out here. I will switch as soon as I can find anything better.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#387348 - 08/02/20 02:33 AM

Well, don’t fall for the satellite internet, is a complete scam. I tried it once when living way out... cancelled after the first day because was literally worthless.

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/25/19
Loc: Virginia
Send PM

Re: Moving, not dead. See you when I see you. (nt) new [Re: GatKong]
#387349 - 08/02/20 05:12 AM

I have to concur. Based on my personal experience, and those that live all around us, you would be better off going with dialup over satellite internet. I had to sign a 3-year contract with them, and after 1.5 years, they offered me a modem/technology upgrade for no charge as long as I signed another 3-year contract. They had to come out to our property every 5 months to re-align the dish when I complained our speeds would drop below dialup speeds. Our dish was right next to the DirecTV dish, and the DirecTV dish NEVER needed re-alignment the entire time we had the internet service. The straw that broke the camel's back was when they "arbitrarily" decided to change the FAP (Fair Access Policy) with little warning amid our current contract. Fortunately, a cable company had done a survey several months prior to the end of our satellite contract, and installed cable lines. So, a week before my contract expired, I had them turn on the cable internet, and once the satellite contract expired, I quickly cancelled the service. When they asked how they could keep me as a customer, I requested that I be grandfathered into the old FAP policy, and, without a pause, told me that it was not possible and to have a "nice day".

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Moving, not dead. See you when I see you. (nt) new [Re: GatKong]
#387352 - 08/02/20 06:16 PM

Yes. That was #1, no satellite internet (at least until one of the new sky-polluters is available and tested). We ended up with slow DSL and Dish for TV. I just now ran a wire to where my PC will be, when I have a desk (expected Friday).

Today I get curtains, tomorrow I get curtain rods, Thursday I get TV stand, a week after that I get TV.
Two-day shipping indeed.

I considered attaching a picture of our front forest (not really a thing), but I don't see how to do that when all I have is this phone.🤔

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Moving, not dead. See you when I see you. (nt) new [Re: Moochieone]
#387355 - 08/03/20 12:31 AM

> I have to concur. Based on my personal experience, and those that live all around us,
> you would be better off going with dialup over satellite internet. I had to sign a
> 3-year contract with them, and after 1.5 years, they offered me a modem/technology
> upgrade for no charge as long as I signed another 3-year contract. They had to come
> out to our property every 5 months to re-align the dish when I complained our speeds
> would drop below dialup speeds. Our dish was right next to the DirecTV dish, and the
> DirecTV dish NEVER needed re-alignment the entire time we had the internet service.
> The straw that broke the camel's back was when they "arbitrarily" decided to change
> the FAP (Fair Access Policy) with little warning amid our current contract.
> Fortunately, a cable company had done a survey several months prior to the end of our
> satellite contract, and installed cable lines. So, a week before my contract expired,
> I had them turn on the cable internet, and once the satellite contract expired, I
> quickly cancelled the service. When they asked how they could keep me as a customer,
> I requested that I be grandfathered into the old FAP policy, and, without a pause,
> told me that it was not possible and to have a "nice day".

The satellite situation should change once Starlink comes alive and becomes available at a decent price. Cable/DSL should in general still be better tho

- Stiletto

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Moving, not dead. See you when I see you. (nt) new [Re: Stiletto]
#387358 - 08/03/20 07:05 AM

> The satellite situation should change once Starlink comes alive and becomes available
> at a decent price. Cable/DSL should in general still be better tho

The trouble is both of them vary enormously depending on the condition of the network. DSL is great when it works well, but if the copper last mile rots, it’s a nightmare. Same with HFC DOCSIS cable.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 677