MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

compile mame error
#386973 - 07/05/20 02:03 AM

Hi,

I am trying to compile MAME for the first time. I have followed the steps found at https://www.mamedev.org/tools/

command used: make optimize=3

error:
Compressing src/mame/layout/mgavegas.lay...
Compressing src/mame/layout/j2hitmon.lay...
Compressing src/mame/layout/sc4cvanif.lay...
Compressing src/mame/layout/elecyoyo.lay...
Compressing src/mame/layout/chsuper.lay...
Compressing src/mame/layout/einvader.lay...
Compressing src/mame/layout/vd.lay...
Compressing src/mame/layout/h2hbaskb.lay...
Compressing src/mame/layout/m1infern.lay...
Converting src/mame/machine/mulcd.ppm...
makefile:1092: *** MINGW32 is not set. Stop.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thank you,
Jason

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: compile mame error new [Re: Jason]
#386976 - 07/05/20 03:33 AM

> Hi,

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

Re: compile mame error new [Re: Robbbert]
#386977 - 07/05/20 04:03 AM

sometimes, what you are looking for is right in front of you.

Thank you Robbbert

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: compile mame error new [Re: Jason]
#387024 - 07/09/20 07:12 PM

I'm trying to follow the steps from the link above to compile my own mame but I want to edit some of the drivers before compiling. I did all the steps and downloaded the source with this command line:

git clone https://github.com/mamedev/mame.git

and now I need to know how can I edit, for example, atarig1.cpp to make some changes to it through the Mingw64 console?

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: compile mame error new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#387025 - 07/09/20 08:47 PM

> I'm trying to follow the steps from the link above to compile my own mame but I want
> to edit some of the drivers before compiling. I did all the steps and downloaded the
> source with this command line:
>
> git clone https://github.com/mamedev/mame.git
>
> and now I need to know how can I edit, for example, atarig1.cpp to make some changes
> to it through the Mingw64 console?

Use a capable text editor that can handle unicode should be good enough to adjust source files.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: compile mame error new [Re: Tafoid]
#387034 - 07/10/20 07:38 PM

Thanks! I've successfully compiled it but the resulting .exe is large

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#387045 - 07/11/20 04:15 PM

Is there any tool to reduce the executable size?

Colin Howell
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/31/09
Send PM

#387046 - 07/11/20 04:54 PM

> Is there any tool to reduce the executable size?

If you're only interested in specific drivers, the best way by far to reduce both executable size and build time is to use the SOURCES option, which tells the MAME build system to only build MAME for the specific drivers listed. For example, make REGENIE=1 SOURCES=src/mame/drivers/atarig1.cpp,src/mame/drivers/mw8080bw.cpp would reconfigure the MAME build to only include the atarig1 and mw8080bw drivers. (You would only need to add REGENIE=1 the first time you did this build, since that's a general option for reconfiguring the build system.) The resulting MAME executable would be much smaller and quicker to build, but would also only be able to run games from those specific drivers.

SOURCES is described a bit more in the MAME documentation's page on compilation, especially in the section on building the Emscripten version for embedding MAME in web browsers. The remarks on SOURCES in that part of the documentation also apply to ordinary builds.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: compile mame error new [Re: Colin Howell]
#387051 - 07/12/20 07:13 AM

> > Is there any tool to reduce the executable size?
>
> If you're only interested in specific drivers, the best way by far to reduce both
> executable size and build time is to use the SOURCES option, which tells the MAME
> build system to only build MAME for the specific drivers listed. For example, make
> REGENIE=1 SOURCES=src/mame/drivers/atarig1.cpp,src/mame/drivers/mw8080bw.cpp would
> reconfigure the MAME build to only include the atarig1 and mw8080bw drivers. (You
> would only need to add REGENIE=1 the first time you did this build, since that's a
> general option for reconfiguring the build system.) The resulting MAME executable
> would be much smaller and quicker to build, but would also only be able to run games
> from those specific drivers.
>
> SOURCES is described a bit more in the MAME documentation's page on compilation,
> especially in the section on building the Emscripten version for embedding MAME in
> web browsers. The remarks on SOURCES in that part of the documentation also apply to
> ordinary builds.

Wow!!! Thanks Colin, this will make things a lot easier for sure!! The whole source takes forever to compile.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 829