RECLAIMING MY TIME, MOTHERFUCKER

The only golf Trump gets in prison is a black 1-wood >> Welcome to the War Room
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

putting past negative icons to rest
#386653 - 06/08/20 01:20 AM

A controversial statue finally gets taken down and dumped into the river. Although more appropriate would be recover statue and place in an appropriate museum. It has no meaning being out on streets as a daily negative reminder to citizens passing by with a statue displaying a reminder of: 'guess who owned you and your ancestors.'

I added the question and answer posts since it is explained of why the action was taken.

--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04NXGb1pA6g

British protesters topple Edward Colston statue

Protesters in Bristol, England, on June 7 pulled down the statue of Edward Colston, who made his fortune through slavery and was on the board of the Royal African Company in the 17th century.

Which raises the question: why was that statue there in the first place?

When it was erected in 1895 he was known as a politician and philanthropist. But 30 years later an historian discovered he had traded in slaves. It became therefore controversial, the arguments for it was that all merchants were involved in this industry at that time and it was condemned by nobody back then, they held onto his work in establishing hospitals. But he was right in the thick of it, that's basically how he made his break, so the slavery thing loomed over it for a long time. They tried to put a plaque explanation, but that caused debates too. A black historian on the BBC says it should be put in the museum and explained to people. I think that's best. Now with the graffiti too, can talk about all aspects of it.

'Sambos' restaurant name be gone and to eventually be replaced with a different name for the restaurant.

--
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213560109

Sambos restaurant FINALLY gets rid of that offensive name

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Sambos-Santa-Barbara-changes-name-protest-15323128.php

The only remaining location of a historic breakfast chain in Santa Barbara is changing its name after thousands of people petitioned against its use of a racial epithet.

The owners of Sambo's on W. Cabrillo Blvd. haven't decided on a new name yet, but agreed that it was time for the 63-year-old restaurant to take action amid nationwide protests against police brutality and widespread racism. On Thursday, staff began to temporarily cover the bubble-lettered sign with symbols demonstrating peace and love.

"Our family has looked into our hearts and realize that we must be sensitive when others whom we respect make a strong appeal. So today we stand in solidarity with those seeking change and doing our part as best we can," Chad and Michelle Stevens wrote in a joint statement on the restaurant's Facebook page.

When the restaurant was established in 1957, founders Sam Battistone — Chad's grandfather — and Newell Bohnett chose the title because it combined the first three letters of Battistone's name and the last two of Bohnett's. The term is a derogatory slur against black and indigenous people, and the decision forced several locations to close or rename throughout the 1980s, according to the Santa Barbara Independent.

--

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: putting past negative icons to rest new [Re: gregf]
#386658 - 06/08/20 05:54 AM

There in lies the problem, all the stupidity put into a statue... Really? And that statue has be3n doing what? Opressing you? And here I thought it was an inanimate object, unable to move, walk or talk or even blink.

I had family that actually walked the trail of tears, they were full blooded Cherokee, lost some on that "walk" and reparations are there for the taking BUT it happened to my ancestors not to me. My actions and choices are my own so I don't need "paid" for my ancestors grief, it should have never happened but it did. The point is EVERYONE can find something in their lives to blame, how about instead of looking for blame we actually do something to better ourselves and those around us instead of looking for inanimate objects to take the responsibility off of ourselves ?

Only here to annoy...

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: putting past negative icons to rest new [Re: Renegade]
#386730 - 06/17/20 11:39 AM

>There in lies the problem, all the stupidity put into a statue... Really? And that statue
>has be3n doing what? Opressing you? And here I thought it was an inanimate object, unable
>to move, walk or talk or even blink.

To those in which their ancestors were affected, the statues being out on public streets or parks are a daily reminder to them....that is when not having to be in a hurry and go about daily business. One tv interview that I recall watching was where a tourist guide at some park, I don't recall which place, indicated that the statue would be better being relocated to a museum instead of being located at a park. I agree with that opinion. Instead of any Gen. Lee tribute statue at a park, how about the statue being moved to a museum and replace statue area with something that provides information such as plant life, or animals that are unique to the specific park......something that does not need to be brought up as a reminder. Leave that to museums or actual US civil war battlefields that took place back then. Unfortunately some of the actual civil war battlefields have now been bulldozed and buried by residential or business properties.

>I had family that actually walked the trail of tears, they were full blooded Cherokee,
>lost some on that "walk" and reparations are there for the taking BUT it happened to my
>ancestors not to me. My actions and choices are my own so I don't need "paid" for my
>ancestors grief, it should have never happened but it did.

Yep. The stuff that will still stand as a reminder: Auschwitz camp, US internment camps (Manzanar in California), what is left of Berlin Wall etc. Some did get justice while unfortunately many others affected were unable to.

Pages: 1

The only golf Trump gets in prison is a black 1-wood >> Welcome to the War Room
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Smitdogg 
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 524