View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Proof of Concept - Tilted artwork w/ MAME
#384891 - 01/02/20 09:40 AM Attachment: mspacmnf.zip 2503 KB (28 downloads)

Every so often, I read something on the internet that gets on my nerves. I'm not talking in general, 'cause... duh... it's the internet. I'm talking specifically in regards to MAME and Arcade Artwork.

A couple months ago, I came across something, somewhere (I'm purposely being vague), that got under my skin, but I was busy trying to get the last update put together. Now that that is done, I can address it.

The poster of said example was showing how to run an arcade game with artwork with a more "tilted" perspective, along with the game screen, to give that "realistic" feel. But this was using that frontend that begins with "R" that uses "cores" from different programs to run stuff. For MAME, said frontend uses a core that is about 16 years old. Anyway...

There were two specific comments that really irked me.

1) Random user asked if it was possible to also make this work in MAME. The reply back was "No, Mame is outdated software. It's not capable of doing these things like Rxxxxx."

2) When a random user asked the question of how they could replicate this on their end, the reply to them was "If you donate I'll tell you."

One... it's MAME, not Mame. Mame is a Broadway musical that came out in 1966; MAME is an emulator that runs a bunch of cool stuff.

Two... it angers me when people speak about a thing, using a tone or reference of authority, when in reality they don't know what they are talking about in regards to that thing. All that does is spread misinformation.

Three... give me money for this MAME related thing. I have no words to express how I feel about that one. Well... I do... but I'm trying to stay family friendly here.

With all that out of the way, here's something I threw together today:

-- Use attached artwork file to run mspacmnf
-- Run MAME using the following options:

video bgfx
bgfx_screen_chains crt-geom

-- Once in MAME, use the "~" menu, and change the following options to the listed values:

tilt x = -0.90
distance to screen = 4.0

That's it. You can now run the game above, in the most recent version of MAME, and it will look like the screenshot below.

Now... changes you make in the "~" menu aren't permanent... if you want to keep these changes for this game:

- Copy the mspacmnf.ini file in this ZIP to the \ini subfolder of your MAME install
- Copy the crt-geom_mspacmnf.json file in this ZIP to the \bgfx\chains subfolder of your MAME install

Now you can always play this game with this artwork view.

This file will be part of the next artwork update.

Mini-update... file added to MAME Artwork page.

I'm sure now other people will come up with some fun ways to use this info.

Edited by Mr. Do (01/02/20 11:40 AM)

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Proof of Concept - Tilted artwork w/ MAME new [Re: Mr. Do]
#384892 - 01/02/20 09:41 AM Attachment: mspacmnf.png 549 KB (4 downloads)

Screenshot

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#384894 - 01/02/20 01:02 PM

F

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

#384898 - 01/02/20 05:27 PM

Very nice.
Is there a way to tilt multiple screens at different angles? (such as the "wrap-around" side screens in TX-1)

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Proof of Concept - Tilted artwork w/ MAME new [Re: Comboman]
#384900 - 01/02/20 05:32 PM

> Very nice.
> Is there a way to tilt multiple screens at different angles? (such as the
> "wrap-around" side screens in TX-1)

Daaaaang... I think so. I know what I'm working on next, now.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#384901 - 01/03/20 10:12 AM

yes you can & I've done it. When you set the game to use BGFX, it will give you options for the multiple screens. Set them to use the bgfx_screen_chains crt-geom settings Mr Do described & you can use the tilt settings for each screen

Edited by Envisaged0ne (01/03/20 10:14 AM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/06
Send PM

#384902 - 01/04/20 01:24 AM

That is so freaking cool!

cyberdman

Antolin
www.VCabinet.es
Reged: 02/07/12
Loc: Spain
Send PM

#384966 - 01/09/20 05:25 PM

I have used that function for my Artworks for a long time

you can download them for free at

* link removed; see next post *

Edited by Mr. Do (01/10/20 02:55 PM)

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Proof of Concept - Tilted artwork w/ MAME new [Re: Antolin]
#384970 - 01/10/20 02:54 PM Attachment: thanks for nothing.jpg 19 KB (0 downloads)

> I have used that function for VCabinet Artworks for a long time
>
>
> you can download them for free at *link removed for reasons stated below*

Neat... and here I thought I had an original idea. Good job.

BTW... a lot of those look really nice, e.g. Outrun.

Funny, though how how all of the credits are stripped out of the LAY files, and replaced with just a link to your website.

That way you can pretend that you did all of this wonderful artwork all by yourself from start to finish, and in no way did you grab these files from another site, and simply modify them slightly to create a new artwork file. Especially in Outrun, where you blatantly leave the control panel images in the file.

Not to mention that half the point of your artwork is to promote the sales of your cabinet and design, of which all of that money goes straight to you and no one else.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Antolin
www.VCabinet.es
Send PM

#384971 - 01/10/20 03:40 PM

I have been editing artworks for many years and I have never sold anything. I started making them for my personal use and decided to share them for free so that whoever wants and likes them can use them. As I said, I do not sell anything. In the lay files there are no credits because I write them from scratch and the artworks that I use are of different origins, mainly downloaded from your website, but I have never said they were mine.

I also designed several types of arcade to adapt the monitor vertically and use my artworks. I don't sell arcade cabinets either. But it's easier to insult without knowing ...

If you check my post, you will see that I have been sharing my artworks for a long time, during which they have changed a lot but following the same idea and I have NEVER charged for anything, I have always shared them FREE OF CHARGE.

I will not go into insults or provocations, that already goes into the education of each.

Happy new year to all

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Proof of Concept - Tilted artwork w/ MAME new [Re: Antolin]
#384973 - 01/10/20 04:55 PM Attachment: for_sale but not really.png 247 KB (2 downloads)

> I have been editing artworks for many years and I have never sold anything. I started
> making them for my personal use and decided to share them for free so that whoever
> wants and likes them can use them. As I said, I do not sell anything. In the lay
> files there are no credits because I write them from scratch and the artworks that I
> use are of different origins, mainly downloaded from your website, but I have never
> said they were mine.

Outrun is a perfect example of how you do not write them from scratch. As you needed to be able to have the animated shifter and start button in your artwork, you left all of that in there, and simply altered the lay file to use your new bezel artwork. And in all your files, you still leave the "gamename.lay" comment in the top of the file, which isn't necessary; it is just something I have always used on my end.

And the bezel artwork part; yes, you did the additional work of adding the "cabinet" elements around the bezel and marquee. But you would not have an Outrun file today of that quality, if you hadn't grabbed all the artwork from here. (Otherwise, I'm sure you would have created a file for Outrun of that quality much sooner than when it was released here in June).

You say "I have never said they were mine." *eyeroll*

By stripping out the credits, replacing it with a link to your website, and posting it on your Facebook page, with no other comments, you are implying that you did all the work.

> I also designed several types of arcade to adapt the monitor vertically and use my
> artworks. I don't sell arcade cabinets either. But it's easier to insult without
> knowing ...

My apologies then... 'cause when I go to your website, I see this comment at the bottom of the homepage:

"Y aquí estamos, tras varios años y diferentes diseños de artworks, he decidido crear esta web para compartir los VCabinet artworks que voy creando, además de diferentes versiones de MAME que modifico para usar en las VCabinet"

You are saying that you are creating artworks to use in the VCabinet. And on the hardware page, you show renders of the upright and bartop versions of the VCabinet.

I guess I misunderstood then... so you are saying that there is only one VCabinet in existence, and it's at your house? And rather than show pictures of the actual cabinet in your house, you simply show renders of it on your site. My bad for misconstruing that as getting people to ask you how to get one.

And in the pic from your Facebook below, the poll asking if you should sell plans for the VCabinet... that was just for fun, and you weren't actually planning on selling anything, right?

> If you check my post, you will see that I have been sharing my artworks for a long
> time, during which they have changed a lot but following the same idea and I have
> NEVER charged for anything, I have always shared them FREE OF CHARGE.

I never implied you you sold artwork. I'm fully aware of all the artwork you posted here. In 2012/2013. And after not posting here for over four years, you come in and reply to this thread "hey, my artwork already does that, come to my Facebook page and take a look."

> I will not go into insults or provocations, that already goes into the education of
> each.

So let me explain my issue a bit, if you seem "insulted." It is because of things like this that people don't contribute over here anymore. Go back to 2006... there was very little hi-res artwork floating around on the internet, then this project started. Multiple people together put in thousands of hours of their own time to build up the library that is now available here today, and you can see every one of their names on this page:

https://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork_thanks.php

Then... all of the "widescreen" people come around, to make artwork compatible with HyperSpin, Launchbox, Retroyuck, you, etc. Other people have YouTube channels dedicated to releasing artwork for MAME and the others above. And they all immediately thank each other when they borrow from one another, or thank ArcadeArtwork.org, who also, takes all the artwork from here and posts it there.

But if someone uses artwork from here... they don't say jack shit. That is a great big giant FUCK YOU to all the people that have put in time over here over the last 13-14 years.

(Disclaimer: Mr RetroLust and ArsInvictus are recent people who actually have credited and mentioned where they got their original art from).

And you are all nonchalant about it... "I never said it was mine." So you are saying if someone took your stuff, and posted it somewhere else, and did not even mention you, you would be completely okay with that? I can take your artwork now, post it on my page, and put my name to it?

And forego on giving me the speech about how since everything here is already available for free, I should have known things like this were going to happen. Duh... I've always known that, and accepted that it would happen, and continues to happen.

But for people to be so brazen to do it, then come and post here to bring attention to it, that is a giant slap in the face, like if someone went and posted on the official MAME forum to advertise a 60-in-1 PCB.

> Happy new year to all

Same

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Antolin
www.VCabinet.es
Send PM

#384974 - 01/10/20 05:40 PM Attachment: Screenshot_2020-01-10-16-32-11-316_com.android.chrome.jpg 655 KB (0 downloads)

First of all, in reference to credits, you're right. Before I put them on, I spent some time without doing artworks, and when I did them again I didn't realize putting them on. I did not do it with any bad intention and I will correct it as soon as I can.
I make the artworks in 3d, the reason why I used the original control panel in the outrun artwork was to save modeling and rendering time, the same for copying the code of the layout given to the gearshift.
Regarding the sale of the plans of the arcade models that I designed, you would also see the previous post, in which I say that my PC broke down and because I was unemployed it was to be able to buy another PC, not as a business.
I built my own vcabinet bartop a few years ago and shared the plans with everyone who asked for them, so I imagine there will be more people who made it (I know two at least). Now I wanted to build a new one with my new design, but I need to save money for the materials.

* sorry for the image size, I'm posting from the phone

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by Antolin (01/10/20 05:43 PM)

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#385245 - 02/11/20 07:22 AM

I already set one up like this for Tron, which kicks every major brand of ass. Too bad it can't yet be done with vector games, because Cosmic Chasm would look great too.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#385246 - 02/11/20 07:24 AM

I had to set up separate json files for left and right screens to get this to work with TX-1, but it really feels like the cabinet now.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#385355 - 02/26/20 07:57 PM Attachment: tx1shot.png 1626 KB (3 downloads)

Thus:

Attachment

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: Proof of Concept - Tilted artwork w/ MAME new [Re: Nightvoice]
#385356 - 02/26/20 11:46 PM

Care to share your ini file for the game and artwork.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Proof of Concept - Tilted artwork w/ MAME new [Re: joey35car]
#385358 - 02/27/20 02:44 AM Attachment: tx1.zip 3360 KB (20 downloads)

Nothing magical here. Related files attached.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#385359 - 02/27/20 04:09 AM

Oh It's magic. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwSXm8BZvAU

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#385913 - 04/15/20 05:04 AM Attachment: TX1 UPDATE.zip 3361 KB (12 downloads)

Nightvoice,

After much trial and error I managed to get this to work.

The TX1.ini file has much more information than is necessary and can cause issues on custom setups like mine where assets are kept outside of Mame. It was also causing the game to crash out.

I stripped the ini file down to match MrDo!'s layout. Hopefully I did not strip to much.

2nd. You are using a custom file called "scanlines75x2.png"
This does not come with Mame so I switched it to
aperture_1_2_bgr.png
Probably not what you had in mind but it works for now.
Personally I would rather see it as you intended.

Please see attached zip file
TrevEB

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Proof of Concept - Tilted artwork w/ MAME new [Re: TrevEB]
#385916 - 04/15/20 02:13 PM

Hmm. I hadn't paid much attention to the scanlines file, mainly the screen tilts.

Thanks to this, I noticed that for reasons unknown, the crt-geom folder is hidden and not easily gotten to. If not for that, the easy solution would be to copy the scanlines*.png file to there. The folder isn't showing as hidden once you get to it, but Win 7 doesn't list it in the chains folder. ???

Edited by Nightvoice (04/15/20 02:44 PM)

TrevEB
Send PM

#385918 - 04/15/20 06:24 PM

There is a scanlines.png file that Mame includes with each release.

The file you are using is scanlines75x2.png which I could not find anywhere so either you made it yourself or its from a much earlier version of Mame.

Generally I just extract the latest release on top of the old. Eventually either something stops working or I house clean, starting over with a clean slate.

Anyhow, I love this feature.
It would be cool if the tilt could be somehow tied to choosing full cabinet artwork. Or maybe a frontend could handle the setup. That would be the easiest method for now.

Please feel free to post your other tilt art layouts such as Tron.
TiltART
T_ART files.  🤣

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#385919 - 04/15/20 08:52 PM Attachment: tron files.zip 7705 KB (9 downloads)

Tron files attached. If scanlines.png doesn't work on your setup, change it to what you use.

Yes, I tend to launch everything from a command line assembler because I use three different hardware setups plus pinball. One thing I wish could be addressed is how there are visible "curve lines" when you use scanlines on a curved screen that look kind of funky. I'd even settle for a screen tilt option on vector games, but everything I've read says that's not possible. Would be great for Cosmic Chasm.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#385920 - 04/15/20 09:02 PM

Fwiw, scanlines75x2 is one of mine. It's included in the mameui packages.

TrevEB
Send PM

#385922 - 04/15/20 11:12 PM Attachment: tx1 pic 2.jpg 218 KB (1 downloads)

Well still chasing down problems. I've trialed and error this to death and can't figure it out.

When I choose the w/tilt in the video options it gets messed up.

Removing the "OSD Per-Window Video Options" in the ini file solved the problem in other video settings but not the w/ tilt setting.

Why do I care?
The w/ tilt setup has the 3 screens properly sized as seen in Nightvoice's screenshot.

Attachment

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#385923 - 04/16/20 12:38 AM Attachment: tx1.zip 3357 KB (7 downloads)

Something to consider: Only a couple of the views in the artwork file will work with the tilting. The others were designed for use WITHOUT it. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a one-size-fits-all layout that works in both modes. The attached version of the artwork file has the only marquee view that displays correctly on my system. If that doesn't help, I'm at a loss. Another thing to be careful of is that in the .ini file the screen chains are in the correct order (left, right, middle).

bgfx_screen_chains tx1left,tx1right,tx1center

Edited by Nightvoice (04/16/20 12:41 AM)

TrevEB
Send PM

#385927 - 04/16/20 04:03 AM

Ok, finally got it to work.
Beats me what was wrong. I just started from scratch again and its all working proper now.

You do have one other custom item.
shadow_mask_texture
masks\scanlinesv.png

So, see if you have a masks folder?

Man who am I going to bill all this time to.

TrevEB

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#385933 - 04/16/20 10:39 AM

I've had that happen, especially with TX-1, where it's AFU, then you restart it and it works fine. *shrug* Yes, I put my masks in their own folder to keep stuff clean. Far from the only custom thing in my ini files. In sum, if you have it working, beautiful.

viajante
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/30/13
Send PM

#387662 - 08/29/20 08:49 AM

Thank you so much for clarifying. Many years ago I was using MAME 0.161 with a MOD version from HLSL files to be able to tilt the bezel. That was not a good solution but at least bring me courage to modify or create artworks for tilt screen. Later when asking if the newer MAME versions were able to handle it nobody found a solution. I got discouraged to move forward and stop to modify artworks. Now Im happy to read this post. Im too busy to work at moment but I plan go back on 2021 and restart my old cabinet projects including those artworks for tilt screen.

Bigal
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/22/21
Send PM

#389729 - 01/27/21 05:23 PM Attachment: Arcade Backup Screenshot 2021.01.27 - 15.16.43.81.png 2094 KB (1 downloads)

saw your post on youtube, tilting is great, ive done buggy boy using crt-geom_mspacmnf but cannot get it to save the tilts? any help would be appreciated..

ive managed to do it from the help in your mspacman file, i didnt realise at 1st i had to edit the actual json file...thank you.

Attachment

Edited by Bigal (01/27/21 06:35 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
1 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1883