MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Suggestion on a Soundbar
#383945 - 10/14/19 09:54 AM

I was trying to decide on which Soundbar to get to use with my PC.

TaoTronics

or

Cosoos

I (haha) flipped a coin and it looks like I may go with the Cosoos soundbar.

But I'm posting this here to get a 2nd (and more informed) opinion.

Or perhaps somebody would have another suggestion.

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

decided... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#383949 - 10/15/19 09:18 AM

I went ahead and ordered the Cosoos soundbar. I do have some smaller/cheaper speakers for my PC, but I'm thinking/hoping these will sound clearer/crisper.

Besides, it looks like the other one is out of stock.

It is longer than my monitor, but that's okay since I can split it and put them on the sides. Or I may use them with my other gaming consoles (and choosing the input). I do have some large horn speakers I constructed some years back, but as big as they are (even if they sound nice) aren't really that practical.

LEVEL-4

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: decided... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#383984 - 10/19/19 06:17 PM

> It is longer than my monitor, but that's okay since I can split it and put them on
> the sides. Or I may use them with my other gaming consoles (and choosing the input).
> I do have some large horn speakers I constructed some years back, but as big as they
> are (even if they sound nice) aren't really that practical.

If you have your PC and consoles relatively close to each other, consider a small audio mixer. Then you won't have to switch plugs all the time. Something like this could work:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4X6N7I/
(not a recommendation because I have no idea whether it's any good, it's just for inspiration)

nearly-related story:

A friend visited me from Denmark a few years back and he bought a 2.1 speaker system for me at the local parallel import mall. It sounds pretty good for what it is but it didn't take long before I discovered something wrong with it: The subwoofer does not sum L+R into mono like it should, it only plays the left channel!
It doesn't matter too much for most music, but as you might imagine it really destroys certain Beatles songs and other older recordings with hard panned instruments.
Over time I have found two other speaker sets like mine and they have the same issue.

S

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: decided... new [Re: Sune]
#384017 - 10/21/19 12:02 PM

> > It is longer than my monitor, but that's okay since I can split it and put them on
> > the sides. Or I may use them with my other gaming consoles (and choosing the
> input).
> > I do have some large horn speakers I constructed some years back, but as big as
> they
> > are (even if they sound nice) aren't really that practical.
>
> If you have your PC and consoles relatively close to each other, consider a small
> audio mixer. Then you won't have to switch plugs all the time. Something like this
> could work:
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4X6N7I/
> (not a recommendation because I have no idea whether it's any good, it's just for
> inspiration)
>

I might look into that... But I don't have my consoles close to my PC. But that could change at anytime.

This soundbar does have multiple types of input. Like optical, RCA plugs, HDMI(?), etc. And the remote lets you select the input. So, I'm assuming one could connect different sources (as long as they're not turned on simultaneously) and simply select whichever one is using whichever source (PC, console, TV, etc).

I haven't done that yet though. & probably won't anyway.

LEVEL-4

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

#384224 - 11/10/19 02:25 AM

> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4X6N7I/
> (not a recommendation because I have no idea whether it's any good, it's just for
> inspiration)

ROLLS is a very good brand. I have the MA255, it's excellent even if more expensive.

But being able to find something that mix and amplifiy various sound source is hard.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: decided... new [Re: remax]
#384227 - 11/10/19 04:48 AM

> > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4X6N7I/
> > (not a recommendation because I have no idea whether it's any good, it's just for
> > inspiration)
>
> ROLLS is a very good brand. I have the MA255, it's excellent even if more expensive.
>
> But being able to find something that mix and amplifiy various sound source is hard.

I guess so, but Tom does not need a mixer that has an amplifier because his soundbar has an amp built in.

If I was shopping for something like this, I'd definitely go for a pair of active speakers, like a pair of "home studio" monitors, and a passive mixer, for example the Yamaha MG10.

I can't really say why though, I guess it seems natural to me having the amp in the speakers instead of in the mixer.

S

remax
MAME Fan
Send PM

#384236 - 11/10/19 08:57 PM

>
> I guess so, but Tom does not need a mixer that has an amplifier because his soundbar
> has an amp built in.
>
> If I was shopping for something like this, I'd definitely go for a pair of active
> speakers, like a pair of "home studio" monitors, and a passive mixer, for example the
> Yamaha MG10.
>
> I can't really say why though, I guess it seems natural to me having the amp in the
> speakers instead of in the mixer.
>
> S

Yeah, that was not to say that he needed an amp, just to explain why mine is expensive.

All is important in my previous post is "ROLLS is good"

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#384240 - 11/11/19 01:46 AM

> >
> > I guess so, but Tom does not need a mixer that has an amplifier because his
> soundbar
> > has an amp built in.
> >
> > If I was shopping for something like this, I'd definitely go for a pair of active
> > speakers, like a pair of "home studio" monitors, and a passive mixer, for example
> the
> > Yamaha MG10.
> >
> > I can't really say why though, I guess it seems natural to me having the amp in the
> > speakers instead of in the mixer.
> >
> > S
>
> Yeah, that was not to say that he needed an amp, just to explain why mine is
> expensive.
>
> All is important in my previous post is "ROLLS is good"

Got it. Don't mind me, I'm just making conversation lol.

S

remax
MAME Fan
Send PM

#384316 - 11/20/19 08:16 PM

> Got it. Don't mind me, I'm just making conversation lol.
>
> S

Well, that's the place for.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#384333 - 11/23/19 06:00 AM

> > Got it. Don't mind me, I'm just making conversation lol.
>
> Well, that's the place for.

Except it's as dead as the ancient pyramids in here. This place used to be cooking.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 176 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 690