View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

xinput support in MAME?
#383054 - 07/14/19 11:13 AM

Is there a way to use xinput controllers (specifically an XBOX 360 controller) in MAME as an input device?

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: xinput support in MAME? new [Re: jonwil]
#383055 - 07/14/19 12:52 PM

> Is there a way to use xinput controllers (specifically an XBOX 360 controller) in
> MAME as an input device?

-joystickprovider
Provider for joystick input: winhybrid, dinput, xinput or none

Adjust mame.ini or add that trigger to represent your desired mode.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: xinput support in MAME? new [Re: Tafoid]
#383060 - 07/15/19 03:56 AM

> > Is there a way to use xinput controllers (specifically an XBOX 360 controller) in
> > MAME as an input device?
>
> -joystickprovider
> Provider for joystick input: winhybrid, dinput, xinput or none
>
> Adjust mame.ini or add that trigger to represent your desired mode.

Technical question: Out of curiosity, why would -joystick not work with Xbox controllers?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

Re: xinput support in MAME? new [Re: Master O]
#383061 - 07/15/19 04:04 AM

> Technical question: Out of curiosity, why would -joystick not work with Xbox
> controllers?

Xbox360 controllers work fine with:
joystick                  1
joystickprovider auto

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: xinput support in MAME? new [Re: abelenki]
#383084 - 07/18/19 03:39 AM

I believe the 'auto' default may have been changed to hybrid, which can detect xinput AND directinput and keep track of them (since xinput devices also appear as directinput).

If it isn't the default, you can change the provider to the hybrid one.

https://docs.mamedev.org/commandline/commandline-all.html?highlight=hybrid

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

hevymac
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/22/23
Send PM

Re: xinput support in MAME? new [Re: jonwil]
#396526 - 06/22/23 01:18 PM

Im having this problem.
Trying to play my games with my children.
I used to use Mame all the time about 20 years ago, and after a long hiatus of not playing video games I'm back. But now nothing works by the look of it.
The only explanation I've seen is that Mame is now too "perfect". Really?

I've spent days getting some roms to work and now it does not recognise xinput. Really? It's not like it's used by, hundreds of millions of people worldwide for a wide veriety of software. So, I take it that I can't use steam control setup for it also, as I've tried, and the steam forums are not helpful.
The other software I used to used (to map key to a ps controller) got discontinued and is nonfunctional due to its creator having died about a decade ago.

What's the best option? I have a Logitech control, but it has hard coded enormous deadzones, completely unusable for me.

Edited by hevymac (06/22/23 01:20 PM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: xinput support in MAME? new [Re: hevymac]
#396527 - 06/22/23 05:53 PM

Wut? Xinput on Windows works fine, and I’ve tested it extensively, as well as soliciting user testing.

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/25/19
Loc: Virginia
Send PM

#396529 - 06/23/23 12:09 AM

You did not specify the controller model, but most Logitech controllers (especially older ones) don't use the XInput protocol, but use Directinput. A quick search gave me the following short list of controllers that use XInput:
Xbox family controllers
Logitech F310 Gamepad
Logitech F710 Gamepad
Sony Dualshock 3

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#396547 - 06/27/23 05:39 PM

> So, I take it that I can't use steam control setup for it
> also, as I've tried, and the steam forums are not helpful.

Are you using actual MAME, or a "MAME core" in RetroArch that you got from Steam? There are important differences, especially regarding gamepad support.

hevymac
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: xinput support in MAME? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#396677 - 07/13/23 02:43 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies!
I'm busy using separate mame cores. The standalone version, not through retroarch.
Th game support seems to be sorted out by using different versions of mame, uuuughh. And this is where I have problems with control input. I do have a Logitech xbox 360 style dinput/xinput swappable game pad, but it sucks, as it has hard coded deadzones which make it unusable by me.
I always use Steam control config if the software doesn't natively support a control pad. And it(steam) has no persistent control mode.

So, would using retroarch be a way to get better support for intput methods?
Regards
Danny

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#396678 - 07/13/23 04:49 AM

> Thank you everyone for your replies!
> I'm busy using separate mame cores. The standalone version, not through retroarch.
> Th game support seems to be sorted out by using different versions of mame, uuuughh.
> And this is where I have problems with control input. I do have a Logitech xbox 360
> style dinput/xinput swappable game pad, but it sucks, as it has hard coded deadzones
> which make it unusable by me.
> I always use Steam control config if the software doesn't natively support a control
> pad. And it(steam) has no persistent control mode.
>
> So, would using retroarch be a way to get better support for intput methods?
> Regards
> Danny

I don't think anybody understands what exactly is the problem that you're trying to solve.

S

hevymac
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: xinput support in MAME? new [Re: Sune]
#396687 - 07/15/23 06:08 AM

"I've spent days getting some roms to work and now it does not recognise xinput. Really? It's not like it's used by, hundreds of millions of people worldwide for a wide veriety of software. So, I take it that I can't use steam control setup for it also, as I've tried, and the steam forums are not helpful.
The other software I used to used (to map key to a ps controller) got discontinued and is nonfunctional due to its creator having died about a decade ago.

What's the best option? I have a Logitech control, but it has hard coded enormous deadzones, completely unusable for me.
"
I would like to use control pads, ds4 ds5 etc etc to play games with my children. .

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/25/19
Loc: Virginia
Send PM

#396688 - 07/15/23 02:35 PM

Is this what you are trying to do???
https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/blqbf3/running_mame_through_steam_and_steamlink/

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#396698 - 07/17/23 10:06 PM

> "I've spent days getting some roms to work and now it does not recognise xinput.
> Really? It's not like it's used by, hundreds of millions of people worldwide for a
> wide veriety of software. So, I take it that I can't use steam control setup for it
> also, as I've tried, and the steam forums are not helpful.
> The other software I used to used (to map key to a ps controller) got discontinued
> and is nonfunctional due to its creator having died about a decade ago.
>
> What's the best option? I have a Logitech control, but it has hard coded enormous
> deadzones, completely unusable for me.
> "
> I would like to use control pads, ds4 ds5 etc etc to play games with my children. .

Mame does support x-input though and has for some time, but no matter which protocol your input device uses, if you can see it in the Windows game controller control panel, it will also work in Mame.
You shouldn't have to use Steam to map and configure your controls, you can do that in mame. You won't need any other kind of external software to "map a key to a control", all buttons and axis on your controller are visible to MAME and can be configured and mapped in almost any way you can imagine.

Those are the reasons why your questions/problems don't make any sense to me.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 333 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3445