Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: thinking... new [Re: lharms]
#382770 - 06/16/19 10:54 AM

> Any change machines in MAME?
>
> Guess it would be screenless elctro mechanical

the old ones are screenless mechanical.. some of the new ones are web-apps running on windows 10 (yep, a full networked PC for a change machine)

not sure if any are in MAME.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: thinking... new [Re: Haze]
#382771 - 06/16/19 05:38 PM

> > Any change machines in MAME?
> >
> > Guess it would be screenless elctro mechanical
>
> the old ones are screenless mechanical.. some of the new ones are web-apps running on
> windows 10 (yep, a full networked PC for a change machine)
>
> not sure if any are in MAME.

Figured a few of them would have some sort of rom/cpu.

win 10 for a change machine. That would be some awesome overkill there... Course I have not seen one in awhile come to think of it. But then again I have not needed that sort of change in a long time. Let me guess, it has adverts on it for while you wait?

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#382777 - 06/17/19 12:20 AM

Must be some real good money in making change huh?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/first-citiwide-bank-change-ii/n9703

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#382778 - 06/17/19 12:33 AM

> > > Any change machines in MAME?
> > >
> > > Guess it would be screenless elctro mechanical
> >
> > the old ones are screenless mechanical.. some of the new ones are web-apps running
> on
> > windows 10 (yep, a full networked PC for a change machine)
> >
> > not sure if any are in MAME.
>
> Figured a few of them would have some sort of rom/cpu.
>
> win 10 for a change machine. That would be some awesome overkill there... Course I
> have not seen one in awhile come to think of it. But then again I have not needed
> that sort of change in a long time. Let me guess, it has adverts on it for while you
> wait?

It's more that even just the simplest of systems these days seem to be running on full blown PCs. Even the non-interactive onboard 'next stop' display on our buses is Win10 too (some of them got stuck in an endless reboot cycle recently - they're actually mounted upside down as all the boot screens were upside down) It's crazy to think just how much money must be going to Microsoft for licensing in cases where it's absolute overkill, it's almost the opposite to the 'MAME box' problem where manufacturers there try to pick the weakest hardware possible instead of using a real PC.

There were no ads on the change machine I saw, but it's possible, it's a remote service (if the web connection drops, as I saw, you get the standard 'cannot connect to page' browser message)

Subscription models / Software as a service / temporary licenses are 'popular' these days (with the manufacturers, it's a terrible idea for everybody else) so building on top of a PC architecture makes that easier too I guess.

I imagine you'll find change machines that run on every type of hardware between tho, depending on what was available at the time.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: thinking... new [Re: Haze]
#382781 - 06/17/19 02:14 AM

>
> It's more that even just the simplest of systems these days seem to be running on
> full blown PCs. Even the non-interactive onboard 'next stop' display on our buses is
> Win10 too (some of them got stuck in an endless reboot cycle recently - they're
> actually mounted upside down as all the boot screens were upside down) It's crazy to
> think just how much money must be going to Microsoft for licensing in cases where
> it's absolute overkill, it's almost the opposite to the 'MAME box' problem where
> manufacturers there try to pick the weakest hardware possible instead of using a real
> PC.
>
> There were no ads on the change machine I saw, but it's possible, it's a remote
> service (if the web connection drops, as I saw, you get the standard 'cannot connect
> to page' browser message)
>
> Subscription models / Software as a service / temporary licenses are 'popular' these
> days (with the manufacturers, it's a terrible idea for everybody else) so building on
> top of a PC architecture makes that easier too I guess.
>
> I imagine you'll find change machines that run on every type of hardware between tho,
> depending on what was available at the time.

Strip out most of the junk in windows and you can get it down to a fairly small size and they have an ARM version. Does not matter too much if they are just using it as simple frame display. I was a bit curious and apparently they sell it as a service at 30 cents per device per month to keep it up to date. Prob less if you buy a lot of them. Up to date is a big prob with IoT junk. Especially the connected stuff. I spent quite a large amount of time one one project doing just that. One proj I worked on they were talking 5$-30$ per copy of the xp version depending on volume. CE was usually much cheaper but total crap to work with. In the end it usually worked out about the same for any of the OS's for cost. As either way you had to manage it. Getting MS to do some of it would be very appealing business wise.

Wonder why the upside down screen. I have seen that a few times myself here and there. Maybe some technical thing for it? I can't work it out though. Could just be an option for easy install and they just flip it over if installed wrong?

But being the loony bin....
http://southpark.cc.com/clips/155590/i-dont-have-change

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 485