MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

Power Sled dumped
#382205 - 04/29/19 03:36 PM

After all these years of searching, Power Sled is finally dumped thanks to Phil Bennett:

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/b60ce1de731351e560fd27339a8804f6429beda1

We finally learn that this game runs on Model 2B CRX instead of Model 2C. I would like to know how Elsemi's Model 2 Emulator would run that game.

-.-

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: Hydreigon]
#382210 - 04/29/19 05:43 PM

> After all these years of searching, Power Sled is finally dumped thanks to Phil
> Bennett:
>
> https://jjstuff.com/product/sega-power-sled-model2-b-crx-rom-bd-834-12969-w-epr-1945x/
>
> https://jjstuff.com/product/sega-power-sled-relay-model2-b-crx-rom-bd-834-12969-w-epr-1947x/
>
> We finally learn that this game runs on Model 2B CRX instead of Model 2C. I would
> like to know how Elsemi's Model 2 Emulator would run that game.

Nice. I just now wondering what kind of that was. https://segaretro.org/File:Powersledcab.jpg I found a picture of it. Under that picture. Listed as Sega's Power Sled simulator. Screens showing 3 players. (There actually 4 players.)

Maybe the boxes can get added for the light up numbers and other things in the future as MAME artwork.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

#382212 - 04/29/19 06:46 PM

Very nice find, but I bet model 2 & 3 emulation is not at the top of the list to do atm, I personelly didn't play on all those sega type games I was more of a shmupp & platform gamer. When emulation on the sega model 2-3 is classed as working then i'll check what all the fuss was about. I'm happy with all the games that's working in MAME as I still haven't played all working 1's yet. Maybe this is the game where all devs drop everything else & just work on sega model 2-3 emulation ( lol ) THANKS

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: agard]
#382213 - 04/29/19 07:17 PM

> Very nice find, but I bet model 2 & 3 emulation is not at the top of the list to do
> atm, I personelly didn't play on all those sega type games I was more of a shmupp &
> platform gamer. When emulation on the sega model 2-3 is classed as working then i'll
> check what all the fuss was about. I'm happy with all the games that's working in
> MAME as I still haven't played all working 1's yet. Maybe this is the game where all
> devs drop everything else & just work on sega model 2-3 emulation ( lol ) THANKS

How the game will run in Mame is unpredictable. I'm glad this runs on Model 2B because of the current progress (2C's 3d barely works). Analog inputs could be possible after testing that game with an input set from gunblade, von or indy500.

-.-

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#382217 - 04/30/19 12:28 AM

> After all these years of searching, Power Sled is finally dumped thanks to Phil
> Bennett:
>
> https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/b60ce1de731351e560fd27339a8804f6429beda1
>
> We finally learn that this game runs on Model 2B CRX instead of Model 2C. I would

This sled's name wouldn't happen to be "Rosebud", now would it?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

VasiliyFamiliya
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/18/17
Send PM

#382221 - 04/30/19 04:26 AM

It's interesting, is there a Model 2 games besides Power Sled using the i960KB logr and expr opcodes?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#382228 - 04/30/19 03:09 PM

> Bennett:
>
> https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/b60ce1de731351e560fd27339a8804f6429beda1
>

I'd be interested in hearing if Phil knows the dump is complete.

One set boots a 'Slave' and the other boots as 'Satellite Relay'

Maybe the 'Slave' one can be set to 'Master' (MAME seems to give no way to get to a service mode however) but I guess, unless Phil knows this comes from a working unit, it could still be missing 'Master' ?

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Reged: 03/20/09
Loc: UA
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: Haze]
#382230 - 04/30/19 04:55 PM

> I'd be interested in hearing if Phil knows the dump is complete.

he does not, there was found and dumped 2x ROM boards (links is above in this topic), that's all, there is nothing else known about this game.

> One set boots a 'Slave' and the other boots as 'Satellite Relay'
>
> Maybe the 'Slave' one can be set to 'Master' (MAME seems to give no way to get to a
> service mode however) but I guess, unless Phil knows this comes from a working unit,
> it could still be missing 'Master' ?

not sure if its possible, at least at very start screen "this is slave machine" text chosen based on hardcoded number. even if I change number so it will say "master" - this doesn't change anything later, so, I'd guess there is more constants hardcoded in other parts of game code.
and yes - we missing "master" unit ROM board, at least (there is chances this game might have even more unit types).

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

#382231 - 04/30/19 05:01 PM

>
>
> Maybe the 'Slave' one can be set to 'Master' (MAME seems to give no way to get to a
> service mode however) but I guess, unless Phil knows this comes from a working unit,

The fact this game defaults to a 'Slave' network setting doesn't seem right. There is no indication of that on the rom board either.

Edit: MetalliC beat me to it. Dang.

Edited by Hydreigon (04/30/19 05:02 PM)

-.-

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: MetalliC]
#382232 - 04/30/19 05:01 PM

> > I'd be interested in hearing if Phil knows the dump is complete.
>
> he does not, there was found and dumped 2x ROM boards (links is above in this topic),
> that's all, there is nothing else known about this game.
>
> > One set boots a 'Slave' and the other boots as 'Satellite Relay'
> >
> > Maybe the 'Slave' one can be set to 'Master' (MAME seems to give no way to get to a
> > service mode however) but I guess, unless Phil knows this comes from a working
> unit,
> > it could still be missing 'Master' ?
>
> not sure if its possible, at least at very start screen "this is slave machine" text
> chosen based on hardcoded number. even if I change number so it will say "master" -
> this doesn't change anything later, so, I'd guess there is more constants hardcoded
> in other parts of game code.
> and yes - we missing "master" unit ROM board, at least (there is chances this game
> might have even more unit types).

so yeah, it should probably be marked as 'Slave' and 'Satellite' then

seems like another one of those multi-board Sega setups where there's only a tiny chance of us seeing a complete set (like the large scale gambling games)

there's a good chance the most important part isn't dumped at all.

I don't like having to be the one to put a negative tint on everything, but again here I think the excitement is unwarranted for the time being.

MetalGod
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/26/18
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: agard]
#382239 - 04/30/19 08:51 PM

> Very nice find, but I bet model 2 & 3 emulation is not at the top of the list to do
> atm, I personelly didn't play on all those sega type games I was more of a shmupp &
> platform gamer. When emulation on the sega model 2-3 is classed as working then i'll
> check what all the fuss was about. I'm happy with all the games that's working in
> MAME as I still haven't played all working 1's yet. Maybe this is the game where all
> devs drop everything else & just work on sega model 2-3 emulation ( lol ) THANKS

At the moment you can play model2 and model3 games using other emulators. Model 2 emulator and Supermodel3.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: MetalGod]
#382242 - 04/30/19 09:57 PM

> At the moment you can play model2 and model3 games using other emulators. Model 2
> emulator and Supermodel3.

Model 2 Emulator deserves an update with all the current Mame info and obsolete comm board emulation.

-.-

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

#382243 - 04/30/19 10:23 PM

Someone has made ui for Model 2 & 3 using latest git, plus it's so easy to use to even I can do it.

I think they're off sick the main developers of Sega's Model 2 & 3.

Sega Model 3 UI WIP 04/12/2019

Sega Model 2 UI WIP 04/02/2019

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: Dullaron]
#382254 - 05/01/19 02:00 PM

Looks like it was a bobsled simulator, of sorts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd9_5gmkb40

Apparently there was one in the London Trocadero Sega World years ago: "This floor also had 3 rides- the first was Power Sled, a bobsled simulator that would throw you 360 degrees around and was a later addition to the floor.": http://tedsegablog.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-rise-and-fall-of-london-trocadero.html

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Send PM

#382257 - 05/01/19 11:58 PM Attachment: psled.png 446 KB (0 downloads)

> so yeah, it should probably be marked as 'Slave' and 'Satellite' then
>
> seems like another one of those multi-board Sega setups where there's only a tiny
> chance of us seeing a complete set (like the large scale gambling games)
>
> there's a good chance the most important part isn't dumped at all.
>
> I don't like having to be the one to put a negative tint on everything, but again
> here I think the excitement is unwarranted for the time being.

yeah, it seems to be "satellite-only" game, which uses not exactly same as usual comm.board, this game expecting it to be at 0x01A0xxxx, not usual 0x01A1xxxx, not sure if a mirror or a bit modified PCB.

"Slave" looks like client/player game unit,
"Relay" more like unit, which may show screen from one of player Slave units, "as is" or at different view angles (i.e. might be used to build multi-screen display), and also play music (Slave units plays only sfx, that's why Relay have 2x large sound ROMs).
I'm still not sure about Main/Master, it might be one more Model2 PCB, or some simpler relay device, some kind of network hub.

anyway, using a bit of debugger trickery I forced it to show something.

I've also hacked Slave ROM to think it is Master, added comm.board mirror, and it is happily passes initial networking check, but dies later.
because of different comm. shared RAM control locations (frame offset, size, etc), so current M2 comm HLE doesn't really work here.

perhaps we may ping Ariane Fugmann, who did good work on M1/M2 comm.BD HLE ?
I'd guess it will be easier task for person who familiar with this stuff.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Phil Bennett
L'Emuchat
Reged: 04/20/04
Send PM

#382261 - 05/02/19 09:23 AM

> > After all these years of searching, Power Sled is finally dumped thanks to Phil
> > Bennett:
> >
> > https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/b60ce1de731351e560fd27339a8804f6429beda1
> >
> > We finally learn that this game runs on Model 2B CRX instead of Model 2C. I would
> > like to know how Elsemi's Model 2 Emulator would run that game.
>
>
>

All I have is the two ROM boards unfortunately. I spoke with somebody who worked at Sega and installed a couple of Power Sled setups years ago but he can't remember anything pertaining to how the PCBs were configured.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#382272 - 05/02/19 03:47 PM

> Model 2 Emulator deserves an update with all the current Mame info and obsolete comm
> board emulation.

Not happening. ElSemi works for Sega now.

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: R. Belmont]
#382275 - 05/02/19 05:23 PM

Has any of his emulation work been used by Sega at all? I see emulated Model2 games in Yakuza Kiwami 2, for example.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: VirtuaIceMan]
#382282 - 05/03/19 01:12 AM

> Has any of his emulation work been used by Sega at all? I see emulated Model2 games
> in Yakuza Kiwami 2, for example.

I wonder more about how much of his emulation work has been used by MAME. My understanding is that large parts of Elsemi's code is HLE that would be difficult for MAME to use, and I'm sure Kale's thought of this stuff long before now anyway and borrowed everything he could. I just maintain some sort of distant hope for MAME to reach somewhat of a parity with M2Emu. Given the historical significance and amazing history of Sega Model 2 hardware I hope someone with knowledge of the hardware can take a crack at improving it someday. It's way high up on my wish list anyway.

jasd
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/15/10
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: Shoegazr]
#382283 - 05/03/19 02:33 AM

> > Has any of his emulation work been used by Sega at all? I see emulated Model2 games
> > in Yakuza Kiwami 2, for example.
>
> I wonder more about how much of his emulation work has been used by MAME. My
> understanding is that large parts of Elsemi's code is HLE that would be difficult for
> MAME to use, and I'm sure Kale's thought of this stuff long before now anyway and
> borrowed everything he could. I just maintain some sort of distant hope for MAME to
> reach somewhat of a parity with M2Emu. Given the historical significance and amazing
> history of Sega Model 2 hardware I hope someone with knowledge of the hardware can
> take a crack at improving it someday. It's way high up on my wish list anyway.

As far as I know that almost mamedev don’t like doing any active arcade work,they prefer doing more mess work instead,so please don‘t expect any model2 work in Mame this year

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: jasd]
#382284 - 05/03/19 04:43 AM

> As far as I know that almost mamedev don’t like doing any active arcade work,they
> prefer doing more mess work instead,so please don‘t expect any model2 work in Mame
> this year

Even with those shortcomings, they are still better than Yuzu.

-.-

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: VirtuaIceMan]
#382320 - 05/06/19 02:09 AM

As far as I know, the PS3/360 releases of Daytona USA, etc from Sega used his work.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Asure
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/29/04
Loc: Nederland
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: Firehawke]
#382328 - 05/06/19 01:32 PM

I was sort of under the impression that part of the Daytona 3 PC based hardware (a full leak surfaced some time ago) was running HLE emulation, and i wouldn't be surprised if that was done by him as well. The game is just a front end that sits around Daytona emulation, reskinning and interfacing to d3d to show the visuals.

Also wasn't there some other emulation code in there? Bronx or Vipers? I forget easily

Edited by Asure (05/06/19 01:33 PM)

MAMEfan2000
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/05/19
Send PM

#384533 - 12/05/19 12:29 AM

How did you force this game to show something using a debugger?

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Send PM

Re: Power Sled dumped new [Re: MAMEfan2000]
#384538 - 12/05/19 05:19 PM

> How did you force this game to show something using a debugger?

there is no need to, since was made necessary changes in MAME. you may run it like:

start mame64.exe powsledm -comm_localport 15112 -comm_remoteport 15113
start mame64.exe powsled -comm_localport 15113 -comm_remoteport 15114
start mame64.exe powsledr -comm_localport 15114 -comm_remoteport 15112

game will show something and play musics, but still can not function as it should, until master unit is not dumped.

MAMEfan2000
MAME Fan
Send PM

#384544 - 12/06/19 10:50 PM

I tried using that command but I got a message that says "unknown command".

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Send PM

#384551 - 12/07/19 07:59 PM

works fine here. save that 3 lines to something.cmd file in MAME folder, and run it.
make sure you have recent original (not UI) MAME and it's executable called mame64.exe

MAMEfan2000
MAME Fan
Send PM

#384552 - 12/07/19 10:28 PM

Can you please give me the steps and pictures of steps of how to make the game work like in that picture?

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Send PM

#384553 - 12/07/19 10:41 PM

> Can you please give me the steps and pictures of steps of how to make the game work
> like in that picture?

I can't, it was awile ago and I don't remember which magic was required to make game run to that screen.
also I'm not any interested in creating "10 simple steps for complete dummies"-style guides, especially "with pictures"

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 657 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2116